GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FS: Custom OBDeleven holder insert for glovebox

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Nice piece for sure man. Fits in there solid, I couldn't get it to jiggle or rattle at all. Connection to obd2 is nice too, also feels good. Knocked on it at the end and heard no rattles. We'll see tomorrow but I have tesa tape just in case :).

https://youtu.be/-j2F4LBlEgk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Nice piece for sure man. Fits in there solid, I couldn't get it to jiggle or rattle at all. Connection to obd2 is nice too, also feels good. Knocked on it at the end and heard no rattles. We'll see tomorrow but I have tesa tape just in case :).

Haha, great video, thanks for posting!

pSyCO_007

Ready to race!

Looks really solid.. good stuff
Can’t wait to get mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Message sent

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Still no takers on my request to borrow a Ross-Tech Hex-Net or Hex-V2 to create a prototype holder? You'll get a free holder out of it, if it pans out.

Your best bet is to buy the cheap ebay cable for like 5 bucks, for testing purposes. type Can bus on ebay.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Your best bet is to buy the cheap ebay cable for like 5 bucks, for testing purposes. type Can bus on ebay.

Not a bad idea, but a couple things-- first, I don't want to support IP infringement, and second, unless the casting for the shell is identical to Ross-Tech's, things could go horribly wrong. Even the "Ross-Tech" embossing on the casting could change the dimensions enough to no longer fit.

I wonder if Ross-Tech would be willing to sell me just the empty casing and plug from their spare parts bin, no electronics inside. I'd gladly spend $20 for test fitting purposes.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I’d send you mine but shipping to / from Vancouver wouldn’t be quick / cost effective.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Not a bad idea, but a couple things-- first, I don't want to support IP infringement, and second, unless the casting for the shell is identical to Ross-Tech's, things could go horribly wrong. Even the "Ross-Tech" embossing on the casting could change the dimensions enough to no longer fit.

I wonder if Ross-Tech would be willing to sell me just the empty casing and plug from their spare parts bin, no electronics inside. I'd gladly spend $20 for test fitting purposes.

My guess is that Uwe would never go for that.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
My guess is that Uwe would never go for that.

Why wouldn't a business owner want to get free publicity for his product? Out of paranoia that I'd want these parts for nefarious purposes? What would stop me from buying one just to get at those parts? If I had nefarious intent, certainly a few hundred bucks wouldn't stand in my way from pursuing it.

His loss, then. Sure, most of his customers are service techs and are using his device in a professional capacity and could care less about a little custom widget, but he is most likely losing enthusiast business to OBDeleven, and people seeing this thread who are on the fence between buying an OBDeleven or a Ross-Tech VCDS may be swayed towards OBDeleven.

Last edited:

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Why wouldn't a business owner want to get free publicity for his product? Out of paranoia that I'd want these parts for nefarious purposes? What would stop me from buying one just to get at those parts? If I had nefarious intent, certainly a few hundred bucks wouldn't stand in my way from pursuing it.

His loss, then. Sure, most of his customers are service techs and are using his device in a professional capacity and could care less about a little custom widget, but he is most likely losing enthusiast business to OBDeleven, and people seeing this thread who are on the fence between buying an OBDeleven or a Ross-Tech VCDS may be swayed towards OBDeleven.

Yup, don't disagree with you at all, just a guess on my part. I'd say its still worth it to contact him and see what he says.

I would send you mine however its a micro-can which most people don't use anymore (but still works perfectly fine).

veedubtuner

Car(s)
2016 2DR GTI S OEM+
Got mine, love it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Package came in a day earlier than USPS initially thought it would.

Install is definitely easy. Luckily, I have a plastic trim removal set from Amazon b/c I first tried to use a thin plastic trim tool that came with my dashcam. For some reason that didn't do anything, but a slightly thicker one from the Amazon set did the trick to pop out the card slot thing.

I'm happy with it. Thanks, southpaw! 20180516_183844.jpeg20180516_185557.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk