GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE (leather) - chemical smell won't go away

baygti

I posted on this before 3 months ago (about a new car smell that wouldn't go away), but it's been 3.5 months that I've owned the car and there's still a persistent, disturbing chemical smell (not really 'new car smell' that you smell in most new cars) that I think is coming from the leather seats and is not going away. It doesn't seem related to the engine as the smell is there when the car is off. I've tried turning up the heat and "baking it" for 45 min and then wiping the seats; putting bowls of charcoal biscuits and baking powder throughout the car; taking back to dealer to inspect (they couldn't notice it, even though every friend who comes in the car remarks on how strong it is -- like 7 different people). I asked if I can swap out leather for cloth and the dealer says impossible. I've tried pursuing a buyback with corporate but they don't pick up the phone to move forward with the regional manager inspection process and the dealer doesn't seem to care about this either. I've called a lemon lawyer and they say an environmental inspection would be needed, etc., which seems expensive. But I'm still stuck with this car for the next 5+ years and the smell is awful. Has anyone else experienced this and did it ever go away?

Does anyone want to trade mine for a 2018 GTI SE with cloth seats (4K miles, Bay Area)? If so please PM me, thanks.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
It will go away to an extent, some people enjoy the smell, but leather will usually always retain some kind of odor years down the road. Hope things work out for you

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
3.5 months is nothing for a car that is still technically off gassing. First thing first if drive with windows down if you and and then when parked and you know it wont be raining or anything crack the windows, get airflow through the car to help remove the smell. Also ozone generator might be a good way to try and get the smell out of the areas you can't clean

stan23

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you smell the same smells as all other new GTIs? My 1 month old SE with leather has no real smells at all. I definitely don't smell anything from the seats.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
two thoughts:

a bit of work but if you remove seats and leave it for wknd it may let you know if you are on the right track.

I wonder if a leather conditioner would help hide the smell?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mine went away after about a year. Chemical guys leather cleaner smells like real leather and covers the smell nicely. I really like that product

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Do you smell the same smells as all other new GTIs? My 1 month old SE with leather has no real smells at all. I definitely don't smell anything from the seats.

i've owned 2 new mk7 gti's in leather, and actually my car is completely scentless.. Even the missus agreed. Her leather 2018 Tiguan does however have a bit of a chemical smell to it. Can't even say its a smell of leather. New car and some smell to it, i guess you could call it.

Difference is it doesn't bother either of us, and i think that's probably the key here for you OP. Let something like that bother you, and its x10 worse.

ogrisker

Ready to race!
I posted on this before 3 months ago (about a new car smell that wouldn't go away), but it's been 3.5 months that I've owned the car and there's still a persistent, disturbing chemical smell (not really 'new car smell' that you smell in most new cars) that I think is coming from the leather seats and is not going away. It doesn't seem related to the engine as the smell is there when the car is off. I've tried turning up the heat and "baking it" for 45 min and then wiping the seats; putting bowls of charcoal biscuits and baking powder throughout the car; taking back to dealer to inspect (they couldn't notice it, even though every friend who comes in the car remarks on how strong it is -- like 7 different people). I asked if I can swap out leather for cloth and the dealer says impossible. I've tried pursuing a buyback with corporate but they don't pick up the phone to move forward with the regional manager inspection process and the dealer doesn't seem to care about this either. I've called a lemon lawyer and they say an environmental inspection would be needed, etc., which seems expensive. But I'm still stuck with this car for the next 5+ years and the smell is awful. Has anyone else experienced this and did it ever go away?

Does anyone want to trade mine for a 2018 GTI SE with cloth seats (4K miles, Bay Area)? If so please PM me, thanks.

Condition it with a good leather conditioner/cleaner a few times. one that has a scent you find pleasant. Rub it into the leather with clean hands (massage it) should work.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Hit it with a bunch of this stuff. It will smell like strippers (trust me, it's authentic as hell) and you won't even notice the chemical smell any more.

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
My car still has that "new car" smell. I got it in August and no leather. I like it though. Reminds me everytime that no one else has owned it before me.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Never noticed anything in my new one when I got it... I wonder if there is a difference as to how long since it actually came off the line, vs one that has been sitting on a lot/shipping yard for a few months? Mine was built probably 4 - 5 months probably prior to buying it new.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Could be something to look into. Mercedes had a run of GL/GLE models that customers were bringing in for a "chemical" odor. One I was directly involved in they said it smelled like "poison" We treated the a/c system a few times in an attempt to mitigate this odor. They returned and eventually MB came out with a solution. Basically the sealer or rust preventative that was in the rocker panels was gassing out and coming into the interior. The solution was to remove some trim panels, a pillar, dash end covers, kick panels etc and apply some pre cut stickers(similar to duct tape) over certain openings in the body. I thought this lady was cray but we never saw her again.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
I noticed a "new car smell" or leather for almost a year. Even now it still tends to smell and look kinda new even though I've had many other scents in there. I personally like it I don't think its overpowering anymore. I've cleaned and conditioned which seemed to help reduce it a little. It doesn't feel too chemically it just smells like leather.