GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good Rotors For Track Use

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
What are some good rotors for track use? We usually do 20 minute sessions split into two groups. I'm currently on the stock rotors (340mm rotors) with EBC YellowStuff and looking to upgrade my rotors when they get too thin. I know drilled rotors are no good so thinking of slotted or just blanks. If I go with blanks, looking at Zimmermann. For slotted, ECS or Stoptech.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
What are some good rotors for track use? We usually do 20 minute sessions split into two groups. I'm currently on the stock rotors (340mm rotors) with EBC YellowStuff and looking to upgrade my rotors when they get too thin. I know drilled rotors are no good so thinking of slotted or just blanks. If I go with blanks, looking at Zimmermann. For slotted, ECS or Stoptech.

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A7561A0A0.aspx

or any from FCP Euro because you can get free ones after you wear out the first purchased ones.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Stoptech has cyro-treated rotors also, as an option (for more money, of course).

FCPeuro would be an optioin, if they carried the PP sized front rotors in the first place, so you'll have to contact them to get them to list it.

Also, with blanks, look at Centric High Carbon (the parent company of Stoptech). It may be available cyro-treated as well.

I asked FCP euro to see if slotted Zimmermans were available for US distribution.... and they are looking into it.

Last edited:

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Don't bother spending money on expensive rotors unless they're directional. Because the same $250+ Stoptechs are the same as the $100 Centrics since neither are directional (you just pay more for the former's name and slots).

This is what I run (Pro-systems race rotors):

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Don't bother spending money on expensive rotors unless they're directional. Because the same $250+ Stoptechs are the same as the $100 Centrics since neither are directional (you just pay more for the former's name and slots).

You mean directional vanes, not the slotting (and/or drill)

SRoads

Ready to race!

What website do you purchase from?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Again, not directionally vaned.

DBA uses a pillar vane design which maximizes vane surface area. People assume that the reason behind going with a directional vane as compared to a straight vane (or non-directional rotor) is due to the directional vanes acting as a small blower of sorts to help pump air through the rotor. This is to true to some extent, but the real physics behind a directional vane’s ability to cool the rotor better is because directional vanes are normally longer than non-directional, and have more surface area. More surface area equals greater cooling efficiency. The 4000/5000 series DBA rotors have up to 60% more vane surface area than a straight vane rotor.

The takeaway being that a straight vane design and a pillar vane design are not at all the same. Pillar vanes being significantly more efficient at cooling, and more akin to the capabilities of a directional design - maybe even more-so depending on the rotor.

The 4000 t3 Club Spec are one-piece purpose built track rotors, and a good value at around half the price of a good quality 2-piece rotor.

Last edited:

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
DBA uses a pillar vane design which maximizes vane surface area. People assume that the reason behind going with a directional vane as compared to a straight vane (or non-directional rotor) is due to the directional vanes acting as a small blower of sorts to help pump air through the rotor. This is to true to some extent, but the real physics behind a directional vane’s ability to cool the rotor better is because directional vanes are normally longer than non-directional, and have more surface area. More surface area equals greater cooling efficiency. The 4000/5000 series DBA rotors have up to 60% more vane surface area than a straight vane rotor.

The takeaway being that a straight vane design and a pillar vane design are not at all the same. Pillar vanes being significantly more efficient at cooling, and more akin to the capabilities of a directional design - maybe even more-so depending on the rotor.

The 4000 t3 Club Spec are one-piece purpose built track rotors, and a good value at around half the price of a good quality 2-piece rotor.

The stock rotors are pillar vanes, same with any OEM replacements. The difference between the temperatures purely come from thermal mass as well as the air gap and surface contact. Takeaway from this is that DBA kangaroo paw pillars vs stock pillars aren't exceedingly different such that you need to spend double on DBA. Interesting note, DBA themselves also offer directionally vaned rotors on their 5000 series 2 piece rotors.

One could argue that Brembo, AP Racing and Alcon are at the top of their game, so it's no coincidence that all of their motorsport rotors or even top-tier BBK's use directionally vaned rotors. Not because pillars are better (Brembo has a huge pillar vaned-rotor selection), but rather in competition use, directionality makes a difference.

In other words, I stand by my fact that if you aren't going to get directional rotors (ala AP, Girodisc etc), don't spend money on 'upgraded' rotors from companies like Stoptech or DBA. Centric also offers high-carbon rotors at a fraction of the price. Improve brake cooling with ducts.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
The stock rotors are pillar vanes, same with any OEM replacements. The difference between the temperatures purely come from thermal mass as well as the air gap and surface contact. Takeaway from this is that DBA kangaroo paw pillars vs stock pillars aren't exceedingly different such that you need to spend double on DBA. Interesting note, DBA themselves also offer directionally vaned rotors on their 5000 series 2 piece rotors.

One could argue that Brembo, AP Racing and Alcon are at the top of their game, so it's no coincidence that all of their motorsport rotors or even top-tier BBK's use directionally vaned rotors. Not because pillars are better (Brembo has a huge pillar vaned-rotor selection), but rather in competition use, directionality makes a difference.

In other words, I stand by my fact that if you aren't going to get directional rotors (ala AP, Girodisc etc), don't spend money on 'upgraded' rotors from companies like Stoptech or DBA. Centric also offers high-carbon rotors at a fraction of the price. Improve brake cooling with ducts.

I don't disagree with a lot of this ^, however it is important to note that DBA rotors have as much as 10% more thermal mass than OEM rotors specifically for this reason. They are measurably heavier than the OEM rotors, as well as the Centric Cryo rotors of the same size that I use for daily driving.

Combined with a good quality high-carbon metallurgy, a well designed pillar vane system, CNC slots, decent corrosion protection, and thermographic paint indicators (which are much more efficient at tracking temp peaks than say, an IR gun - especially for the casual user), they provide a pretty compelling product IMO. The 4000 series certainly isn't the pinnacle of brake rotors, but I'm not sure what else you'd want from a track rotor at this price. A good 2-piece rotor is easily double the cost of the 4000 series DBA. Whether or not they're worth it is entirely up to the individual. They cost me $100 CDN total more than my Centric Cryo front rotors FWIW.

I do agree 100% with your comments on cooling. This is where the differences become measurable and significant. The cooling ducts from the RS3 would be a minimum IMO (I saw an 80-100c peak difference with them last season).