GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration with New Wheels/Tires

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'll be trying a new set of rings. Now if only I had known these Firehawk Indy 500s would destroy my fuel economy...25 mpg last tank when usually I'm 30+

MadMen

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'll be trying a new set of rings. Now if only I had known these Firehawk Indy 500s would destroy my fuel economy...25 mpg last tank when usually I'm 30+

Yep, gas mileage will suffer with summer tires :) although I suspect some of that is due to you also pushing the tires a bit harder now.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Hello all, I just purchased a set of new Konig Ampliform bronze wheels (Konig part # AM88512438) from BBWheels, had them mounted and balanced (twice by Costco) on new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires (purchased from TireRack), and I have a vibration when driving. It can be felt in both the steering wheel and the seat. This vibration was nonexistent with the OEM Nogaros and Hankooks. I can feel the vibration at speeds over 40, but by the time I'm driving 70 it is quite noticeable. I'm using the ECS hub centric rings 66.56mm > 57.1mm as well. Costco was unable to fix the vibration after two visits, and I'm just not sure where to go from here. I called BBWheels, the vendor I bought the wheels from, and they were unable to help. They said "oh, the tires must be bad" and anything else they could think of to take the blame off of themselves.

Does anyone have any advice of what to do next? Thanks in advance!
If it ends up not being the rings - Find a shop with a Road Force balancing setup who knows what they are doing. I had Costco mount new Pilot Sport AS3+ on brand new Neuspeed wheels - ended up with a strange vibration at speed. After having them double check balance, then a shop I thought that knew how to balance - ultimately ended up at the dealership who Road Force balanced everything and correctly determined one of the tires was bad.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Ever put anti-seize on it? The stuff they use on spark plugs would probably work.
It's worked for me over the last several years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
If it ends up not being the rings - Find a shop with a Road Force balancing setup who knows what they are doing. I had Costco mount new Pilot Sport AS3+ on brand new Neuspeed wheels - ended up with a strange vibration at speed. After having them double check balance, then a shop I thought that knew how to balance - ultimately ended up at the dealership who Road Force balanced everything and correctly determined one of the tires was bad.
I've been having Hunter Road Force balance done for many years and it is ALWAYS THE BEST WAY TO GO, in my experience over several decades.
-Rod

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Yep, gas mileage will suffer with summer tires :) although I suspect some of that is due to you also pushing the tires a bit harder now.

Haha I'm going to go "easy" this tank and see if I'm still suffering. Usually on my way into work I get around 35-36 mpg, but this morning I only got 30.5. Seems consistent with what I saw the entire last tank. Fuel economy down 15% or so.