GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW shifting the Golf production to Germany.

Scala

Ready to race!
VW shifting the Golf production to Germany, really?

The 2020 models will be built in Germany and hit the US in mid-year.

["The issue goes beyond union demands. The publication explains Golf sales have dropped significantly in recent months due to quality issues tied to the Puebla factory. Officials hope moving production to Germany will fix some of those problems."]

https://www.leftlanenews.com/volksw...-golf-production-from-mexico-to-europe-98375/

Should I cancel an order that I have placed for a Puebla 2019 and wait for the German 2020 ???

Last edited:

Dhecker99

Passed Driver's Ed
The 2020 models will be built in Germany and hit the US in mid-year.

["The issue goes beyond union demands. The publication explains Golf sales have dropped significantly in recent months due to quality issues tied to the Puebla factory. Officials hope moving production to Germany will fix some of those problems."]

https://www.leftlanenews.com/volksw...-golf-production-from-mexico-to-europe-98375/

Should I cancel an order that I have placed for a Puebla 2019 and wait for the German 2020 ???
I haven't had any quality issues with my mk7 from Mexico but I guess its preferrible to have your car built in Germany.

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
This is an article from 2017, is there anything more recent anyone has found to confirm?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
It appears that the MK7 is the most reliable and best built generation yet, sans the sunroof issue. But that's more of a design issue than poor assembly.

I'd love to see some hard numbers if anyone has any links?

I think blaming issues on the Mexican plant is a cop-out/scape goat move. Previous gens built in Germany still had plenty of quality control issues and the labor is whole lot more expensive in Europe.

Expect the cost of cars made in Germany to increase.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I love news articles that have a question mark at the end of the title. :rolleyes:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
It appears that the MK7 is the most reliable and best built generation yet, sans the sunroof issue. But that's more of a design issue than poor assembly.

I think a lot of people are going to be plagued by water pump/flange issues causing leaks on the MK7 platform. We're starting to see it more and more now. Both of my MK7's have leaks, My wife's early build 2015 (built early Summer 2014), and my 2017 Sport is at the dealer getting fixed right now. I would add this to a list of reliability issues because it's not a cheap/easy repair and is apparently a 4-6 hour job from what I read.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think a lot of people are going to be plagued by water pump/flange issues causing leaks on the MK7 platform. We're starting to see it more and more now. Both of my MK7's have leaks, My wife's early build 2015 (built early Summer 2014), and my 2017 Sport is at the dealer getting fixed right now. I would add this to a list of reliability issues because it's not a cheap/easy repair and is apparently a 4-6 hour job from what I read.

Also an early build 2015 here. I really need to learn how to watch for the signs of failure of this haha.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Which modern car does not have water pump issues ?

They are all cheaply made with plastic impellers and/or plastic housings.

Stainless impeller and aluminum housing where are the good old parts back in the days ?? :(

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Last I heard, it was a demand from the IG Metall workers union that demanded the high-volume Golf be built in Wolfsburg again.

Country of assembly has zero impact on quality control.

BMW's South Africa plant has a better track record that Lexus's plant in Ontario.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yes I heard that too.

Volkswagen wanted to get the complete Golf Production back to Wolfsburg which is there “traditional plant”.