GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW shifting the Golf production to Germany.

Scala

Ready to race!
Sorry but ... the German basic Golf rental that I got at Frankfurt airport had better interior plastic panels with better grain and fit and was far tighter overall than my own Mk.VII in Florida.

As for California Cabs, ^^ Dr.Kenneth, you have to get in the $80++ Clos du Val (of French ownership) to approach the lowly vin de maison in many an auberge in the Garrone.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Sorry but ... the German basic Golf rental that I got at Frankfurt airport had better interior plastic panels with better grain and fit and was far tighter overall than my own Mk.VII in Florida.

Interesting. Not my experience with our pair - '15 TDI from Puebla and '16 R from Wolfsburg. Interior panels were identical in quality & fit/finish, indistinguishable from one car to the other. And I compared them side-by-side shortly after bringing the R home.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Interesting. Not my experience with our pair - '15 TDI from Puebla and '16 R from Wolfsburg. Interior panels were identical in quality & fit/finish, indistinguishable from one car to the other. And I compared them side-by-side shortly after bringing the R home.

I almost wonder if all the parts come from teh same location but get shipped to different factories, i know that's what fca would do their cars that are built elsewhere. I also wondering if his thought of fit and finish looked better because it was a base model so it would be made differently/with different materials. Hell the biggest give away is the texture sot hat should mean the base model could be share the same mold but uses different materials

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There is some truth to standard of living contributing towards your workmanship. You're going to be more of a perfectionist if your name is Wolfgang, drive a new BMW/Audi car to work, live in decent accommodation. Fiercely proud that the manufacturer of the automobile you're signing off on, comes from your home nation.

You do know that most of the nationalities that make up the workforce in Wolfsburg aren't even German? Most are from Turkey and Hungary. I think the last demographic I saw was something around 10% are actually German decent.

As for the pride in one's job and proud of the vehicle you are manufacturing, I'm not sure what nationality has to do with that. I'm sure the workforce in the Pueblo plant are just as full off pride in their work as the Wolfsburg workers.

Wow the racism that goes on in this place is ridiculous. Just come out and say it. You don't want a Mexican making your car because some how you think they are substandard.

I work with a lot of Mexicans from around the Yucatan area and they are some of the most meticulous and steadfast workers in this place. They find things wrong that were missed by many many gringoes. I love working with them and they are great people too.

Get off the racism in the end it's just a car, and a glorified marginally fast economy car at that, being made in Germany doesn't make it any better for worth anymore.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!

As for California Cabs, ^^ Dr.Kenneth, you have to get in the $80++ Clos du Val (of French ownership) to approach the lowly vin de maison in many an auberge in the Garrone.

Now I've gotten myself in trouble!

Full disclosure, I'm no wine expert, so I can only speak to my clearly inferior palate. Cab may have been a bad example, but there are a lot of very good Californian wines, generally. I will definitely admit French wines of equal quality are much cheaper, even inside the US. I'm more of a Côtes du Rhône fan myself.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You do know that most of the nationalities that make up the workforce in Wolfsburg aren't even German? Most are from Turkey and Hungary. I think the last demographic I saw was something around 10% are actually German decent.

As for the pride in one's job and proud of the vehicle you are manufacturing, I'm not sure what nationality has to do with that. I'm sure the workforce in the Pueblo plant are just as full off pride in their work as the Wolfsburg workers.

Wow the racism that goes on in this place is ridiculous. Just come out and say it. You don't want a Mexican making your car because some how you think they are substandard.

I work with a lot of Mexicans from around the Yucatan area and they are some of the most meticulous and steadfast workers in this place. They find things wrong that were missed by many many gringoes. I love working with them and they are great people too.

Get off the racism in the end it's just a car, and a glorified marginally fast economy car at that, being made in Germany doesn't make it any better for worth anymore.

There is a part of me that can understand a person wanting (or wishing) that their German car is a product of Germany through and through.
In and of itself, that isn't a racist idea.
The same mentality could be applied to products coming from anywhere.
Italian products being handmade in Italy.
Authentic Japanese products, etc.
Gibson guitars built in the USA.
Where I cringe is when there is an the implication that workers from somewhere else can't assemble that product up to the standards of its home country.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Meh, I've had two Mexican built VWs, including my current 2017 GTI, and neither had problems that I would attribute to poor worksmanship.

VW has also produced many pieces of shit in Germany over the years.....

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
There is a part of me that can understand a person wanting (or wishing) that their German car is a product of Germany through and through.

Even if you got a Wolfsburg-assembled car, it's going to have parts coming from all over the EU, China and maybe even Mexico. There's no such thing as "German through and through". It's all about the percentage of parts distribution from those various factories that supply VW globally.

Our Puebla VWs still have German parts on them, just a low percentage. The German built ones will have a higher percentage. I think a car has to have 40% of its content by weight sourced from the same country to call the car "made" from that country. Our cars are "made" in Mexico because the majority of metal parts are stamped, or cast, there, from Mexican steel. I've counted about a dozen countries so far as the origins of parts on my Puebla Golf:

Mexico
Hungary
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
France
Slovenia
China
Ireland
Spain
Poland
Japan
Italy

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Even if you got a Wolfsburg-assembled car, it's going to have parts coming from all over the EU, China and maybe even Mexico. There's no such thing as "German through and through". It's all about the percentage of parts distribution from those various factories that supply VW globally.

Our Puebla VWs still have German parts on them, just a low percentage. The German built ones will have a higher percentage. I think a car has to have 40% of its content by weight sourced from the same country to call the car "made" from that country. Our cars are "made" in Mexico because the majority of metal parts are stamped, or cast, there, from Mexican steel. I've counted about a dozen countries so far as the origins of parts on my Puebla Golf:

Mexico
Hungary
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
France
Slovenia
China
Ireland
Spain
Poland
Japan
Italy

I fully understand that.
I didn't say it matters to me - not in a car anyway.
But I understand where people are coming from when they think this way, even though I find it meaningless - in a car.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
My erstwhile 2007 Rabbit had:

75% parts content specified as Germany

Mexican engine, Japanese transmission.

My 2015 GTi is better made than that car, IMO.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Ok but who sets up that system? Why are German companies setting up factories in South Africa and not vice versa?

Uh, they do?

SASOL has a huge plant in Hamburg I believe.

BMW's SA plant was its first outside Germany, built to supply the RHD African and Asian markets.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Ya theoretically but there has to be a reason, even if cultural, that Germany produced Audi, VW, Porsche Mercedes, BMW....not to mention many scientific and technological innovations and other areas have produced basically none of that.

Working in both a lab and as a home DIYer, I can attest that German lab equipment (Eppendorf, one of the brands) is the crème de la crème, and their power tools (Fein, Festool) are also top of the top.

And as a home consumer, their appliances are also usually excellent. Aside from Bosch, which can be downright crappy, Meile make what I consider the best dishwashers and vacuums in the world.