GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new toy

scott59

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI S 6MT
macsmith777,
What Mini do you have? I've been thinking Mini or GTI for my next car (leaning a lot towards GTI, drive an MX-5 right now). How do you think it compares to your Mini. BTW I'm an old fart too.
Thanks

macsmith777

So, to all of you knowledgeable people, would little things like a short shift kit, or mildly lowered with springs affect any warranty stuff? I am really only looking to do a few things like that, and maybe jb1 (4?) for some extra oomph. What are your thoughts?

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
macsmith777,
What Mini do you have? I've been thinking Mini or GTI for my next car (leaning a lot towards GTI, drive an MX-5 right now). How do you think it compares to your Mini. BTW I'm an old fart too.
Thanks
Coming from the Mini world prior to my GTI, I would say that it is all about what you want out of the car. I owned both a R50 first gen Mini and a R56 mini. Both cars were a blast in the corners and were quick, but not what I would say "fast". My MK7 GTI handles well, but not the same. But, it is much faster and really rewards good driving technique. GTI is a great GT style hatch with a high ceiling. The Mini is a fast handling hot hatch with many maintenance issues, depending on generation and model.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
First mod, 034 rear sway, super pro links. You’re welcome.

macsmith777

Coming from the Mini world prior to my GTI, I would say that it is all about what you want out of the car. I owned both a R50 first gen Mini and a R56 mini. Both cars were a blast in the corners and were quick, but not what I would say "fast". My MK7 GTI handles well, but not the same. But, it is much faster and really rewards good driving technique. GTI is a great GT style hatch with a high ceiling. The Mini is a fast handling hot hatch with many maintenance issues, depending on generation and model.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I would second this..

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats on the purchase. I'm a middle aged dog here and loving my new Gti autobahn. Pondering JB4 vs APR myself for a little extra juice. Everything else is pretty darned fine for the price point.

TigerWoods

So, to all of you knowledgeable people, would little things like a short shift kit, or mildly lowered with springs affect any warranty stuff? I am really only looking to do a few things like that, and maybe jb1 (4?) for some extra oomph. What are your thoughts?

Warranty stuff is all dependent upon the person servicing the car. At my local VW, there are people to go to and there are also people to avoid when it comes to servicing with warranty. Your best bet is to make friends with some people at your local VW and start asking the questions form there

I’ve heard the boots are prone to rip once lowering these cars, but that’s pure speculation with no specific suspension specs

macsmith777

Warranty stuff is all dependent upon the person servicing the car. At my local VW, there are people to go to and there are also people to avoid when it comes to servicing with warranty. Your best bet is to make friends with some people at your local VW and start asking the questions form there

I’ve heard the boots are prone to rip once lowering these cars, but that’s pure speculation with no specific suspension specs

Sounds reasonable to me. I was thinking a mild drop of an inch or so. On top of being the aforementioned old fart, I will be in snow country, and not interested in lowering it much. I here VWR springs are a nice happy medium. I like the suggestion earlier for 034 sway bar and end links too. For now, I am going to leave things alone and just enjoy it stock and really get to know her.

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed

Dealerships do not approve warranty claims. They all go to the manufacturer for approval. Some at the dealership level will tell you right away it won't be approved, while others may go ahead and submit it. If it's a small claim, that can make a difference. It doesn't matter much who you go to if you come in with a big ticket warranty claim, though, as VW won't approve the big payment until they've looked into it enough to be sure the issue can't be blamed on the owner.