GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well well, here we go:

VW Canada recalls 5,585 vehicles over brake issues!!

http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180607/CANADA/180609798/1128?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

"Gas bubbles forming in the fluid leading to a soft pedal"....that's either air entry/bad bleeding or fluid...or the fluid cooking due to excessive heat due to underpowered braking system...

In my case I cooked the front pads/discs & had total failure of the front discs...& no brakes after the third long decent after 1.5hrs of back country road driving....

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
okay Dave I'll delete this if it's too OT

I have the steel carriers and 15s. I know 312 rotors won't likely clear them.

For other reasons, I'm contemplating the following: use the GTI alum carriers with the 288 bracket, caliper and rotor that came with the car.

obviously I would need to go from 50mm to 55mm strut.

earlier post suggests GTI bearing splines should fit the axle cv.

so will the 288 bracket, caliper and rotor fit the GTI alum carrier?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
okay Dave I'll delete this if it's too OT

I have the steel carriers and 15s. I know 312 rotors won't likely clear them.

For other reasons, I'm contemplating the following: use the GTI alum carriers with the 288 bracket, caliper and rotor that came with the car.

obviously I would need to go from 50mm to 55mm strut.

earlier post suggests GTI bearing splines should fit the axle cv.

so will the 288 bracket, caliper and rotor fit the GTI alum carrier?

All plug & play..straight bolt one....just make certain you use the longer bolts (for the brake carrier bracket) from the GTI 312mm set as the alu hub carrier is thicker than your steel one...Bearing for alu is different from the steel hub carrier, but both fit the same drive shafts....so get alu hub carrier, alu type bearing, alu type longer bolts...everything else from your steel set up..& obviously 55mm struts.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thank you!

mach128x

Greetings from Canada.

I have been researching this 288mm to 312mm brake upgrade.
I currently drive a basic 2016 Golf 1.8 TSI.
Also have a 2018 GSW 4motion on order. This is the one I will be upgrading.

Both are listed with 288mm in the front.

I've looked at parts.vw.com, a VW of America website, results as follows :

Up to 2014-06-30 :
calipers: 8V0615123 / 8V0615124
caliper brackets a.k.a. carriers: 8V0615125 / 8V0615126

Fom 2014-07-01, using the VIN from my 2016 hatchback :
calipers: 5QM615123 / 5QM615124
caliper brackets a.k.a. carriers: 5QM615125 / 5QM615126

Now, it has been said that the 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 calipers have 55mm pistons.

But here's the weird thing : the calipers on my 2016 are marked as 57mm right on the casting !

I checked a VIN from a colleague who has a 4motion 2017 GSW with the dealership parts department and it seems it has the same 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 front calipers.

I am curious as to why autovelocity measured his calipers pistons at 55mm and whether they were marked as 55mm or 57mm.

Besides, based on autovelocity's experience with the 8V0615125 / 8V0615126 brackets-carriers... I wonder if the 312mm non-PP GTI caliper brackets-carriers (5QM615125B / 5QM615126B) would fit properly with the 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 calipers.

It's hard to tell... for these 5QM615125B / 5QM615126B brackets-carriers are almost the same numbers as the TSI's 5QM615125 / 5QM615126 except the GTI have "B" at the end and not the TSI. The "B" could indicate a different physical configuration, but it could also just indicate a different color (i.e. the red finish as found on the GTIs)?

Attachments

• IMG_0801a.jpg
    IMG_0801a.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Greetings from Canada.

Up to 2014-06-30 :
calipers: 8V0615123 / 8V0615124
caliper brackets a.k.a. carriers: 8V0615125 / 8V0615126

Fom 2014-07-01, using the VIN from my 2016 hatchback :
calipers: 5QM615123 / 5QM615124
caliper brackets a.k.a. carriers: 5QM615125 / 5QM615126

Now, it has been said that the 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 calipers have 55mm pistons.

But here's the weird thing : the calipers on my 2016 are marked as 57mm right on the casting !

I checked a VIN from a colleague who has a 4motion 2017 GSW with the dealership parts department and it seems it has the same 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 front calipers.

I am curious as to why autovelocity measured his calipers pistons at 55mm and whether they were marked as 55mm or 57mm.

Besides, based on autovelocity's experience with the 8V0615125 / 8V0615126 brackets-carriers... I wonder if the 312mm non-PP GTI caliper brackets-carriers (5QM615125B / 5QM615126B) would fit properly with the 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 calipers.

