GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lol I wore out the front A/S tires to 1/32nd in the first 6 months of having the car. I live near a fun canyon (*De Luz Rd*) which the GTI feels like it was made for.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Good thread that I've managed to miss until now. My complete list of mods is in my sig. I consider it more or less the logical stopping point for a "GTI+" experience. But, I do like buying farkles and faffing around with tools so it does take willpower to not waste money. This list helps reinforce what I mostly already knew. The only one I'd been on the fence about is a TIP.

I'm also holding up on downpipe because that's going to lead to full blown stage2itis (and beyond) pretty quick.

I'm also not especially interested in cosmetic or sound mods. So... Yea...

I have a dictionary perfect example of a first world problem; I've run out of reasonable ways to use disposable income.

you said farkles! thou shant farkle in the 4 wheel world. we mod.

i miss farkles!

beers

Swoope

Ready to race!
I don’t think you’d notice or benefit without sticky tires, a drop, and sway bars

yep skip the stiffeners! i will try to get some video up of my gti, on track with the inside rear wheel in the air with just a rear sway and sticky (200tw) tires. the chassis is plenty stiff.

beers

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
yep skip the stiffeners! i will try to get some video up of my gti, on track with the inside rear wheel in the air with just a rear sway and sticky (200tw) tires. the chassis is plenty stiff.

beers
Nice... Appreciate your and Jake's input... Saved me 500

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
you said farkles! thou shant farkle in the 4 wheel world. we mod.

i miss farkles!

beers

Yea, sorry. I've got a bmw bike that was my last project a year ago. After an exhaust and upgraded shocks, ran out of things to do pretty quick.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
stainless steel braided brake lines

Still a waste of money if you got them for free, plus free install? :D

seriously though, yeah I didn't notice a difference at all after they were installed. Only difference was my brakes made a kinda strange sound for a while. Only sound I've ever been able to compare it to is the sound a silverfish from minecraft makes.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Haven't gone for any of the 7 on JakeGTi's list, though i did plenty of them on my mk6. Really leaning towards an intake tho, not for performance but for sound. Miss that sound.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just wasted $300 on the Integrated Engineering open intake. I'm a sucker for induction noises so I'm surprised I managed to get a lot of useful mods done first before this :D

Haven't gone for any of the 7 on JakeGTi's list, though i did plenty of them on my mk6. Really leaning towards an intake tho, not for performance but for sound. Miss that sound.

I have an open intake and grille scoop on mine too lol. Gains, nah, but sweet turbski sounds absolutely

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Still a waste of money if you got them for free, plus free install? :D

seriously though, yeah I didn't notice a difference at all after they were installed. Only difference was my brakes made a kinda strange sound for a while. Only sound I've ever been able to compare it to is the sound a silverfish from minecraft makes.

yup, i would never use them. They are dangerous and lack the reliability of oem rubber lines. There is a reason why 99% car manufacturers do not use them.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
how are SS lines dangerous/un-reliable?

cheap-ass poor quality ones excluded

Edit: ^^ still wondering but also would like to see the person that can tell a difference in blind testing.

Last edited:

emanon

Ready to race!
yup, i would never use them. They are dangerous and lack the reliability of oem rubber lines. There is a reason why 99% car manufacturers do not use them.
That's patently false. They are superior in every way, just a ton of $$$ at the OE level and dont offer any distinct advantage to most people.