GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone changed their oil without the car up?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
When I used my extractor, I got like 5.7 or something, pretty much as much as I could get from the car. My only thing was when I used the extractor, I put the extended tube in the other tube and it was kinda odd like i feel like there should be some kinda connector piece between the 2 plastic tubes instead of just shoving the smaller one in the larger one. Its possible I used it wrong but it worked.

That’s what she said

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Another happy extractor user here, the ease and convienence can't be beat IMO.

We get it.... you don’t want to use an extractor. Thanks.

[emoji23]

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Consistent extractor use and always pull about 99.3% of the oil out. Dump 6qts. and motor on. I don't consume much if any between changes and can judge by where it ends up on the extractor barrel as to when I have it all out. If your using liters, the tiny bit extra for dumping in 6L won't bother anything.

Extract that little bit left in the filter housing area too after taking the cartridge out. So a big middle finger to all those gravity drainers throwing shade about extractors not getting out all the oil :D. I still get under the car at each tire rotation for a little look around.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Consistent extractor use and always pull about 99.3% of the oil out. Dump 6qts. and motor on. I don't consume much if any between changes and can judge by where it ends up on the extractor barrel as to when I have it all out. If your using liters, the tiny bit extra for dumping in 6L won't bother anything.

Extract that little bit left in the filter housing area too after taking the cartridge out. So a big middle finger to all those gravity drainers throwing shade about extractors not getting out all the oil :D. I still get under the car at each tire rotation for a little look around.

Ya I made sure to suck up the oil that was drained down from the filter area.

When I drop off the oil at AutoZone will they be able to measure it for me or do I just dump it and leave? Also, does anyone know approximately how much the bare minimum oil level is safe for our cars? (how much oil is in the car when its at the bottom line on the dipstick?)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I doubt they'll measure it.

when filling it stop at 4 qts and look at stick, 5 qts and look at stick, then 6 qts. That will give you a good enough reference.

simple answer is you need to the bottom of the hash marks or whatever the manual says.