GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

Elwood

3-7-77
Has anyone put together a chart with spring rates on it? I know that data can be real hard to come by. I picked VWR springs because they offered the least drop, but I'm finding that they are too soft. Who sells the H&R OE springs? Are they listed with a different name?

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I know Tirerack has H&R OE Sport, $210.

A DSG car would probably sit a touch lower in front because of the weight compared to a MT, correct?

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone put together a chart with spring rates on it? I know that data can be real hard to come by. I picked VWR springs because they offered the least drop, but I'm finding that they are too soft. Who sells the H&R OE springs? Are they listed with a different name?

I have seen them on ECS Tuning's website and Tire Rack but I'm sure a quick Google will give you more options...

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
If people PM me with their actual drop measurements (center hub to fender) I can put a chart together.

Thinking:

Spring name / mfr
Spring rate (if available...some mfrs like H&R don’t publish)
Advertised drop
GTI actual drop front and rear DSG / Manual
R actual drop front and rear DSG / Manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Great Post!
Based on Hammersticks advise: "Neuspeed Sports work really well with B8’s". Unfortunately I placed my order for the B8's in March and have been waiting patiently ever since. :mad: At this point it will be Spring before I can install and evaluate this setup. I will definitely take measurements before and after so I can add to the database.
Andreas

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
Great write-up! Thanks for the info! Looking into B8 + HR OE Sports too... and since i probably won't do this till the spring waiting on B8s is ok with me.

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If people PM me with their actual drop measurements (center hub to fender) I can put a chart together.

Subscribe.

I went stage 2 an hour ago so of course I started suspension research as soon as I got to the office, lol. Lmk if I can help at all with data gathering, I'll be doing it on my own anyway (until your chart is finished).

FWIW I'm in a 6 Speed daily driver. Looking for ~1" drop, comfortable ride, but can be tracked once or twice.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
(Im)patiently waiting for that chart, Hammersticks..

After spending many hours reading posts on springs I still don't know what I should get. Your lowering chart would be great since I want the least amount of drop (I couldn't care less about 'the look', really), but I DO want some stiffness (I know it's quite the conflict :) and will rule out DG springs for being too soft). As for dampers, it seems Koni Yellows will be my choice, as soon as I figure out the springs dilemma.

If anyone could get some spring rates chart, that would be awesome, but unlikely since most manufacturers don't publish them.. :confused:

Maybe I should just say 'F*ck it!' and get coilovers, although I'd have to factor in the monthly chiropractor bill that comes with driving on our daily bombed 'roads'

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Okay, looks like folks are eager for this. I went digging through and documented what I could. It's all in xls so I need to somehow translate it here. As noted, some mfr's don't post spring rates (see http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/spring-rate-101), but I pulled together the following data points where I could:
Name, P/N, type, advertised drop, front spring rate, rear spring rate, notes, URL. Also pulled together info for the most common dampers.

For reference, here are the springs I researched:
Stock MK7 Golf 1.8T
Stock MK7 GTI
Stock MK7 Golf R
VW OE Driver Gear "DG" Springs
APR Roll-Control
Neuspeed Sport
Neuspeed Race
Racingline (aka VWR)
Eibach Pro Kit (US)
Eibach Pro Kit (Euro)
Eibach Sportline
H&R OE Sport
H&R Sport
EMD (aka ED, Emmanuele Designs)
O34 Motorsport - Golf/GTI
Vogtland Sport Springs
Revo

If anyone can help me add an inline table here please pm me. If I don't hear from anyone I'll add in bullet point format...but I think a table would be best.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Okay, looks like folks are eager for this. I went digging through and documented what I could. It's all in xls so I need to somehow translate it here. As noted, some mfr's don't post spring rates (see http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/spring-rate-101), but I pulled together the following data points where I could:
Name, P/N, type, advertised drop, front spring rate, rear spring rate, notes, URL. Also pulled together info for the most common dampers.

For reference, here are the springs I researched:
Stock MK7 Golf 1.8T
Stock MK7 GTI
Stock MK7 Golf R
VW OE Driver Gear "DG" Springs
APR Roll-Control
Neuspeed Sport
Neuspeed Race
Racingline (aka VWR)
Eibach Pro Kit (US)
Eibach Pro Kit (Euro)
Eibach Sportline
H&R OE Sport
H&R Sport
EMD (aka ED, Emmanuele Designs)
O34 Motorsport - Golf/GTI
Vogtland Sport Springs
Revo

If anyone can help me add an inline table here please pm me. If I don't hear from anyone I'll add in bullet point format...but I think a table would be best.

Not sure how to add a table directly on the forum but you could make a google spreadsheet and share it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Updated post #1 with URLs and tables.

Thank you Hammersticks for doing the legwork to put together that chart.

Going over it though it just makes me sad, as there doesn't seem to be any spring with less than 1" real-world drop, except for DG, which are likely as soft or softer than stock.

At this point I'm thinking I should just get a set of stock R springs, since they are slightly firmer than my GTI OEMs, and pair then with some Konis.. :(

Seems crazy out of all the aftermarket options to not be able to find a stiffer spring upgrade without much drop.

Last edited: