GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Cobb OTS S.3 on GTI IS20?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Thinking about removing JB4, and running the Cobb OTS stage 3 for a few months while I wait on my big turbo and protune....anyone any experience with it?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
It's pretty underwhelming, no top end at all, but very safe (I never saw any correction on any cylinder). It is a bit laggy and the boost peaks early, then disappears. I kept it for a month or so, but I'm getting a custom tune now. Even the base file was a night and day difference from the Cobb OTS. Maybe order from MAP and use their included stage 2 file while you wait?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
It's pretty underwhelming, no top end at all, but very safe (I never saw any correction on any cylinder). It is a bit laggy and the boost peaks early, then disappears. I kept it for a month or so, but I'm getting a custom tune now. Even the base file was a night and day difference from the Cobb OTS. Maybe order from MAP and use their included stage 2 file while you wait?

Their stage 2 better than the OTS stage 3?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Their stage 2 better than the OTS stage 3?

Supposedly, but I haven't run it. It's set up to run with a DP and intake, not necessarily an IC, but having one should make it run cleaner. They claim much higher output than the Cobb ots stg3. Maybe someone using the MAP tune can chime in?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Another thought would be to buy your AP from Stratified, get a custom tune bundled with it and enjoy the hell out of your current set up until (and if) you decide to go big turbo. It'll cost you about $200 more in the long run, but you'll be much happier. I was almost certain I'd be going IS38 or bigger at some point, but now I'm very happy with my IS20 with a proper tune.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
OTS S3 is a snooze fest. Massive TQ hit gives you blue balls, because it's over after that little teaser.

Might as well drive a diesel.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Another thought would be to buy your AP from Stratified, get a custom tune bundled with it and enjoy the hell out of your current set up until (and if) you decide to go big turbo. It'll cost you about $200 more in the long run, but you'll be much happier. I was almost certain I'd be going IS38 or bigger at some point, but now I'm very happy with my IS20 with a proper tune.

How long did it take to get map dialed in? Were they good to work with?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

I'm still in process with them, but so far very happy. There's already a really good thread that will probably cover most of your questions (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38527) but typically they get me a revision within 2-4 business days of submitting my logs. The biggest variable is when I can find time with good weather and low traffic to actually go take logs. I think I'm 4 revisions in and getting pretty close to done; just had a big delay because I was out of the country for over 2 weeks.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!

I tried ots 3, it killed my clutch. I’m protuned by stratified too. Does your car have a tow hook front plate mount? I have similar mods, my protune is finished, the car runs strong.

Last edited:

Joel

Ready to race!
Go s2 s3 is weird... Stratified has been great to work with. If anything I have been slacking on getting them logs. With my latest revision, car is stronger and more fun than my JB4 map 6.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Go s2 s3 is weird... Stratified has been great to work with. If anything I have been slacking on getting them logs. With my latest revision, car is stronger and more fun than my JB4 map 6.

Yea I'm just wondering if it's worth it since I am planning going EQT and protune in a few months

Joel

Ready to race!
If you have the COBB run the S2 file.
It is safe, underwhelming, but safe.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
If you have the COBB run the S2 file.
It is safe, underwhelming, but safe.

Pretty sure my JB4 on map 6 is better than s Cobb OTS S2 file