GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heated seats retrofit

KeeganMcc

I guess I'm asking will a CG work instead of a CF without any issues? Adaptations etc

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I've just completed the retrofit. I didn't use any of those BCMs you supplied. I used 5Q0937084CP. You have to make sure it's from a facelift Golf as this BCM can also come out of an Audi Q2. Apparently all the adaptations are different... which makes sense.

Sammie M

I've just completed the retrofit. I didn't use any of those BCMs you supplied. I used 5Q0937084CP. You have to make sure it's from a facelift Golf as this BCM can also come out of an Audi Q2. Apparently all the adaptations are different... which makes sense.
Thanks for this. The CG is from a mk7.5 facelifted car.
Would you please have the procedure for wiring and coding adaptations ?

Sammie M

Thanks for this. The CG is from a mk7.5 facelifted car.
Would you please have the procedure for wiring and coding adaptations ?

Although yes can come from Audi's also.

venigo

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally I have almost finally done the job of the retrofit (need to do doorpanels still).. Didn't have the time for it else would done it earlier. I would like to make this topic for others a point of information.

What I was missing and caused confusion on the installation, is that the seat control module was missing (duh.. I looked totally over it, didn't notice it was missing because my original seats were just comfortline..).

So what is done and bought (Golf mk75 2017):
Bought Ergoactive seat without airbags half leather (and without driver seat control module..) for around € 500 (with shipping).
Bought High BCM module. (5Q0937084CG) for around € 150 (with shipping + warranty, on ebay you can find it cheaper).
Climate control. (5G0907044 CF) (around € 75 euros incl shipping).
Seat control module. (3AA959257) (around € 50 euros).
Kufatec wiring seat heating + adjusment (39952-1) (around € 70 euros).

(+/- pricing added, so you can make a costs projection).

The interior set:

Original interior:

I had already the High can gateway module etc.

As it was for me the first time on installing this kind of stuff and wiring it was a very fun (sometimes.. I admit) and learnable job to do. I will add some pictures later on for future people that are retrofitting this to. With also the adaption / coding stuff.

First swapped the airbags and belts of the seats. I did first the back seats as they were the easiest (driver seat was done last). *Note that you need to open the plastic cap of the big back seat to place the belt. You can open the big black rounded rectangle plastic rim (tip for the starters).

After the back seating was done, I started with the passenger seat. First I uninstalled the four bolts with a XZN bit (Bit 2597-02 ∙ Sechskant8 (5/16 Zoll) ∙ Innen Vielzahn Profil XZN - 2597-02 von Hazet). You can do this easy, with first slide the seat to the back, unscrew the two front bolts. And vice versa, slide seat to front and unscrew the back bolts.
Then becames the fun parts, swapping airbags. You need to uncut some clips that are keeping the leather/stoff to the seat foam. Then you can pull up the seat cover. Unscrew the bolt that is keeping the airbag in place. I have also uninstalled the wiring on the original comfort seat. The same proces is done backwards at the ergo active seats. I you have no tool for the tinner/iron clamps/clips inside the back you can use strong tiwraps to. You will not notice them if you take place in the seats.
You will have an extra wire for the seat heating @ the ‘new’ seat. This big one, is ofcourse for the heating mat inside the seat. The other two cables and gong sensor were swapped, so they could be connected easily again.

Then I did the arm rest. Since this on is leather to. It was done pretty easy. You can remove the top cover. It is pretty straight forward. I did only replace the cover, since I don’t going to install startstop stuff etc. I also don’t need the two extra buttons for disabling asr or switching driver profile, since this can be done by the 5f and it is needing some wiring to (and I hate that stuff).

After the backseat and passenger front seat was done. I installed the climate control panel. It was easy and didn’t need to remove the component protection of it. It was working straight away. You only need to enable the seat heating bit in vcds.

I installed in meantime dynamic tail lights and xenon headlights to the car. So project was a bit on hold.

Then the bcm arrives.. Damn, the original one… That was ridicoulus hard to remove from the left side / below the dash @ steering side when doing that for the first time. I did the wiring on a later time, because I drive the car everyday. So first installed the BCM.

Buh.. Christmas time.. The car was having the wrong adaptions, coding, component protection etc. So you will need odis / online access for this one. If you don’t have odis / vas by yourself, swap the bcm @ the dealer and let them remove the CP, set the module to upgrade state and code/adapt it to the standard known online procedure (previous vcds tweaks are lost then, so write them down).

