Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately, GTI only. Won't work on Golf without some major surgery

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Spectacular product, expen$ive, gross overkill unless you track the car regularly or race competitively. Silly on a street car IMHO, unless you just like being able to brag that you have them.

I wouldn't say silly at all, since they ride better than virtually any other
coilover kit. They're perfect just on street even if you never hit a track.
Springs rates are mild and they still use factory mounts. Even though I
have DCC on both GTIs I gladly admit Öhlins do ride at least as smooth
if not better.
Öhlins Road & Track are by far the best coilovers produced in significant
numbers and currently available for the Mk7, period. :p

However, not another Öhlins discussion please. Everything has been said,
asked and answered. If there's still a question, why not revive one of the
existing threads? Four examples of plenty:

***OHILINS installed***

Ohlins R&T

TT Swivels & Onlins Coilovers Installed

MK7 "must have" suspension mods for stellar handling?

There's more actually. Some moderator should ideally link these. ;)

Unfortunately, GTI only. Won't work on Golf without some major surgery
Will work with just the corresponding 55 mm swivels. I'd suggest CSS ones.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Some serious money, I'm sure they're amazing tho.

Plus they need serviced every 25-50k depending on how much track use they get

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
Ohlins R+T plus other goodies

My big suspension project was just completed and I wanted to share some impressions for anyone interested or contemplating doing some work on their Mk 7 GTI.

The installation, corner balancing, alignment, and settings was done by Joey Seely at Emotion Engineering (http://emotionengineering.co/about/) in Costa Mesa, CA. His main business is making street Porsches handle even better, and he also does suspension race prep for a number of customer IMSA and ALMS team. I was referred by a good friend who is the Cal rep for Falken Tire because among Joey’s cars is a Golf TDI that’s his DD. He’s the Suspension Whisperer.

Before meeting Joey I had ordered Ohlins R+T coilovers. He said he has a slight preference for KW, but mine were already en route. At his suggestion I also procured Ground Control adjustable top mounts for the front, and adjustable sway bar end links by White Line at both ends. All of this stuff is so beautiful and of such high quality. It must be how women feel about jewelry.

The settings he used are 2.4 degrees of front camber, 2.0 degrees rear camber, and 1.5 degrees of toe. I’m sure I will wear out tires at an accelerated rate and will have to rotate them frequently.

The difference is a profound improvement in handling. Even at low speeds and just driving around town, the GTI feels more like a race car. When pushing on, turn in is instant and very sharp. There is zero understeer. I mean absolutely zero. The rear is also very stable. It’s all so linear feeling. The car feels like someone cut 500 pounds off the curb weight. The handling is very, very lively. Steering feel (which is to me the thing really lacking in the stock trim, along with the numb, shitty clutch) is high and precise. I can push so much harder now because all of this adds up to a package that inspires so much confidence. Also, the car doesn’t feel twitchy or nervous at high speeds in a straight line.

I expected the ride to be compromised, along with an increase in road noise. I was warned away from the front shock mounts on the grounds that they would introduce unwanted NVH. The pleasant and unexpected consequence of everything is that my car actually rides better than before (I was on VWR springs and stock shocks). It’s all quieter and tidier when just going about the day to day business of getting around. This is like the Holy Grail!

The one minus is that hitting sharp bumps at highway speeds definitely results in a more dramatic thud. You feel it, and it’s pretty loud.

So all in all I’m absolutely delighted with the end result. It was a really expensive project, but the results are an epic improvement in driving joy. I wish I’d done it all when the car was brand new and not wasted the time and money on just slapping springs onto the car.

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
From my experience, those scoffing at the price of *GOOD* dampers underestimate how much of an effect on ride and performance they have on the car. The stock dampers on the GTI (and R???) most likely have a more aggressive compression curve than would otherwise be optimal in what's probably an effort to get away with low spring rates (lots of compression slows down the speed of the shaft which will in turn reduce likelihood of fully compressing and whacking the bump stops).

The AST4100s I put on my old A4 Quattro autocross (SCCA Solo II) car completely transformed the car. Not only was it a different animal with direction changes but also the ride was much better than my previous setup despite running way more spring rate. Previous setup to that was just Vogtland lowering springs with Bilstein "sport" dampers

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
From my experience, those scoffing at the price of *GOOD* dampers underestimate how much of an effect on ride and performance they have on the car. The stock dampers on the GTI (and R???) most likely have a more aggressive compression curve than would otherwise be optimal in what's probably an effort to get away with low spring rates (lots of compression slows down the speed of the shaft which will in turn reduce likelihood of fully compressing and whacking the bump stops).

The AST4100s I put on my old A4 Quattro autocross (SCCA Solo II) car completely transformed the car. Not only was it a different animal with direction changes but also the ride was much better than my previous setup despite running way more spring rate. Previous setup to that was just Vogtland lowering springs with Bilstein "sport" dampers

Scoffing at the price of $3K coils? You can get coils for 1K that are 75-85% as good as the ohlins, for 66% less money. C'mon man.

greens

Ready to race!
You can get coils for 1K that are 75-85% as good as the ohlins, for 66% less money.

Not trying to bicker here but I'm genuinely curious what info qualifies this statement.

A) What coilovers specifically are you referring to?

B) Where is the data that shows they are 75-85% as good as the Ohlins?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Scoffing at the price of $3K coils? You can get coils for 1K that are 75-85% as good as the ohlins, for 66% less money. C'mon man.

You can also buy a $4k exhaust for the car. $3k for something that actually helps really isn't a lot at that point.