GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Constant clunking when braking

lo-vw

Passed Driver's Ed
Some extra info.

-Cant get the noise to happen in reverse
-Noise coming from in front of the driver/ driver side wheel well.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Check the hub for runout? a bigger diameter rotor may have made a problem that was already there more noticeable.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well it’s definitely a speed dependent rotational noise so that leaves wheel bearing and axle if you’ve eliminated the brake components.

Jack the car and check for play in the WB.

Also with both front wheels up check for rotational slop in the CV joints, torn boots (grease flung everywhere)

My money is on WB, because a BBK being solid mounted vs the OEM floating caliper would definitely amplify the noise more

lo-vw

Passed Driver's Ed
Fantastic information guys.
When I first heard this noise ,pre bbk, I thought it was a WB and replaced it no more then 5k miles ago.

Could it be bad again... Maybe? but strange.

I will add that on the driver side if I push on the top of the wheel, and pull on the bottom of the wheel I get slight movement (pre and post BBK this has been there). This was also why I thought it was a wheel bearing when I first replaced it, however the movement was still there immediately after replacement.

So then one would think its the lower ball joint moving but everything looks fine and when I put a pry bar to any portion of the ball joint to make it move it does not and only flexes the steel control arm. I also videotaped it when I move wheel and it does not move. I can share if needed.

So then i started taking video of lower ball joint and coil over and found coil over moves slightly, I bought a new coil over kit and new one does the same thing so I am stumped again. Not sure if this movement is related or not, my guess is becoming not as like you had mentioned its a rotational noise based on speed.

like I said I have tried alot and completely stumped. I know CV will make noise when turning when failing but I have never heard of it doing this when stopping? Is that possible? And it wont make the noise in reverse?

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
I've read quite a few posts here with people who have clunking brakes after changing pads(no bbk). Seems like the pads aren't being held in place tight enough and have room to move. Maybe different issue than yours, idk.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Check your rear brakes, inspect to see if there are any pad layers or spots on the rotors that you can see any type of deposit. Ive seen this before and ive replaced rotors or cut them to fix the issue. Most of the time it was from the rear brake rotors. Something to look at

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Wow! Never heard such a sound! How about trying just another set of brake pads to see if you get a somewhat different sound, although it is difficult to believe that somewhat loose brake pads could make such a sound. Don't think it would be a WB.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I will add that on the driver side if I push on the top of the wheel, and pull on the bottom of the wheel I get slight movement (pre and post BBK this has been there). This was also why I thought it was a wheel bearing when I first replaced it, however the movement was still there immediately after replacement.

So obviously your wheel shouldn't be moving AT ALL, especially after the WB replacement. What about your axle bolt? Are you 100% sure you torqued correctly, what are they, like 200NM +180 degrees and they are TTY so you have to replace them. If your wheel is wiggling on the hub and you checked all the other things (ball joint and shock installed into hub correctly), maybe look there.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Check your caliper carrier bolts, both in the adapter to knuckle and adapter to caliper.

Mine loosened up over time and made a similar noise. Loctite that shit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk