GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Proper operating temp before going over 3/4K RPMs.

EinDog

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the Golf R and have a noob question about the car’s temperature. I’ve never owned a car that allowed me to see the oil temperature. I’ve previously relied on the temperature shown on the gauge cluster to let me know when the car is up to the appropriate temperature. With the Golf R though, I see that the gauge cluster temperature gets to the middle point much, much sooner than the oil temperature stabilizes (as shown from the infotainment).

So question - which temperature should I rely on to know that the car is at the proper operating temperature (e.g. can be pushed to 4K RPMs and beyond)? Do I wait for the oil temperature to get to 217 Fahrenheit where it typically stabilizes (about middle point of oil gauge, 103 Celsius)? If not, what’s the proper temperature?

Thanks in advance for any info.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
When your oil goes from "- - -" to "122" you are good to go. I usually let it get to 160 before I really rag on it so I know the other components are warm too.

The gauge you see is coolant temperature. It is not an indication of your oil temp.

rustywoodstone

Passed Driver's Ed
When your oil goes from "- - -" to "122" you are good to go. I usually let it get to 160 before I really rag on it so I know the other components are warm too.

The gauge you see is coolant temperature. It is not an indication of your oil temp.

I do the same. Also want to echo this: coolant temperature. It is not an indication of your oil temp.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
I didnt know better in my old cars(integra LS, rsx-s, is250) and i would redline the engine a few minutes after the temp needle met the middle. All those motors still run perfectly quiet with little to no oil consumption to this day.

Now, I stay off full throttle until the oil has reached at least 150-160...even tho im sure it's perfectly fine to romp on it well before then....

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just an FYI, displayed coolant temp is inaccurate.

Coolant temp at cruise is about 220. The dash and the infotainment system say 194 so it doesn't scare the idiots.

Once oil temp is 150+, I'll send it.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I try to let the oil temp at least register. I drop my kid off at school and go home and finished getting ready for work, sitting in the car pool line is generally long enough for it to get above 122.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
I didnt know better in my old cars(integra LS, rsx-s, is250) and i would redline the engine a few minutes after the temp needle met the middle. All those motors still run perfectly quiet with little to no oil consumption to this day.

Now, I stay off full throttle until the oil has reached at least 150-160...even tho im sure it's perfectly fine to romp on it well before then....

Fortunately for you—regarding your older cars—coolant temp reaching middle meant that oil was probably 'close' to temp too. These new EA888 engines close off the coolant loop so that the engine heats up faster. Definitely notice this in cold conditions as my heater blows hot air very quickly compared to any other old car I have had. What it means now is that your R is more likely to be further away from oil temp when the needle hits the middle.

The viscosity of oil at 122 is very close to what it would be at 220. But not romping until 160 and above is a good idea. Launches and whatnot, I usually wait until 200.

GFL

Late last week, I had the APR Plus tune installed on my 2018 R. Prior to this, my car's oil temperature would regularly measure between 220-223F once warmed up sufficiently. After the tune, the oil temperature will not rise above 205 regardless of how long the car is driven. It also goes below 200 on occasion while driving. Contacted APR directly and was informed that this normal behavior for the car as the oil temperature is intentionally lowered as part of the tune since the Golf R is a dual coolant system. The car seems to warm up at about the same rate as it did prior to the tune.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
i remember something with APR stage 3 cars that their tune will not allow full boost unless oil temp passes 160-175 something there forgot the exact number. but there was a point at which the SW allows full power.

tko1

Is it RPM or torque?

I don't think RPM, applied gently, is that bad. Better than gasing it at low RPM to generate power. Torque, not RPM, puts pressure on lubricated surfaces. Not that I'd suggest redlining it out of the garage, but you want a balance. 5K at light throttle isn't going to hurt.

But I'm just guessing on all of this. Any facts out there?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

None of those cars had turbos. The same oil that lubes your engine lubes and cools your turbo. Turbos are not designed to spin 100K RPM in cold oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I don't think RPM, applied gently, is that bad. Better than gasing it at low RPM to generate power. Torque, not RPM, puts pressure on lubricated surfaces. Not that I'd suggest redlining it out of the garage, but you want a balance. 5K at light throttle isn't going to hurt.

But I'm just guessing on all of this. Any facts out there?

5K is just unnecessary. I actually intentionally wind it to 3K, but at like 15% throttle lol. And don’t shift to 6th until the oil temp registers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
You can go 3,000 to 4,000 rpm on a cold engine, as long as it's very partial throttle. Get on the boost is more load on the engine, the go-pedal is a load sensor.