GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walked out on dealer - did not purchase the R :-(

only1harry

Ready to race!
I am so pissed. Drove 40min. to buy the car only to sit in it and find out it had 37 miles on the odo, when the sales rep told me it had 5!! I was so PO'd I didn't even drive the car, or think about driving it while I was there, just to see what it's like. I just wanted to punch the sales d*ck in the face.

That's a demo car to me, not a new car. I want to break in the engine myself and make sure the rings are sealed properly.
Unfortunately most of the sales staff drive these type of cars and take joy rides in them because they are fast. A good GM would not allow that. Then he lied to me saying "the techs have been driving it"(!) and "it's normal for a new car to have that many miles" which is a line I hate. Yeah like I was born yesterday. My brother in law was a car salesman for 20 years and one of my best friends is a GM for a Ford dealership so I know a little about how a dealership operates. Techs are NOT allowed to drive any new cars unless there is a sales order and they have been assigned to inspect it before delivery. New cars belong to the sales dept. before they are sold, not the techs. I can't stand fricking liars.

Oh well, the search continues. And that was a decent deal for $41K on an DSG/auto. It will be probably be hard to get that price again. If I can't find an R in a week with around 10 miles, I 'll break down and get a CTR. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Most dealers around here do not allow their sales people or anyone to drive the CTR's unless they have a deposit on it, and they are usually in the showroom until they are sold.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
You are frustrated because the sales guy lied to you. But I wouldnt buy a CTR just because the R had additional 32 miles on it. The person who test drove it might have been a potential buyer like you.

Just give it a day and if you are still firm on your decision, let go this R. If i was in your situation, i would talk to the manager and express the disappointment but would still take it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
In one thread we've got people complaining that dealers won't let them test drive an R, here a sale is lost because one was test driven. Can't make everyone happy.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Mine had 29 miles on it before I test drove it. I went to 5 different dealers and all were within 15-30 miles. It’s the norm from the factory for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only1harry

Ready to race!
I am going to send an email to the owner, but I will never buy that car. The most miles a new car had that I bought was 8 at pre-delivery. All my new cars were purchased with 2.5 to 7 miles on the odo pre-delivery. And 8 to 12 at delivery.

That car will have 45 miles at delivery after 1 or 2 techs beat on it. Those 37 miles it has now are mostly salesmen taking turns with their joy ride. He said "the techs have been driving it" which I know is a lie, not that customers have been test driving it. Not the car for me. And the guy was a total douche-bag saying "I just saw the car for the first time - I don't know anything about this car". Then a few seconds later he said the car had been there for 2 weeks and techs have been driving. Now he knows the car and who 's been driving it? I don't do well with pathological liars.

Oh and I forgot to mention that this dealer totalled my 2015 Mazda 3 Sport GT with 10k mi. on it while they had it for warranty repairs. They said they drove it over a 5 foot retaining wall. Thank god it was totaled. I didn't want that car after all that damage. I knew I should have never gone back.
They are a Mazda/VW dealer called Compass Motors in Middletown NY and I would advise everyone in NY to stay away from them. I wasn't happy with the then, and I wouldn't be happy with them now. They just proved they are sh**y dealership again.

Harry

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
I am so pissed. Drove 40min. to buy the car only to sit in it and find out it had 37 miles on the odo, when the sales rep told me it had 5!! I was so PO'd I didn't even drive the car, or think about driving it while I was there, just to see what it's like. I just wanted to punch the sales d*ck in the face.

That's a demo car to me, not a new car. I want to break in the engine myself and make sure the rings are sealed properly.
Unfortunately most of the sales staff drive these type of cars and take joy rides in them because they are fast. A good GM would not allow that. Then he lied to me saying "the techs have been driving it"(!) and "it's normal for a new car to have that many miles" which is a line I hate. Yeah like I was born yesterday. My brother in law was a car salesman for 20 years and one of my best friends is a GM for a Ford dealership so I know a little about how a dealership operates. Techs are NOT allowed to drive any new cars unless there is a sales order and they have been assigned to inspect it before delivery. New cars belong to the sales dept. before they are sold, not the techs. I can't stand fricking liars.

