GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DownPipe

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
When you say a good fitted pipe what is that meaning, some of the pipes that say they are supposed to fit the Gti sometimes don't? Why would someone make a pipe for a specific car that doesn't fit right? And what are people talking about the pipe cracking, why does that happen, and can it happen to the stock downpipe as well,, or does it only happen to aftermarket pipes for some reason?

Cheap product = cheap material = cheap construction. Meaning shitty material properties, shitty welds. You get what you pay for.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
When you say a good fitted pipe what is that meaning, some of the pipes that say they are supposed to fit the Gti sometimes don't? Why would someone make a pipe for a specific car that doesn't fit right? And what are people talking about the pipe cracking, why does that happen, and can it happen to the stock downpipe as well,, or does it only happen to aftermarket pipes for some reason?

Even tho it says it will fit, some are harder to get to fit perfect than others. Its like you buy a pair of shorts in size 34 and another in size 34 but they dont fit the same. For cracking, I would say some are badly designed and if u hit a large bump it could car due to bad welds, poor design, poor metal choice ect, bad luck. Im pretty sure i saw someone cracked an apr which is 750$ and its bad luck there tbh. Mostly all name brand pipes wont crack easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
Even tho it says it will fit, some are harder to get to fit perfect than others. Its like you buy a pair of shorts in size 34 and another in size 34 but they dont fit the same. For cracking, I would say some are badly designed and if u hit a large bump it could car due to bad welds, poor design, poor metal choice ect, bad luck. Im pretty sure i saw someone cracked an apr which is 750$ and its bad luck there tbh. Mostly all name brand pipes wont crack easy

Oh OK Will I be able to know if it cracks, like will there be a weird noise or something, and if it did crack I'll just have to weld it back together most likely?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
fun thread...

OP i suggest you find a local VW tuner shop, tell them youd like a downpipe installed for a max of $800 parts/labor, make sure they put in an O2 spacer and call it a day.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Do I need an 02 spacer even with the eurodyne tune? I thought that was for if you didn't have a tune

I don't know about eurodyne, but pretty much all real tunes have code that turns off the o2 sensor so there is no need for the spacer. I only have a JB4 so I have the spacer.... im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. also 800$ for parts/labor and a tune is wack. I got a CTS DP as a gift with o2 sensor spacer, installed at a local shop for $100 so.... i got lucky but also have a loving GF and it was christmas... she won tho since she got a macbook out of it

EmmKay11945

Ready to race!
I don't know about eurodyne, but pretty much all real tunes have code that turns off the o2 sensor so there is no need for the spacer. I only have a JB4 so I have the spacer.... im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. also 800$ for parts/labor and a tune is wack. I got a CTS DP as a gift with o2 sensor spacer, installed at a local shop for $100 so.... i got lucky but also have a loving GF and it was christmas... she won tho since she got a macbook out of it

Yeah I see alot of people have the cts dp. Was it a good fit?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
completely understand now. I didn't realize that this was a recent thread. that being said, i thought he chimed in to clown on me.

Yes, if you can, let me know if it fits perfectly or not either way, that would be great! FYI, everything i've purchased thru CTS (intercooler and downpipe) does not come w instructions, so you might want to print them out or have a laptop handy. Ref. install of the downpipe: its a pretty simple install (especially since i used my buddy's lift) but the instructions say to "hand tighten the bracket then clamp downpipe to turbocharger" (w grommets underneath the car). We found it almost impossible to align and clamp the downpipe to the turbocharger, so we did it in reverse......clamp to turbocharger then set grommet bracket....again, this was much easier on a lift! It really wasn't that difficult to get the pipe out. just make sure you remove the downpipe screws, which will make it much easier to finagle that ish out. It will take you forever to get the heat shield bolts off..PITA. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention, really changed the sound of my exhaust...it sounds great! not too loud, but noticeable. you really do feel the difference in performance. throttle response is noticeable. I'm just freaked out to push it to its limits since i've got the stock clutch (6 speed). I'm running IE stage 1 (hi-torque 93)...oh and after i purchased stage 2 from them (2 weeks ago), they notified me that they still haven't completed the update, which should be out by next week. I also installed the Unitronic Carbon Fiber intake. All in all, this combination has transformed my car. I'm installing the intercooler this weekend.

Thanks, I'll save that in case we run into problems tomorrow. We don't have a lift so hopefully it's not too bad without one.

Yeah I see alot of people have the cts dp. Was it a good fit?

We have been talking about fitment with that exact downpipe in this very thread.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

That was $800 max parts and labor... doesnt need to be that high but if OP wants to get a more expensive "better fitting" option, the cost could approach that. The APR/Uni/IE pipes are all in that neighborhood new...

And $100 for install is, I would think, a pretty freakin good deal...

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Cheap product = cheap material = cheap construction. Meaning shitty material properties, shitty welds. You get what you pay for.

So, what happens if you get a 42Draft Designs product? Not cheap in price, but their standard material is cheap Aluminized Steel, but they come with good welds & machined parts.

People do want good value, which sometimes you can find diamonds in the rough, where people are not paying a lot of money because a company has name-value, thus provides their own justification to inflate the price for higher profit margins.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
That was $800 max parts and labor... doesnt need to be that high but if OP wants to get a more expensive "better fitting" option, the cost could approach that. The APR/Uni/IE pipes are all in that neighborhood new...

And $100 for install is, I would think, a pretty freakin good deal...

Your right my dp was a gift but i wouldnt wanna spend 800$ i would cheap for something 5 + install so hopefully under 7

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Your right my dp was a gift but i wouldnt wanna spend 800$ i would cheap for something 5 + install so hopefully under 7

Thats what I did. Baun DP from GTI Jake which was just under 5 and installed it with a buddy... fit great... we ran into some small issues like you do on anything but nothing insurmountable...