GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Friday afternoon commute:
Noticed the car pulling right. 2 minutes (total 25-minute commute) away from home, the MFD warning of low tire pressure in the front passenger tire dinged. Got home and saw a nail by the sidewall. Oh hey, unrepairable.

Saturday morning:
Went to Costco to get 225/40-18 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ installed. Thankfully Michelin still has $70 off when buying 4 tires.

I was gonna wait another year to replace the OEM Bridgestones when my car would have ~27k miles before I swap out to these new ones. I guess I'm a bit happy that I don't have to wait much longer for the upgrade. Not much tire chirping on the way home, which couldn't be said with the OEM tires.

Edit: forgot to mention that the tires felt ridiculously hard on the drive home from Costco. Checked tire pressure this morning while it's still cold, and the fronts were set to 42psi and the rears were set to 40psi! The heck? Dropped it down to spec.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That's not abnormal for tire shops (at least the couple I've dealt with around be) for them to just fill to 40.

Rather than check what the car needs they just fill it up to whatever and send them on their way. Helps move people out quicker and I would guess 60% of people would never check.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
The OEM+ mission continues with an Active Info Display retrofit!

Sourced the cluster and new bezel from a dealer in Texas, and got the fiberoptic splitter (orange cable in pic below) from Ebay Germany. Installation was tedious with a lot of trim pieces and infotainment items having to be removed, but I was familiar enough with these steps from my MIB2 retro from last year.

The fun part was bringing the car to my dealer so they could activate and remove component protection on the new cluster. Managed to get it all done though, and all functions work after some additional coding via VCDS. I've managed to change the appearance to the Golf R style (I believe), but cannot seem to get the red GTI theme to appear. Not entirely sure if this is due to my "hacked" MIB2 head unit or not, but hoping I can find a definitive answer soon.

Here is the info that I used to complete this retrofit: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...t-Guide-for-Golf-Alltrack&p=136017#post136017

Though I should note that the VCDS coding for the fuel tank on my car was different. Had to reference the coding on another 2015 GTI at the dealer and transplant that info.

On to the pics!

IMG_0041 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0048 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

55933173477__36CD2C8F-7BAA-406B-A135-8AF0B78549D1 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

55933909048__36BA432B-3A85-4B01-8326-6DBD07FD22A8 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0078 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0130 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0126 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0138 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

Crackness1

Ready to race!
The OEM+ mission continues with an Active Info Display retrofit!...

Holy crap - Very nice! I'll have to come out to a meet to see this thing in person. For poops and giggles, what's the ballpark of total cost for someone with mib2 already?

No pictures here (cuz it's been shown a million and a half times) but I just got a new-to-me downpipe (MAP GESI Catted/resonated), and BFI stage 1 insert installed last night... and I'm loving the heck out of them both so far :D:D.

I'll do a sound clip vid eventually in case anyone is still into those.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Holy crap - Very nice! I'll have to come out to a meet to see this thing in person. For poops and giggles, what's the ballpark of total cost for someone with mib2 already?

MIB2 is required for this to work (I did my MIB2 retro a while back).

The cluster itself was about $800. The trim/bezel was about $60. Fiberoptic splitter/harness was $40. So $900 in parts, and then about 2 hours of labor at a dealer to activate it and remove component protection, program keys, do all adaptations, etc. My total cost was just under $1200.

Adam, did your car come with factory Navigation? How does CarPlay/Android Auto navigation work with the display?

My car is an Autobahn, so yes - factory nav. My MIB2 retro also has nav, so I was able to configure the cluster to accept the nav feed from the head unit. You can also do this retrofit in non-nav cars, but you'll only see a compass in the navigation screen instead of maps. You also wouldn't need to run the fiberoptic splitter in that case.

CarPlay does not display on the instrument cluster (same as Audi virtual cockpit as well).

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
MIB2 is required for this to work (I did my MIB2 retro a while back).

The cluster itself was about $800. The trim/bezel was about $60. Fiberoptic splitter/harness was $40. So $900 in parts, and then about 2 hours of labor at a dealer to activate it and remove component protection, program keys, do all adaptations, etc. My total cost was just under $1200.

My car is an Autobahn, so yes - factory nav. My MIB2 retro also has nav, so I was able to configure the cluster to accept the nav feed from the head unit. You can also do this retrofit in non-nav cars, but you'll only see a compass in the navigation screen instead of maps. You also wouldn't need to run the fiberoptic splitter in that case.

CarPlay does not display on the instrument cluster (same as Audi virtual cockpit as well).

So how much was your MIB2 retrofit?

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
That's not abnormal for tire shops (at least the couple I've dealt with around be) for them to just fill to 40.

Rather than check what the car needs they just fill it up to whatever and send them on their way. Helps move people out quicker and I would guess 60% of people would never check.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This post made me take a spin past discount tire where I just had tires put on.

Tires were not stone cold, could feel a little warmth when touching them.

Tires as low as 29 and as high as 32. Good job guys!

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So how much was your MIB2 retrofit?

Back when I did mine, there weren't many options out there. I worked with APG in Poland. Total cost was about $2300.

These days, you can do an MIB2 swap for about $1300 or so (via EuroZone Tuning).

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Took the R out to Autocross on some loaner wheels and RE71's. New car, and I had to try it out. I'm still undecided if I want to regularly race the car (I typically run a '17 BRZ in CS and we just acquired a '99 Miata for my kid to run also.)

There's certainly more potential in the car than I was able to get out of it in it's first outing, but more seat time, my own tires/rims, and some additional BS-allowable refinements would be needed to get the most out of it. I had fun testing out the car, but will probably keep running the BRZ.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
The OEM+ mission continues with an Active Info Display retrofit!

Sourced the cluster and new bezel from a dealer in Texas, and got the fiberoptic splitter (orange cable in pic below) from Ebay Germany. Installation was tedious with a lot of trim pieces and infotainment items having to be removed, but I was familiar enough with these steps from my MIB2 retro from last year.

The fun part was bringing the car to my dealer so they could activate and remove component protection on the new cluster. Managed to get it all done though, and all functions work after some additional coding via VCDS. I've managed to change the appearance to the Golf R style (I believe), but cannot seem to get the red GTI theme to appear. Not entirely sure if this is due to my "hacked" MIB2 head unit or not, but hoping I can find a definitive answer soon.

Here is the info that I used to complete this retrofit: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...t-Guide-for-Golf-Alltrack&p=136017#post136017

Though I should note that the VCDS coding for the fuel tank on my car was different. Had to reference the coding on another 2015 GTI at the dealer and transplant that info.

On to the pics!

, on Flickr
Nice retrofit! I'm currently making a matrix of all combinations of Tube Version, Vehicle variant and Display depiction codings. The combination of these three determine the background, the color and the theme of the AID.

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Nice retrofit! I'm currently making a matrix of all combinations of Tube Version, Vehicle variant and Display depiction codings. The combination of these three determine the background, the color and the theme of the AID.

Please share!! I'm dying to get mine to the red theme. Also need to get it to be a 4 door GTI (currently shows as a 2 door Golf).

I've played with the display depiction and tube variants, but where is the vehicle variant option in VCDS? Adpatations?

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Vehicle Variant is in long coding. In total, there are 1024 combinations. Obd11 has an "app" for setting the theme to red and 4 doors. I'll share the sheet as soon as I tested more variations.

Oh wow, that definitely explains it then. Module 17 (instruments)? What bit/byte should I be looking for?

I know someone who's done this retrofit and already had the red/4 door set by default. If I know what bit and byte to look for, I can compare notes with him and code mine like his.

Let me know if I can help in any way! Very excited to figure out this last piece of the puzzle.