After that was sorted and everything working again I started to replace the driver seat. Almost the same procedure as the front passenger seat. Only I didn’t know that it needed a seat control module (f***). So the seats and bcm were installed and also the armrest cover. Finally I had some time (and courage) to do these wiring stuff, when you are doing it.. better buy some footwell lights (aliexpress) if you dont have them. You can install it easily in front (+ back, I didn’t install it at the bottom front seats at the moment) to. The wiring of the footwell goes to C72. Back to the seat harness. I installed and I must say. That kufatec wiring is good stuff. You can easily install it below the floor. It are very long wires, so you shouldn’t have any problem with that. Added it to the bcm pins as instructions of kufatec. Added fuse on 45. And tested the seats.. That ergo massage function is nice!
I opened vcds, did go to control module 09 and activated seat heating (am bcm).. Not working.. Grr. I checked everything, wiring oke, climate control module working, button glows up etc.. My german is not that good so it did take some time that I needed to set the temperature in the adaptions (!!). 1-2-3 is the drivers seat. 4-5-6 is the passenger seat. Default values, make 3 and 6 a temperature 53.5 celcius (that’s hot..). I made them under 45, above 46. So if I am correct I have now ( 1 and 4) 25-26. (2 and 5) 34-35. (3 and 6) 45-46.

Tested it, and finally working! Now I only still need to do the doors, and replacing the standard mirrors to electrical folding mirrors (also adding the door lights). I hope to do these in the next weeks. Also I will add some pictures maybe later to this post. On the progress and ho wit looks now. All by all, good lessons and I think I did a pretty good job for a first time and only calling the dealers for the latest BCM info (lol)..

How it looks now (still have to do the doors as mentioned), also added RVS pedals.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I solved it, there is a document on RT wiki that states how the AC should be re-initialized after replacing the control panel.

all is good now!

Can you post a link to that info? I will be replacing my HVAC module for my heated seats retrofit soon and have not found that info anywhere. Thanks!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would be interested in that link as well. Southpawboston, what seats are you putting in? I imported some Mk7.5 GTD seats that I'm in the process of installing. I have only messed with the passenger seat at this point.

The harnesses are not the same at all. Different size/color/number of plugs (except the airbag connector) but I expected that. I'm going to be switching the seat rails too as they are slightly different (and my passenger seat rails has an unknown sensor on it, figure it's best to keep it).

The seats I imported are heated (more on that later). I bought a new passenger seat lower heating pad, which contains the occupancy sensor, and fitted it beneath the heating element in my new seat. I did test it first in the car (outside of my seat) to make sure it wasn't broken out of the box.

So the heating... I bought the Kufatec harnesses. They will work with the existing heaters in my new passenger seat. It would definitely require some wiring work if I was just retro-fitting heaters to my existing seat. Since the occupancy sensor is in the heating pad its plug connects to the airbag controller. On the new seats the heating elements plug right into the Kufatec harness. The heating in the new seats is not actually part of the seat harness; not the case for seats I'm taking out.

I'll try to get some pictures. It's actually working out for me that I imported seats. The Kufatec harness seems to be for non NAR cars. Quick search didn't show anybody in the states having used their harness. I will essentially be running my existing harness on the new seats (with new occupancy sensor), with heating on a separate harness (all Kufatec).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I would be interested in that link as well. Southpawboston, what seats are you putting in? I imported some Mk7.5 GTD seats that I'm in the process of installing. I have only messed with the passenger seat at this point.

The harnesses are not the same at all. Different size/color/number of plugs (except the airbag connector) but I expected that. I'm going to be switching the seat rails too as they are slightly different (and my passenger seat rails has an unknown sensor on it, figure it's best to keep it).

The seats I imported are heated (more on that later). I bought a new passenger seat lower heating pad, which contains the occupancy sensor, and fitted it beneath the heating element in my new seat. I did test it first in the car (outside of my seat) to make sure it wasn't broken out of the box.

So the heating... I bought the Kufatec harnesses. They will work with the existing heaters in my new passenger seat. It would definitely require some wiring work if I was just retro-fitting heaters to my existing seat. Since the occupancy sensor is in the heating pad its plug connects to the airbag controller. On the new seats the heating elements plug right into the Kufatec harness. The heating in the new seats is not actually part of the seat harness; not the case for seats I'm taking out.

