GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm officially a VW owner - CEL @ 1502 miles!

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
Okay, so it was self-inflicted. It turns out I started the car right after an oil change....but I had failed to re-install the oil cap, causing a high idle.

After I installed the oil cap and restarted the car, it threw a CEL for -- you guessed it -- unexpectedly high idle.

This is my wife's new car, and I wasn't keen to bring it home from its first oil change with a check-engine light..."you broke it!" Sigh.

I have an OBDEleven! I can clear the code!....but it was in my car and I didn't have my key with me. Going inside to get my car key was going to invite too many questions, thus defeating my stealthy subterfuge.

CarNet to the Rescue! I unlocked my car with the app, got the ODBEleven and the old Android phone I use only for OBDEleven...which was dead...and I had no Android charging cable...so off to Walgreen's to overpay for an Android cable...

....and I called my wife to ask if she needed anything from Walgreens..."why are you at Walgreen's?...."

Attachments

• IMG_5785 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5785 - Copy.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 794

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Same happened to me, cleared with obd11. Good luck!

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Why change the oil at 1500 miles? Just curious, not trying to start something, especially since I'm one to cut the manufacturer's recommended OCI in half (last car was 6K miles, so I did changes at 3-3.5K).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
old school idea of getting early wear metal out of engine. I don't know if it helps but I do it. Much debate about this.....

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
old school idea of getting early wear metal out of engine. I don't know if it helps but I do it. Much debate about this.....
Ah ok, fair enough then. I know on a previous car of mine it was specifically recommended to leave the factory fill in for the whole OCI, but I hadn't read much about it for this car.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Simply no longer needed. Maybe back in the Model T days !!! some may even suggest keeping the early wear metal in there to help hone all the parts. Just listen to the 'engineers' who engineered the engine.. Not some superstitious posters, and that recommendation is 10k or 1yr, which ever comes first.

by all means if you're going to tune, maybe bring that down a bit, since the 'engineers' didn't factor all that extra power, but if you think about it, if that was really the case, then higher powered motors would then say make it 6k instead of 10k. Since they don't , and unless you're racing, 10k should see you fine.

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if folks are joking.
Engine oil change interval is 10,000 miles.
Its OBD-II, as in 2, not 11.
Most OBDII apps for phones will let you clear codes. Can get an OBDII tool at Walmart for $20-40. Some places will clear engine codes for you for free.
Or the dealer.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
It's OBDEleven, as in the name brand product.

Look it up.

Yup, and OBD2 is the port it plugs into :cool:, and the OBDII tools he is talking about are in fact, OBD2 tools or rather diagnostic heads that you plug into the OBD2 port. OBD1 came before OBD2, and before OBD2 became standard (starting in 96 taking full effect in 98, although some manufacturers started implementing it in 94), most manufactures had their own diagnostic port in different shapes and configurations for OBD1. Before that, there were no check engine lights, just O2 Sensor lights telling you to replace the sensor (only one during those times, emissions be dammed) and the CAT.

Early oil changes were back in the day when cars came with engine break-in oil. The owners manual would inform you of this and tell you when to change or rather have the oil changed.

As engine, and oil technology advanced, the need for break-in oil, and early oil changes vanished. At the same time manufacturers began to suggest longer and longer oil change intervals.

Currently with modern synthetic oils, they don't start to break down until after one year. As far as mileage goes, it really depends on your driving style and habit. The more highway miles, the longer you can extend your intervals. The more stop and go traffic, the sooner your changes should be.

The same goes for engine break in routines and habits. While most owners manuals give you a break in routine, just like the increase oil change intervals, its not always in the best interest of the car. That's why burning a quart of oil every 1k or whatever is "acceptable".

It's almost like I know what I'm talking about! How many of you remember blink codes, or have diagnosed cars with blink codes? Those are fun. For those of you who don't know, you have to bridge connectors in the diagnostic port, switch on the ignition and then count the amount of times and frequency the CEL blinked. This would give you the code. It would flash, giving you the 10's column, then a short pause, and more flashing to give you the 1's column to look up the code. Fun stuff.

Last edited:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Most OBDII apps for phones will let you clear codes. Can get an OBDII tool at Walmart for $20-40. Some places will clear engine codes for you for free.
Or the dealer.

Oh boy...:D

cb1111

Or the dealer.
Here is some advice for you.

Step away from the keyboard and just spend a month reading.

Do it now.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
How many of you remember blink codes, or have diagnosed cars with blink codes? Those are fun. For those of you who don't know, you have to bridge connectors in the diagnostic port, switch on the ignition and then count the amount of times and frequency the CEL blinked. This would give you the code. It would flash, giving you the 10's column, then a short pause, and more flashing to give you the 1's column to look up the code. Fun stuff.

My 1984 GTI had this type of diagnostic, IIRC.

lexington

BMW still recommends oil change after the first 1200 miles for their M cars.

1200 Mile Running-In Service​
Maintenance work:​
All models: Change the engine oil and oil filter.

For the recommended oil for your BMW​
vehicle, please refer to the Owner’s Manual.