GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing Front Seat Back Rest Cover

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have any guide as to how to remove the front seat back rest cover for GTI seats? I need to access the seat side airbags. Thnaks!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone have any guide as to how to remove the front seat back rest cover for GTI seats? I need to access the seat side airbags. Thnaks!

Seat backs are normally installed much like you put a sandwich in a sandwich bag. But the back is turned inside out and slowly rolled over the foam back and frame. Or a plastic bag is used over the foam to allow the leather or cloth seat covering to slide over. Then plastic is torn and removed.

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
Seat backs are normally installed much like you put a sandwich in a sandwich bag. But the back is turned inside out and slowly rolled over the foam back and frame. Or a plastic bag is used over the foam to allow the leather or cloth seat covering to slide over. Then plastic is torn and removed.
How do I undo the bottom to get the cover off? I just want to make sure I don't rip or break anything so I can put the cover back on.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How do I undo the bottom to get the cover off? I just want to make sure I don't rip or break anything so I can put the cover back on.

Not an expert in this but from videos they normally have plastic hooks that hook on a rod or other plastic part. Google some videos and you could also find an auto upholstery shop and they could maybe take a look and suggest. Can you lean seat all the way back the see the bottom? Also look under from the back and you might be able to see what type of hooks are used.

Why do you need to get to the air bags? Disconnect battery if you are taking apart.
I think then you need to wait 30min or more for the power to discharged. Look up info on air bag removal from steering wheel might cover it. Has been mentioned prior on the forum.

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
Not an expert in this but from videos they normally have plastic hooks that hook on a rod or other plastic part. Google some videos and you could also find an auto upholstery shop and they could maybe take a look and suggest. Can you lean seat all the way back the see the bottom? Also look under from the back and you might be able to see what type of hooks are used.

Why do you need to get to the air bags? Disconnect battery if you are taking apart.
I think then you need to wait 30min or more for the power to discharged. Look up info on air bag removal from steering wheel might cover it. Has been mentioned prior on the forum.
I've already detached the back rest portion of the seat from everything else. I'm just trying to see the best way to open the cover without breaking it since I want to put it back together. Got a set of GTI seats, but the previous owner cut the airbag harness. I'm trying to replace the harness by getting the cover off.