I'll try to get some pictures. It's actually working out for me that I imported seats. The Kufatec harness seems to be for non NAR cars. Quick search didn't show anybody in the states having used their harness. I will essentially be running my existing harness on the new seats (with new occupancy sensor), with heating on a separate harness (all Kufatec).

From what I've learned myself so far, everything you're saying makes sense. The wiring of the seats is VERY different between NAR and ROW cars, probably due to the differences in airbag/occupancy detection regulations. I knew this going into the project, so i was very careful choosing the Kufatec harness. I bought it knowing I was going to have to re-pin the seat end of the harness.

I scored a set of identical NAR S cloth seats as my originals, but with the heaters, at a very generously low price, as these came off a GSW 4Mo S, whereas I've got the GSW FWD S. So pretty much a direct swap, no seat disassembly required. The only difference is that the previous seat owner had removed the seat harnesses. My seat harnesses lacked the extra wires for the heaters, so I sourced the correct harnesses with heating wires direct from VW (using a VIN from a 2018 GSW 4Mo I grabbed from an online car sales website :)). The pair cost about $130 shipped. Those worked perfectly, everything lined up, plugged in, and those seats are installed.

As for the Kufatec harness. I needed the wires with correct pins to connect between the BCM, fuse box and the two existing floor connectors where the seats plug in. Those wires are (of course) missing in my car. Kufatec helped me figure out which harness would work. Looking at the photos, I am certain the BCM end of the harness will be plug and play, but the other end has the connectors for the seat heaters that you described, and I already know they won't work. I am taking a gamble that the pins from those connectors can get re-pinned into the floor connectors. I have all the pin addresses mapped out already. If they don't fit, I will have to resort to plan B and splice the wires into the new seat harnesses I bought. Not ideal, but it'll still be 98% OEM.

Have you already sourced an HVAC controller module with seat heater buttons? Do you know if we need to add any wires between that and the gateway or BCM? I examined photos online of the pinouts of my current controller part # versus the one I sourced from eBay, and they have the same # of pins and in the same location. I hope the corresponding wires are already there.

The only thing I've found regarding an initialization sequence for manual climate control modules is this page from Ross Tech, but it's for the Mk6, and I don't know if it also applies to the Mk7:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Jetta_(AJ/16)_Manual_Heating/Air_Conditioning

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh so you're pretty well sorted then. I'm just going to install the Kufatec BCM harness (seat side) in the extra space in that bracket beside my factory seat harness. And then the kufatec seat harness from there to my ROW seat heaters.

I have sourced the control panel. I was planning to use the instructions on the second post in this thread...https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?16900-2015-Golf-MK7-TDI-Sportwagen-heated-seats-retrofit

I have a low (or mid) line BCM, verified it's missing the required pins. I had the dealer pull the part number for the replacement (high) BCM for my VIN. The problem is the three dealers closest to me are clueless about replacing it. I told them there should be a "guided module replacement" function in ODIS (or whatever they are using for computerized troubleshooting) but it's not ringing any bells for them.

The next dealer I called said they were "pretty sure" they could do it but quoted me 6 hours and said that that's just an estimate because they haven't done it before.

I'm going to ask Jack (in Poland) if he can do it. I've had him code things before but I know (from experience with my retrofitted MIB 2 non-nav > nav unit) virgin units can take a while. I know he can remove component protection but I'm not sure about the adaptation maps. My preference was/is to have a dealer do it so I don't have to go through the entire adaptation mapping manually (besides the changes that I would need to make for mods like these seats, LED tails, etc.).

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Oh so you're pretty well sorted then. I'm just going to install the Kufatec BCM harness (seat side) in the extra space in that bracket beside my factory seat harness. And then the kufatec seat harness from there to my ROW seat heaters.

I have sourced the control panel. I was planning to use the instructions on the second post in this thread...https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?16900-2015-Golf-MK7-TDI-Sportwagen-heated-seats-retrofit

I have a low (or mid) line BCM, verified it's missing the required pins. I had the dealer pull the part number for the replacement (high) BCM for my VIN. The problem is the three dealers closest to me are clueless about replacing it. I told them there should be a "guided module replacement" function in ODIS (or whatever they are using for computerized troubleshooting) but it's not ringing any bells for them.

