GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut Mount replacement

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
x1000 on above.

thats how i f'ed up my rear sway bar end link... hold using triple, turn using wrench

I blame DAP's install video for most mk7 owners suspension noise issues. NEVER EVER NEVER EEEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRR use air tools on your struts. Spinning the mount bearing and or strut shaft at 20,000 RPM when it's designed to spin 5 RPM is a sure way to cause blown struts and smoked bearings...not to mention ending up with mystery torque

It's really not a big deal to torque them properly. Spark plug socket, Allen key, and a wrench (crows foot on your torque wrench to set final tq)
THIS EXACTLY !!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Not saying it's right, but DAP isn't the only one. The Emmanuel Design video shows the guy using air too. Makes you wonder how many shops do it that way. I'm guessing a lot.

It's a good point though. I will update the reference guide I cobbled together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
well just for completeness on this air tool topic...there are no absolutes.

never ever ever FAIL to use air tools on metal bearing camber plates according to some manufacturers such as vorshlag....and they know.

https://youtu.be/2bab6x47CSs

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
well just for completeness on this air tool topic...there are no absolutes.

never ever ever FAIL to use air tools on metal bearing camber plates according to some manufacturers such as vorshlag....and they know.

https://youtu.be/2bab6x47CSs

^wow.

Wow what an a$$hole "there's an Allen key there so you can't hold the shaft"

Completely wrong. Again...the Allen is there to hold the shaft so it CAN NOT TURN. Then you can use a spark plug socket and wrench to spin the nut...then even bigger mystery solved PUT A TORQUE WRENCH with a crows foot on that same spark plug socket and torque the nut EXACTLY to Volkswagens spec! Just like they do in the factory, AMAZING lol

What technology! For those wondering VW and aftermarket tools are available instead of using a spark plug socket, but literally every cheap tool set includes one

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
These too

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Completely wrong. Again...the Allen is there to hold the shaft so it CAN NOT TURN. Then you can use a spark plug socket and wrench to spin the nut...then even bigger mystery solved PUT A TORQUE WRENCH with a crows foot on that same spark plug socket and torque the nut EXACTLY to Volkswagens spec! Just like they do in the factory, AMAZING lol

What technology! For those wondering VW and aftermarket tools are available instead of using a spark plug socket, but literally every cheap tool set includes one

Wow I need that

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

he didn't say you were doing it wrong. He was talking about his product and what is the proper way to install them. Not sure why someone would object to following that advice.

my point in posting is emphasize that there exceptions to the rule.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
he didn't say you were doing it wrong. He was talking about his product and what is the proper way to install them. Not sure why someone would object to following that advice.

my point in posting is emphasize that there exceptions to the rule.

No no no I wasn't aiming that at anyone here. The dude from Vogland is straight up wrong/an idiot

VW and all suspension manufacturers don't machine that Allen key in there for shits n giggles. An impact may not hurt their special bearing but it sure as shit isn't more accurate than holding the shaft properly and putting a torque wrench on it

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
No no no I wasn't aiming that at anyone here. The dude from Vogland is straight up wrong/an idiot

VW and all suspension manufacturers don't machine that Allen key in there for shits n giggles. An impact may not hurt their special bearing but it sure as shit isn't more accurate than holding the shaft properly and putting a torque wrench on it
Well, the guy from Vorshlag (not vogland) is a principal and their camber plate reputation is stellar across many applications. Not many have them here and they've only been available for the mk7 for a few months. They're pretty much the gold standard of plates.

What would his motivation be to advise people to do things "incorrectly"? He knows it can be done with an allen wrench but suggests you're more likely to have noise with his plates if you do so.

In your case, working with mounts with poly or rubber bushings, there could be some deflection if not torqued properly. Maybe for that, an impact is not precise enough for an occasional installer. Vorshlags are all metal.

It seems to me too, that regardless of what is absolute best practice, many many installs occur with an impact gun. I don't think it's inconceivable that a pro could use one effectively with a low error rate.

Last edited: