GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

cb1111

Picked my car up from the dealer, they were advised by VTA that if they couldn't reproduce this stalling issue then the car should be returned to me.

I used thomapa1's method above and was able to get the car to stall 3 times 10 minutes after leaving the dealership. I headed back to the service department but the car had since stopped stalling and I was unable to get it to happen again. The service manager has also previously told me I would have to pay for a tech's time to follow the thomapa1 process.

VW customer care opened my buyback request but I am not hopeful as the dealership maintains that they can't reproduce the issue. I did get the cam magnet replacement so I am confused on their stance that there is no issue. I have been patient but it is starting to reach my limit.
Try a different dealer.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Unrelated question (sorta), but based on something I either read in this thread or another one, but couldn't find.

Someone mentioned changing their oil at 300m, and I'm not sure if they did that as a response to this issue, but it sounded like a planned thing--is that normal? Or is it more typical to change at 1k on new engines after "break in?" Or even wait the typical full recommended mileage?

I never really purchased a "zero" mileage car before, so this is new to me, heh.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
I always heard 1,000-1,500 miles to change it. That's clinging to a lot of old school ideas though. Even still, I changed mine at 1,250ish to split the difference. I'm sure its not required before the normal interval. Thats what the owners manual seems to indicate. This is my first new car too(at least that I care about) and didn't see any harm in changing it early...Could be wrong though

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely no harm in changing the oil early...except to the Earth! ;)

Almost certainly unnecessary though, kidding aside. Oil and engines are both much more advanced than they were when you changed early because the engine actually had to wear in.

shogun44a

Someone mentioned changing their oil at 300m, and I'm not sure if they did that as a response to this issue, but it sounded like a planned thing

It's normal for me. I prefer to get any and all crud out from manufacturing as soon as reasonable. Plus the 5w20 oil they're using is a CAFE dodge. The correct oil is at least a 5w30 or 5w40.

Also I'm actively trying to screw the dealership out of as much service money as I can. I'm authorized 5 oil changes a year and by god I intend to make them do every single one.

shogun44a

I would strongly advise AGAINST changing oil or making any any mods until you've sorted this out.

If you change oil specs AND still have the problem, then VW can say "not our problem, you used the wrong oil".

Rubbish. Just tell the dealership you want the 502 5w/40 oil put into the crank case. They won't bat an eye. The only way this could become a "we'll yank your warranty" is if they absolutely refuse to comply with your request and you go to some non-VW entity and have it done !!AND!! Vw can also *PROVE* the oil was so far off the chart that it caused the narrowly-defined problem at hand.

It's one thing to put tar (20w50) in your engine but the characteristic differences between 5w20 and 5w40 below 100degC are so negligible it doesn't even rate.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's normal for me. I prefer to get any and all crud out from manufacturing as soon as reasonable. Plus the 5w20 oil they're using is a CAFE dodge. The correct oil is at least a 5w30 or 5w40.

Also I'm actively trying to screw the dealership out of as much service money as I can. I'm authorized 5 oil changes a year and by god I intend to make them do every single one.

I like your attitude. :D

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

I mean, I appreciate the intent.

However, I would rather stab myself than take the car to the dealership unless absolutely necessary. My car has only returned to the dealer once, to have the transmission replaced :p

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
I mean, I appreciate the intent.

However, I would rather stab myself than take the car to the dealership unless absolutely necessary. My car has only returned to the dealer once, to have the transmission replaced :p

Yeah, I agree. It's on par with going to the dentist... Doing the oil change myself is also part of my therapy regimen. Just like washing and waxing.
Gotta take it in to get my shift knob fixed/reattached though :(

Also, I was just topping off my oil just now because the 6qts I added with the oil change didn't quite top it off so I added roughly 300ml(whatever that is in ounces I don't know) and I noticed a data sticker on the side of my engine block right near the filter housing that said a build date of 18/10/18 which I'm assuming is 10/18/18 to us in the U.S.... Maybe that could have a better correlation to the stalling than a final build date because mine are 2 months apart engine assembly vs final build date in the door jamb and the DAY is written not just a broad month. If it is in fact an engine build date.

Also a thought I had, everyone having stalling is running 93 or 91? What gas stations? Any trend to be seen with that? I know I tend to use the same gas stations often. I usually try to use Shell or a Speedway here in Ohio. I use 93 if its just 93 and not some crazy expensive v-power shit.

CliffClavin

New owner and member. Unfortunate my first post is about this, but have had 2 occurrences of stalling with about 345 on the odometer now. 2019 SE manual. First was on the highway slowing down from about 45 to 0. Put it in first gear and realize the vehicle had turned off. No drama to it, the engine just cut off. Second occurrence was with some in town driving. Slowing from about 35, engage first and engine cut out. I’ll keep an eye on this thread for a fix.

I tried to recreate a couple of times and was not successful. Enjoying the vehicle besides this, but hope there is a fix soon because I will not own the vehicle long if this issue persists.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Added about 1000 miles on this weekend with a road trip and lots of stop and go. No hiccups so far, got about 2500 miles on it so far.

thomapa1

Passed Driver's Ed
New owner and member. Unfortunate my first post is about this, but have had 2 occurrences of stalling with about 345 on the odometer now. 2019 SE manual. First was on the highway slowing down from about 45 to 0. Put it in first gear and realize the vehicle had turned off. No drama to it, the engine just cut off. Second occurrence was with some in town driving. Slowing from about 35, engage first and engine cut out. I’ll keep an eye on this thread for a fix.

I tried to recreate a couple of times and was not successful. Enjoying the vehicle besides this, but hope there is a fix soon because I will not own the vehicle long if this issue persists.

Sorry to hear. This is what seems to be a common problem that is not yet acknowledged by VW. See my prior posts on how to (hopefully) recreate the stalling issue. You will need to have a tech in the car with you to recreate it or else (to them) the problem does not exist. It is not you, it is the car - no new car should stall unexpectedly - ever! One stall is too many, it is not safe. It is a difficult road to get the car bought back or fixed.

Please enter your VIN into the NHTSA database, it will take you less than 5 minutes.
Good luck.

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Update (no news is good news):

I'm just about to hit 6K. I performed the throttle body adaptation over 2,500mi ago and haven't had a stalling issue since. Turning off transport mode in central electronics had no effect, it stalled still... then I did the TBA 2,500+mi ago.

Others have reported still having the issue after the TBA, but for me this is the longest trouble free stretch so far. It's running great.

thomapa1

Passed Driver's Ed
Update (no news is good news):

I'm just about to hit 6K. I performed the throttle body adaptation over 2,500mi ago and haven't had a stalling issue since. Turning off transport mode in central electronics had no effect, it stalled still... then I did the TBA 2,500+mi ago.

Others have reported still having the issue after the TBA, but for me this is the longest trouble free stretch so far. It's running great.

Good news! hope your luck continues, but that doesn't appear to be a global fix. They did a TBA to ours as well - still stalled.

It is a crappy feeling anticipating your new car stalling when you least expect it. No new car should stall unexpectedly and since VW cares not to acknowledge it, that tells me that a 'fix' is a ways away, if ever. I'd hate to own a new car that has this issue. You feel taken as a consumer and VW gives the impression they are 'clean'.

I sent this to VW, did not hear anything back - i'm sure they deleted / ignored.

I would like to make you aware of what I am finding to be a serious safety issue with 2019 VW GTI vehicles. As you are aware, my son, xxx went through a service issue with you regarding a stalling at idle problem that could not be fixed. VW is in process of buying back that vehicle.

As VW is trying to retain him as a customer, he was excited to get into a working GTI and had negotiated an agreeable price on a 2019 Rabbit edition GTI from VW of xxxx.

Today he went to attempt to purchase that vehicle, and of course, based on past experience, requested a thorough test drive to ensure there was no stalling issue. After 15 minutes of stop and go driving (simulating being in bumper to bumper traffic) and about 50 full stops – the car he was going to purchase stalled!

Same conditions as you and xxx observed, I was in the car as well.

We went back to the dealer, explained what we found and while we were frustrated, gave them the chance to try a sell us a new SE model GTI. Again, another test drive – and under the same conditions, this new SE vehicle stalled as well.

That makes it 3 brand new cars – 3 times we can recreate the car unexpectedly stalling!

How in this world is this not a known, major issue within VW circles? How can these cars be sold to unknowing people with the potential to be rear ended due to an unexpected stall?

What I am seeking is:

To get my son into a working GTI – however, this is proving to be impossible.
My other concern, which I will pursue...is VW selling cars with easily re-creatable stalling issues. This is not right, no customer should be put in this position. Either VW does not know about this problem or they are not acknowledging it.
I will ask that you please make my concern and position known to your superiors, as it is next to impossible to find a contact of authority within VW to speak with directly.

I would welcome a phone call with anyone within VW to explain more precisely this experience, as I am sure that many will try to discount it as driver error or some other nonsense. As you have witnessed yourself with all of us in a car – this error is repeatable on 2019 GTIs regardless of trim level.

Attached are the details of the 3 new cars that we were able to re-create the stalling issue. I expect these cars would not be sold to an unknowing customer.

My son has opened an NHTSA complaint on the car he had purchased. I plan to open NHTSA complaints on the additional 2 GTIs we test drove today.

And, if this continues to go without acknowledgement - I can keep testing 2019 GTIs at other local dealerships and reporting/escalating the safety issue with their VINs – I am confident that every one I try will stall.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
And, if this continues to go without acknowledgement - I can keep testing 2019 GTIs at other local dealerships and reporting/escalating the safety issue with their VINs – I am confident that every one I try will stall.

I love it.