GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Letting the car warm up

Gunter

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone else let their car warm up on cold mornings before they go. I was told it doesn’t need it but at the same time I feel better about letting Günter warm up.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Its not necessary. Optimal method is to just start driving and then not get on it hard until oil temp passes 180 degrees F.. i find that latter part the toughest especially when i need to get up to speed quickly on a highway merge.. it sucks being in Golf mode when that happens :(

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
No i drive immediately, however i keep it below 2k rpm until it registers a temp. Then under 3k until 160. 4k until 180, then once temps finally hit 200, then give it some.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I'm in FL, so my definition of cold is vastly different lol. But on first start of the day, I at least wait for the cold start idle to drop to normal after 30 seconds or so. Then drive away and keep things gentle until oil is at 170 or 180.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Its not necessary. Optimal method is to just start driving and then not get on it hard until oil temp passes 180 degrees F.. i find that latter part the toughest especially when i need to get up to speed quickly on a highway merge.. it sucks being in Golf mode when that happens :(
^^this...unless it's low teens then wait 20-30 seconds.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Oh no please not this thread again.... Search next time, this has been covered numerous times and almost always ends in an argument

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Does anyone else let their car warm up on cold mornings before they go. I was told it doesn’t need it but at the same time I feel better about letting Günter warm up.

It's not a '67 Bug. Drive it straight away, just don't stand on it before the oil is up to temp.

Wait, you're in San Diego? C'mon man!

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
As long as you're not beating on it as soon as you start it, you should be fine. Letting the car sit there and idle for 10-15 minutes isn't going to do much for it anyway.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
In the cold I start mine and wait until it comes out of hi idle then drive off. Then I baby it until the oil temperature reaches about 180F. Golf mode is a good way to describe it :D