GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catless DP question...

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
I've looked at the threads, watched youtube videos.

I notice many people purchase CTS Catless and end up selling them. I'm trying to purchase a DP..

On my previous car (GTI MK6) I had a APR catted dp with a magnaflow CBE. I absolutely LOVED IT.

Was just loud enough with out being to crazy.

Someone told me a Mk7 is much louder...The same person said "a catless dp with stock cbe mk7 is as loud as a mk6 with full TBE".

Is this true??? I'm aiming to visit a shop in Jersey and purchase a VWR catless DP. Will this sound like a tin can or ricey? I'm going to be running stock CBE for now.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Have you been looking into how you're going to pass the emissions requirements with a catless downpipe?

Stage 2 program only turns off the CEL. But you'll have multiple emissions readiness failures and visual inspection.

Stronggside

Passed Driver's Ed
Inspections are not an issue. I do it the shady way just purchase a sticker and slap it on myself :)

BOOM inspected.

My question is..Catless DP with stock CBE? sounds bad? My Mk6 didn't drone with a DP+Stock CBE

A2MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I've looked at the threads, watched youtube videos.

I notice many people purchase CTS Catless and end up selling them. I'm trying to purchase a DP..

On my previous car (GTI MK6) I had a APR catted dp with a magnaflow CBE. I absolutely LOVED IT.

Was just loud enough with out being to crazy.

Someone told me a Mk7 is much louder...The same person said "a catless dp with stock cbe mk7 is as loud as a mk6 with full TBE".

Is this true??? I'm aiming to visit a shop in Jersey and purchase a VWR catless DP. Will this sound like a tin can or ricey? I'm going to be running stock CBE for now.

Its all personal preference. Yes it is louder I have Catless downpipe from MAP and still run stock exhaust. But in IMO has a deeper tone . YEs you can smell the e85 XD but my wife and daughter do not complain about a smell or when my car backfires so its a win win for me :cool:. Get what you want.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Catless is loud. With the stock cbe though it will be fine. I previously removed my muffler and res, so when I added my map catless dp it was stupid annoying heading to the muffler shop to get a new muffler put on. Right now I'm running straight through with a free flow magnapack where the res was. Still loud, but not until its over 3k and it's very easy to control. I'd say not for everyone though lol if you still have the stock cbe just go catless you'll be fine. Here's the car completely straight piped, then how I have it now, bare in mind it's inside. (no one should ever straight pipe these cars lol)

https://youtu.be/qvGigxraxsM

https://youtu.be/sQ1QQ9ItmCc

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I have a MAP catless + resonated downpipe for sale if you're interested

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Don’t do catless, it smells terrible for those around you.

Second, no downpipe alone sounds good paired with the stock CBE. Maybe on high idle, but out in the real world no.

There’s a big ol thread around here somewhere breaking it down, 90k views and 700+ comments so you can get a pretty decent idea based off it alone

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33309

If you want GOOD sound it’s 100% gonna need a resonator upgrade.

I have several different examples of catted, catless, resonated, non resonated and all different mufflers on my channel linked below in my sig

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
my buddy has a full turbo back from cts on his mk6 gti and i have a catted downpipe and magnaflow exhaust and I cant hear his car over mine...mines alot louder

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
just get a catted downpipe. It's a few extra bucks, but do your part for the environment and people around you. I had a catless on my s2000, was trying to save a few bucks. It smelled horrible, I changed it within 3 weeks. With the s2000, it was hard to pull horsepower out of a 240hp 4 cylinder, so that's why people did it on those, but with the gti, it's too easy to make power for cheap.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
If everyone in this country decided to remove their vehicle emissions equipment our air quality would plummet and greenhouse gases levels would soar.

If you have any children or know of any, think of them and weigh if that 10-20 extra HP is worth giving a middle finger to the earth and future generations.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Ive been running catless and the smell is not anywhere near as bad as many make it out to be. It only really smells on cold starts when its running rich but outside of that its pretty much not noticeable. I have stood behind my car with it running, and while you can smell that its catless, its completely tolerable and most people dont even notice the difference.

