GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Making progress! Anyone have a VAS 5054A cable they'd be willing to lend/sell me? :D
I was talking to Don at Technical Retrofit. He mentioned I need the ODIS cable and then he can remote in and do his thing.

Is that cable the same one you're looking for? If so, where do we obtain it?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
I was talking to Don at Technical Retrofit. He mentioned I need the ODIS cable and then he can remote in and do his thing.

Yep, sounds like the same thing. OP mentions it as well. The whole kit is around $70, but there are so many (eBay, NewEgg, AliExpress, etc.) that I can't figure out which one I should get. :confused:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

How does one contact Don at TR? Had not heard of him yet.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Quick update on my progress.

I picked up a MIB2 infotainment for $30 on eBay. I plugged it into my car tonight and I had audio on all 4 speakers and my Helix sub worked without an issue. Obviously, the screen is all messed up due to the resolution mismatch, but everything seems to work just fine.

Now my question is what is the component protection tied to? Is it the display or the infotainment in the glove box. If it's in the glove box, why would I be getting audio on all speakers?

My display is being delivered Monday so I'll install that on Monday and test again. I'm still waiting on the USB piece so hopefully I get that from China within the next week.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Quick update on my progress.

I picked up a MIB2 infotainment for $30 on eBay. I plugged it into my car tonight and I had audio on all 4 speakers and my Helix sub worked without an issue. Obviously, the screen is all messed up due to the resolution mismatch, but everything seems to work just fine.

Now my question is what is the component protection tied to? Is it the display or the infotainment in the glove box. If it's in the glove box, why would I be getting audio on all speakers?

My display is being delivered Monday so I'll install that on Monday and test again. I'm still waiting on the USB piece so hopefully I get that from China within the next week.

CP is tied to headunit in glovebox not the display. I do not understand why you are getting what you are getting. You may be fortunate in having an issue with CP (a good thing in this case). Normally, you would get no sound, but everything that has FeC associated with such as Carplay, etc. would work. When CP is removed, you then get sound but nothing else works until FeC's are re-installed.

zvonexp

Passed Driver's Ed
is it possible to bypass swaps codes or something ?

i have mk7 with retrofitted discovery pro mib 2 and everything was perfect untill car had service at vw dealer and they fucked up whole unit, voice doesnt work, mirror link doesnt work, usb, aux etc.. when i went to check swap codes i see that they re rejected

maybe some fix for this ?

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Ended up getting the CP error after all. An interesting find is my NAR headunit had the ROW connector.
CP is tied to headunit in glovebox not the display. I do not understand why you are getting what you are getting. You may be fortunate in having an issue with CP (a good thing in this case). Normally, you would get no sound, but everything that has FeC associated with such as Carplay, etc. would work. When CP is removed, you then get sound but nothing else works until FeC's are re-installed.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Jack to the rescue. We finished the remote session today. Now have AppConnect and Voice Operation activated and working.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Awesome. We tried this morning, but my wifi connection was too poor and I ran out of time before work. Going to try again soon once I can get a wired connection to the car.
Update: Jack to the rescue. We finished the remote session today. Now have AppConnect and Voice Operation activated and working.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome. We tried this morning, but my wifi connection was too poor and I ran out of time before work. Going to try again soon once I can get a wired connection to the car.

Yeah I was worried about the same thing, so I opted to pay for a month of mobile hot spot service for my phone.

Rcalka79

So....I’ve been trying to get my 2015 sport wagon radio swap finished for a few weeks now. I am a vw tech so I have no problems getting component protection turned off. I have a new amp, wiring for the usb, the usb hub, infotainment unit, and display. I can’t seem to get sound out of the amp. I think I’m coding the infotainment unit wrong but I’m not sure. I looked in the previous replies and didn’t see anything....but how can I get jacks contact info. I talked to Alex at vw retrofit and he said adding CarPlay wasn’t possible but it seems like some of you have already got it working.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
So....I’ve been trying to get my 2015 sport wagon radio swap finished for a few weeks now. I am a vw tech so I have no problems getting component protection turned off. I have a new amp, wiring for the usb, the usb hub, infotainment unit, and display. I can’t seem to get sound out of the amp. I think I’m coding the infotainment unit wrong but I’m not sure. I looked in the previous replies and didn’t see anything....but how can I get jacks contact info. I talked to Alex at vw retrofit and he said adding CarPlay wasn’t possible but it seems like some of you have already got it working.

Can you share your part numbers and long codings for the headunit and amp?

You can find Jack on Skype, which is how he prefers to be contacted. Username: jacekk993
He's in Poland (6 hours ahead of you), so try to time your IM's appropriately for a better chance of response. I can usually catch him around 5-6pm Poland time.

Rcalka79

Can you share your part numbers and long codings for the headunit and amp?

You can find Jack on Skype, which is how he prefers to be contacted. Username: jacekk993
He's in Poland (6 hours ahead of you), so try to time your IM's appropriately for a better chance of response. I can usually catch him around 5-6pm Poland time.
Very lucky today I had a wagon come in and he had already done the swap and had it all working. I copied all the coding off of his car but I left it at work. Tomorrow I’ll get all the part numbers and codes and post them. I bought all the part numbers listed in the first post. I’m theory it should work...that’s why I thing my coding is off. I still think I’m going to need jack to get CarPlay working.