GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I made a big mess because I tried it first without draining my coolant from the bottom of the radiator.:D:D:D
Got some of that sticky icky all over the subframe? At this point, I think it is just a right of passage [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I made a big mess because I tried it first without draining my coolant from the bottom of the radiator.:D:D:D

I planned on draining from there, but man that seems messy all on it's own.

I ended up using my vacuum extractor to pull out everything in the overflow tank plus some more through the hardline tubing.

I believe once I got the coolant lines disconnected on the turbo, I only lost a couple cups worth.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I'll try and get the bolt size today. Just had them laying around.

Didn't get a new connector, just used alligator clips small enough to grab the pins in the actuator and not touch each other. Really straight forward.

I bought this, not positive it's correct. Of course, the only one that would be used is the black connector and pins. ECS sells it, but it was $32 IIRC there. Ebay was about $12 USD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-VW-Sk...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Probably easier just to use tiny alligator clips if you have them. If not, I bet lowes or HD sell them for a couple bucks.

I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM7GPQN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Small wires with small clips, just handy all around for more than just the turbo. Can't beat it for $9

thanks much fella's!!

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Well got it in, 90% done.
My wife had to work today last minute and didn't let me know until last night.

So, I got 5 hours of work today before she left. needed about an hour more.

The piping, old and new is a pita to get out and in. Once in it fits fine though!
Got hoses to put on and then the IE intake again, plus refill coolant.

Checked the actuator and it measured 3.57v, inline with the recommended 3.5-3.6v so I left it. Adaptation ran fine with OBD11 and I've flashed the basemap.

May end up just saying screw it and finish it up at 1am tonight.

le sigh, why am i married?

Nice work!!!!! you're fast. did you follow a specific DIY that you could link to? any tips/hints/things you learned would help out the rest of us. you tackled everything from the top-side right? no need to raise the car? or can you get to anything from the bottom side.. also the DP only has to be loosened at the V-band and moved a bit to the side i imagine? good luck with everything. you'll have a beast soon!!

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Nice work!!!!! you're fast. did you follow a specific DIY that you could link to? any tips/hints/things you learned would help out the rest of us. you tackled everything from the top-side right? no need to raise the car? or can you get to anything from the bottom side.. also the DP only has to be loosened at the V-band and moved a bit to the side i imagine? good luck with everything. you'll have a beast soon!!
You gotta raise the car, makes life much easier to get to some things, I have a copy of a factory shop manual if you want it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Just follow this:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29396

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I only had to get under the car to install the eqt pipe kit. All turbo work was top size.
That said, everything is in and driving. It's rainy in Portland right now(ya don't say) so anything about 4k rpm will start spinning.

No leaks, no check engine lights, about the only mishap with the install was the 'I' on my front GTI badge went missing... no idea. I took the whole thing off until I can get a replacement lol

I had been slightly worried as it kept smelling like coolant as the car warmed up, but I'm assuming it's just burning off the downpipe where it spilled.
Drove a few miles to get it up to temp and filled the overflow again.

To sum up my install: the charge pipe kit was the hardest part for me.

6 hour total install time
1 extra of testing and coolant filling

This was in my garage with a jack and jack stands. I do have some years of experience on cars, but anyone that is confident in their abilities should be able to tackle this in 6-8 hours.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I love seeing these turbos getting installed an put to use! Enjoy guys! :D

-- Ed

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I only had to get under the car to install the eqt pipe kit. All turbo work was top size.
That said, everything is in and driving. It's rainy in Portland right now(ya don't say) so anything about 4k rpm will start spinning.

No leaks, no check engine lights, about the only mishap with the install was the 'I' on my front GTI badge went missing... no idea. I took the whole thing off until I can get a replacement lol

I had been slightly worried as it kept smelling like coolant as the car warmed up, but I'm assuming it's just burning off the downpipe where it spilled.
Drove a few miles to get it up to temp and filled the overflow again.

To sum up my install: the charge pipe kit was the hardest part for me.

6 hour total install time
1 extra of testing and coolant filling

This was in my garage with a jack and jack stands. I do have some years of experience on cars, but anyone that is confident in their abilities should be able to tackle this in 6-8 hours.

I did mine two nights ago. I concur 6-8 with a buddy is about spot on. Couple tips to everyone:

Take mounting bracket completely off (mine was seized on from factory ugh)

Disc. oil return from the BLOCK, wait till off to do the one on the turbo.

Leave studs in.

Very important:

Slightly overfill oil into turbo. Wait 15-20 minutes for it to seep through. Unplug injector harness and crank 2-3 sets of 6 cranks at the end after wastegate adaptation.

Coolant will burp while idling, squeeze main coolant hose to help air get out. It takes awhile to bleed. Drive a little bit with heat on. Come back and do it again. When that hose starts to get hot to the touch you're about there.

Make sure to replace all gaskets and seals. Its about as hard as a direct fit intercooler install that requires cutting/trimming (cough, cts, cough). Aint bad atall though.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Yeah, my IE intercooler took about as long to install.

Another tip for people putting the charge pipes in, removing the battery would be helpful. Getting the silicon hose on (between the turbo and the new metal charge pipe) was VERY tight with the battery in the car. Even now with it installed, it's really tight and would probably be a good idea to relocate the little box that's attached to the battery tray.

I followed this guide:
Printable guide (Written by V I G I L): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Includes many useful additions and commentary, and conveniently includes all of the necisary extra documentation exactly when it is needed. Super convenient!

From this thread:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29396

EDIT: Also, it it just me or when leaving a break between lines, it's adding 4 empty lines instead of 1?

railroader

Autocross Newbie

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, my IE intercooler took about as long to install.

Another tip for people putting the charge pipes in, removing the battery would be helpful. Getting the silicon hose on (between the turbo and the new metal charge pipe) was VERY tight with the battery in the car. Even now with it installed, it's really tight and would probably be a good idea to relocate the little box that's attached to the battery tray.

I moved my box towards the front of the battery tray. Drilled a hole in the batter tray and used a tie strap.

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Quick question: I see that the turbo muffler is not attached in the pictures posted. Does it come with the screws needed to mount it to the turbo? If not I'll have to grab some so I don't have to use the ones on my IS38; I would like to sell it as a complete unit once i get the EQT.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Cool. Yeah, That's where mine is currently too, just haven't decided on a mounting method yet.