GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofit rear hatch strip on bumper?

cezar

Passed Driver's Ed
Noticed a (7.5?) golf had a little plastic strip on the rear bumper to protect it while loading things into the hatch. Can this be retrofitted? My bumper is all scratched up in that spot.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I am using the New German Performance (NGP) one, as I didn't like the OEM brushed look. So far I am happy.

Fitment is spot on and I will likely order their door sill guards in the near future.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I used the OE clear bumper film. Although I scratched my bumper squeegeeing it out. D’oh!

This is my preference. Lamin-X or Invisiblemask. I have the latter.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Check the size of the gap between the bottom edge of the tailgate and the flat horizontal surface of the bumper before fitting one of these protective strips - especially if it’s from a third party manufacturer.

Some Golf owners on various forums in the past have had issues with the lower edge of the tailgate/ hatch making contact with the flat horizontal surface of the bumper when opening and closing the tailgate / hatch, resulting in the paint being removed from either the bumper or lower edge of the hatch. And that’s without a protective strip fitted to the bumper that could reduce the size of the gap when the thickness of the strip is taken into account - that black bumper protective strip looks to be a few millimetres thick, so fitting it could result in rubbing issues.