#REVOtuned

I personally love catless DP's. I actually have never run a catted DP on any of my previous vehicles so I can't comment on the performance differences. I have always just made sure I pair the catless DP with a high quality exhaust with either a solid free-flowing resonator or muffler set up. On our cars, AWE exhausts really gives you a very mature sound even during times of wide open throttle. The smell is definitely a very personal preference. Most "gear heads" I come across don't mind but others have commented on the heightened fragrance which to me just reminds me of an evening at the track which I define as the smell of performance. Now environmentally, it may not be the best thing I can do for mother earth but since I don't smoke I kinda look at it as my lifetime of cigarette smoke tons of people force me to unwilling smell and my lungs to unwillingly inhale everyday :rolleyes:!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If everyone in this country decided to remove their vehicle emissions equipment our air quality would plummet and greenhouse gases levels would soar.

If you have any children or know of any, think of them and weigh if that 10-20 extra HP is worth giving a middle finger to the earth and future generations.

It’s more like 1-2hp difference between a 200 cell high flow cat and catless.

Ive been running catless and the smell is not anywhere near as bad as many make it out to be. It only really smells on cold starts when its running rich but outside of that its pretty much not noticeable. I have stood behind my car with it running, and while you can smell that its catless, its completely tolerable and most people dont even notice the difference.

Not true at all. Inside I believe it’s not bad, but anyone behind you is getting fogged.

I personally love catless DP's. I actually have never run a catted DP on any of my previous vehicles so I can't comment on the performance differences. I have always just made sure I pair the catless DP with a high quality exhaust with either a solid free-flowing resonator or muffler set up. On our cars, AWE exhausts really gives you a very mature sound even during times of wide open throttle. The smell is definitely a very personal preference. Most "gear heads" I come across don't mind but others have commented on the heightened fragrance which to me just reminds me of an evening at the track which I define as the smell of performance. Now environmentally, it may not be the best thing I can do for mother earth but since I don't smoke I kinda look at it as my lifetime of cigarette smoke tons of people force me to unwilling smell and my lungs to unwillingly inhale everyday :rolleyes:!

A race car on race gas is one thing, I LOVE that smell. Same goes for AV gas, 100LL is what dreams are made of when it comes to exhaust smell. I ran it in my motocross bikes for years (bonus points for two stroke pre mix).

On the other hand, these are golfs on pump gas (99.9% of them at least) and daily driven. I see more modded mk7 than most people here on a regular basis and the smell of a catless car is overwhelmingly worse than catted. I’m in no way sensitive to fumes as my daily route consists of: working on commercial jet aircraft, welding, and working on “race cars” as my four year old would say. None of that bothers me, but I see it as irresponsible to run catless on these cars enough so that I won’t build catless downpipes unless both catted and catless sections are purchased (one person ever has gone that route).

So basically to sum it up, if I can turn down idk probably about 8k worth of work in 2018 because I don’t feel it’s right to run catless on daily driven golfs maybe you guys could think about spending the extra $112 for a decent cat.

-Jake

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It’s more like 1-2hp difference between a 200 cell high flow cat and catless.

Not true at all. Inside I believe it’s not bad, but anyone behind you is getting fogged.

A race car on race gas is one thing, I LOVE that smell. Same goes for AV gas, 100LL is what dreams are made of when it comes to exhaust smell. I ran it in my motocross bikes for years (bonus points for two stroke pre mix).

On the other hand, these are golfs on pump gas (99.9% of them at least) and daily driven. I see more modded mk7 than most people here on a regular basis and the smell of a catless car is overwhelmingly worse than catted. I’m in no way sensitive to fumes as my daily route consists of: working on commercial jet aircraft, welding, and working on “race cars” as my four year old would say. None of that bothers me, but I see it as irresponsible to run catless on these cars enough so that I won’t build catless downpipes unless both catted and catless sections are purchased (one person ever has gone that route).

So basically to sum it up, if I can turn down idk probably about 8k worth of work in 2018 because I don’t feel it’s right to run catless on daily driven golfs maybe you guys could think about spending the extra $112 for a decent cat.

-Jake

Preach it brotha. Catless stinks.

"It doesn't stink." Yeah at idle. Sit behind someone at a stoplight with your windows down and smell it when they get on it. It's awful.