Oh well, the search continues. And that was a decent deal for $41K on an DSG/auto. It will be probably be hard to get that price again. If I can't find an R in a week with around 10 miles, I 'll break down and get a CTR. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Most dealers around here do not allow their sales people or anyone to drive the CTR's unless they have a deposit on it, and they are usually in the showroom until they are sold.
Id be pissed too because I was lied to. But the only way you’ll get a car with 5 miles on it is you ordered it or you caught it before it got off the truck.
I have bought two cars with that few miles on it. One was a custom order and the other was reserved for me before it got off the delivery truck. We just bought our Golf and it had 24 miles on it.

only1harry

Ready to race!
Mine had 29 miles on it before I test drove it. I went to 5 different dealers and all were within 15-30 miles. It’s the norm from the factory for the most part.

15-30 miles from the factory? Really? How did you get this information?

Would you be shocked if I told you that all new cars come with 1.5 to 2.5 miles from the factory?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Bought mine with 30 miles on it. Big whoop.

Now, if I'm in your shoes and the sales drone lied to me, that's a different story, and I'd be pissed too - about that. The mileage itself? Couldn't care less - almost certainly there's nothing that occurred during those miles that will negatively impact the life of the motor.

You'll probably get a phone call in the next day or so. Vent about the sales liar, then buy the car.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Techs are supposed to drive the car, it’s part of the pdi (pre delivery inspection). Now that being said, they’ll usually have 10 or so miles at most. The way your acting you’d think it was 237. I’d understand your anger in that case. Really 37 is nothing, hardly anything to be that worked up about. And I guarantee you whether it has 7 or 37 they are hard miles, which is actually probably good for performance cars especially during the break-in period. There are different opinions on break-ins, this would be known as a hard break-in. Obviously opinions vary from one person to the other, I personally subscribe to the hard break-in, change the oil after a tank of gas (I treat it like break in oil and figure it’s been in the car a while even if it has low miles) and have never had an issue on any new car or new engine but that’s just my experience and opinion. If you’re getting a good deal and the car is perfect to ya in every other way, I wouldn’t let the 25-30 extra miles stand in the way, hell use it as a negotiation tactic, get some rubber floor mats or vw apparel thrown in for free, the R license plate frame is nice, for example.

cb1111

I don't think you'll find one with far fewer miles. You see to have unresolved anger issues that have nothing to do with the car but do revolve around the dealership.

As an aside, irrational rants like these probably won't make you many friends here. Perhaps you'd be better off in the Honda forums.

In one thread we've got people complaining that dealers won't let them test drive an R, here a sale is lost because one was test driven. Can't make everyone happy.
This. While I've bought cars with under 5 miles on the odometer, I've also bought some with a couple of hundred miles that came from another semi-local dealership.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Go get em Harry. I completely agree with you, and don’t take notice of those on this thread giving you a hard time. You are paying $40k for this car, so no way should you or anyone have to settle for a car that’s been driven more that what is reasonable. For me personally, I am not going to accept a car that’s got more than 10 miles on the clock, that has been sitting in port for longer than a couple of months (or at all if I get my way), and that has the center consule bolted shut. I’d ask the dealer to try intercept one that’s still being delivered to the dealerships. There are plenty of Rs in New York State and even Maryland/DC area.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The horror.

Seriously... It's a Golf not a McLaren.

Mine had 40km (25 miles) on it, not the end of the world. PDI plus a test drive or two. The absolute lowest i've seen at the dealership i bought from was 15km.

The salesman was wrong to lie to you there's no excusing that. If i went to a dealership expecting a car with XX miles and it had more than that i would have walked out too, because there's plenty of dealerships who are honest i would rather give my business to.