The next dealer I called said they were "pretty sure" they could do it but quoted me 6 hours and said that that's just an estimate because they haven't done it before.

I'm going to ask Jack (in Poland) if he can do it. I've had him code things before but I know (from experience with my retrofitted MIB 2 non-nav > nav unit) virgin units can take a while. I know he can remove component protection but I'm not sure about the adaptation maps. My preference was/is to have a dealer do it so I don't have to go through the entire adaptation mapping manually (besides the changes that I would need to make for mods like these seats, LED tails, etc.).

Ok, I'm one step closer to making plan A work. Received the Kufatec harness today and everything is as expected, including the incorrect 10-pin seat connectors but the pins themselves are the correct pins to fit into my car's 17-pin seat connectors. I de-pinned the kufatec wires from the connectors, tossed the empty connectors, and will insert the pins into the car's connectors. I've got all the pins mapped out and tagged. Fingers crossed. Just need some time this weekend to get it installed.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nice. When I got under my seat after looking at the Kufatec harness I thought... I could just integrate the kufatec wiring. I'm an aircraft electrician by trade so this is literally what I do all day, haha. Then I looked under my imported seats and saw that the second kufatec harness would plug straight into those so I would have to take that harness apart too. Easier to just plug it in right beside my existing connector.

Did you even buy the kufatec harness that just goes from the floor connector to the heaters? Doesn't seem like you need it at all, but I don't know what the connectors look like on NAR spec heated seats.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Nice. When I got under my seat after looking at the Kufatec harness I thought... I could just integrate the kufatec wiring. I'm an aircraft electrician by trade so this is literally what I do all day, haha. Then I looked under my imported seats and saw that the second kufatec harness would plug straight into those so I would have to take that harness apart too. Easier to just plug it in right beside my existing connector.

Did you even buy the kufatec harness that just goes from the floor connector to the heaters? Doesn't seem like you need it at all, but I don't know what the connectors look like on NAR spec heated seats.

I didn't buy the additional harnesses that go to the heater elements since I bought the VW seat harnesses that do that already. With those in hand, I only needed the Kufatec main harness to terminate at the floor connectors below the seat. This maintains the original VW wiring layout for NAR, not that it really matters.

Also, how does the Kufatec harness (the one that goes to the heaters themselves) deal with the NAR occupancy sensor and the six-pin connector for it? I don't see how you're going to get the occupancy detector to plug into the Kufatec harness.

It sounds to me like you might do well with a set of OEM NAR seat harnesses with heating provisions. I'm going to PM you shortly...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I bought the passenger seat occupancy sensor/heating element that goes with my car. I put that whole element under the heater in the seats I imported. It will be connected to the harness and airbag controller that I took off of my passenger seat. I then temporarily installed my new seat in the car, plugged in, and verified that I have no airbag lights and the passenger occupancy sensor functions. (It was doing this that I discovered the rails between my imported seats and my stock seats are slightly different, so I will be switching them).

With this setup the heating element in my occupancy sensor won't be used. I will then have the Kufatec harness from the BCM ran to both seats as you would expect. And the Kufatec seat harness will be plugged directly to the heating elements in my new seats. The floor of my car will have 4 plugs; the big plug for the seat harness, the exact same plug but as part of the kufatec harness, the yellow airbag plug as normal, and the little two pin plug (appears to go to the seat belt buckle).

I was only looking for airbag warnings and lights when I temporarily installed my new seat. I'll have to scan for codes to see if the airbag controller cares about the seat back motor/switch. The seats in my car have it but the new seats have manual tilting. I put a multimeter on the seat back switch wires and the motor wires. I will resistor them out if that airbag controller throws codes with them disconnected.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Well, I successfully retrofitted heated seats into my GSW S! The actual retrofit wasn't difficult at all, but mapping out all the electrics, obtaining the correct harnesses, matching the required part #s, and re-pinning the connectors were the real challenges.

Everything works as it should! Me and the Mrs are psyched, it was the one option we really missed on this car but weren't willing to get a pano roof to have this feature.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nice man, I got my seats in over the weekend (largely to stop hearing complaints from people in my shop where they were stored). How difficult was it to get the harness over to the passenger side? Did you pull the center console/carpet? I REALLY don't want to but if it's necessary I'm gonna sound deaden the floor while I'm in there. I have all the materials for it (MLV, CCF, etc) as I still intend to do my doors.