It's hard to tell... for these 5QM615125B / 5QM615126B brackets-carriers are almost the same numbers as the TSI's 5QM615125 / 5QM615126 except the GTI have "B" at the end and not the TSI. The "B" could indicate a different physical configuration, but it could also just indicate a different color (i.e. the red finish as found on the GTIs)?

Feck knows what going on there....:confused:

Basically TRW use the same mould outer main 288 & 312 callipers.......they then drill /bore out for the piston & then plate it silver or paint it grey, blue, red etc...

The carriers are the same left & right..only difference is the pins that are placed in them..as the top one is different to the bottom one,....& the 288mm has shorter legs..& the 312mm one has longer ones to clear the extra diameter...& again different colours are made....

Basically if the casting says 57...you have a 57mm piston...

Last edited:

mach128x

Well I re-read my last post and I was wrong when I said:
"The "B" could indicate a different physical configuration, but it could also just indicate a different color"

Of course it has to be a different physical configuration! This is to accommodate a larger rotor after all :p

The real question I should have asked is : would the pad end up at the exact same location on a 312mm rotor using the oem TSI / GSW caliper in lieu of the OEM non-PP GTI caliper, with the OEM non-PP GTI carrier-bracket.

On a side note.

I zoomed in on the picture that parts.VW.com have for the right-side caliper (5QM615124) and while the angle of the picture is pretty bad, it definitely looks like the number "57". It also has "6216/B" marked, like the one on my 2016 TSI, which makes sense with the "6215/B" marking on the left-hand side as shown in the picture I posted.

So it does look like 5QM615123 / 5QM615124 have 57mm pistons in NAR, after all.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The real question I should have asked is : would the pad end up at the exact same location on a 312mm rotor using the oem TSI / GSW caliper in lieu of the OEM non-PP GTI caliper, with the OEM non-PP GTI carrier-bracket.

the 57mm piston calliper & the 312mm carrier are designed to work together..no matter the colour etc...so the pad will be in the correct place...

thats the design starting point for all the 288 & 312mm systems originally ....

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I have installed a used set from GTI onto my Golf. Is there a difference between left and right caliper and carrier? One caliper has 6217A and the other 6218A engraved. Not sure which one belongs to which side if it even matters. I keep having this loud clunk like a caliper sticking when first start moving especially when the car sits overnight. Checked and greased pins to make sure they move freely. Also installed slotted Stoptech rotors with Centric posi-quiet ceramic pads. The squealing is crazy especially after rain.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have installed a used set from GTI onto my Golf. Is there a difference between left and right caliper and carrier? One caliper has 6217A and the other 6218A engraved. Not sure which one belongs to which side if it even matters. I keep having this loud clunk like a caliper sticking when first start moving especially when the car sits overnight. Checked and greased pins to make sure they move freely. Also installed slotted Stoptech rotors with Centric posi-quiet ceramic pads. The squealing is crazy especially after rain.

on any calliper the bleed screw needs to be pointing upwards...obviously if you flip it over & use on the other side of car it will point downwards...

The carriers have to be the correct way as the pins are different internally...& I can't remember which pin is top & which is bottom...

...you used slotted discs & ceramic pads.....:D...ATE recommended that I do not use their ceramic pads with their grooved discs as it causes squeal like made...so the same in your case...

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Pretty sure my bleed screws are facing upwards but I'll double check. If I remember correctly, sliding pins were identical when I cleaned and lubed them but I can take it apart to double check. So are you saying the carriers are indeed different besides the pins? Any idea how to tell them apart?

Makes sense about ceramic pads and slotted rotors. I just never heard anyone complaining about squealing as almost everyone who upgraded rotors in the US went with slotted Stoptech.

Elwood

3-7-77
The carriers have to be the correct way as the pins are different internally...& I can't remember which pin is top & which is bottom

When I bought my carriers, there was a significant price difference between left and right (OEM pricing). So I bought two rights (I believe) and just swapped the pins - top to bottom - on the left side.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
When I bought my carriers, there was a significant price difference between left and right (OEM pricing). So I bought two rights (I believe) and just swapped the pins - top to bottom - on the left side.
So are you saying pins are only different on the driver side and only bottom? And carriers are identical otherwise?

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
No. The carriers are identical. The only difference is pin location. Swap them top to bottom and bottom to top.
I'm so confused on this. If carriers are identical, what's the point of swapping top and bottom pins? I have a used set from GTI that came with everything needed. I just wanted to make sure they are not side specific. Also the parts diagram only shows one pin number #10 and doesn't differentiate whether its top or bottom.

Last edited: