GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'18 SE Body roll

rich_in_cincy

Guys,

Is there anything I can do to reduce the body roll without effecting the over all ride of the car? I don't want to make it harsh or uncomfortable, just looking to reduce body roll a bit.

TIA

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Guys,

Is there anything I can do to reduce the body roll without effecting the over all ride of the car? I don't want to make it harsh or uncomfortable, just looking to reduce body roll a bit.

TIA

DCC is what you’re looking for.

Outside of DCC (since you already have the car) you might want to look for a set of thicker sway bars.

You could also do a moderate drop with MSS Kits and upsize your tires to give more sidewall.

rich_in_cincy

Can I start with a rear sway bar, or do I need to upgrade both at the same time? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I've never done any suspension mods before.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Can I start with a rear sway bar, or do I need to upgrade both at the same time? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I've never done any suspension mods before.

Yes, just go with a rear bar.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Cool, thanks!

That's how I started out. Even with the stock endlinks, the ST rear bar (or any of them) made a big difference in cornering roll and confidence.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Front sway bar would probably have a larger impact on reducing body roll, but it's also 10x harder to change out.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Front sway bar would probably have a larger impact on reducing body roll, but it's also 10x harder to change out.

It will also increase understeer, unless the rear is also upgraded to a stiffer bar.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Guys,

TIA

I can give you a ride in my ‘17 SE with Bilstein B16. Guess your name represents the city we live in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avs

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m not a big fan of messing around with oem suspension setup. IMO gti stock suspension is pretty decent to start out with. The first thing I would do when I want to tweak the handling of the car is to get a nice set of tires such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. It will make a night/day difference in your car’s handling. Second, you can tweak with the tire pressures. Remember, your 4 tires are the only things that’s in contact between your car and the road!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
DCC is what you’re looking for.

Outside of DCC (since you already have the car) you might want to look for a set of thicker sway bars.

You could also do a moderate drop with MSS Kits and upsize your tires to give more sidewall.

Many comment that DCC is not worth the price, but as you stated it does an impressive job handling body roll and when not needed you can switch to comfort.

DAS_STIG

Banned
It will also increase understeer, unless the rear is also upgraded to a stiffer bar.

Can improper suspension setup result in understeer? Yes.

That's a very large generalization, though. A lot more goes into under/oversteer than simply increasing the size of the front bar. Increasing front bar size may lead to less body roll, which results in better weight distribution between the two front tires, resulting in better turn-in and follow through the corner.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
OP don't be bothered by the naysayers, stock suspension with a stiffer RSB is loads better than stock in hard corners.