GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At my wit's end with windshield wipers

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I have tried everything I can to fix the stutter on my wipers and nothing seems to solve it. I initially thought it was just chemicals so I wiped it clean with alcohol, used Stoners Glass cleaner, and it didn't improve. I followed up with waxing the windshield after my first wash, which didn't improve. Tried RainX, nothing. Tried new blades, and nothing.

I've taken it to the dealership twice, once they gave me new blades, and it didn't improve. I took it again and they gave me a bottle of their glass cleaner (which honestly was great) but it didn't seem to improve it either. I finally switched wiper fluid, and put back my Bosch blades, and that seemed to make it stop stuttering when I am using the fluid (still does not stutter when using the fluid), but if it is raining heavily, it will start stuttering extremely bad.

I do not think its mechanical issue with the wiper motor because it works fine with the fluid. Anyone can recommend any product or solution? Or should I try the dealership again?

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
I formerly used liquid glass on my windshield (until they went belly-up). The same product is now available under the label Finish First. It’s designed for the paint, but it does what Rain-X claims to do, but it does it way-way better. The rain just beads off. It also lasts MUCH longer.

Anyway, I had a similar problem to yours on a previous vehicle, and the liquid glass (again, now known as Finish First) fixed the problem. I suspect other products would also work (I’m guessing you’d want to stay away from waxes).

It will leave the glass very smooth and very hydrophobic.

Cjburn

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if the springs inside wiper arms are either too weak or too strong. I can see if they are loose then it doesnt create enough pressure the arms jump when used, or if they are too strong it pulls down too hard causing the wipers to stick and jump. I have no idea if either is possible, just throwing it out there.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I formerly used liquid glass on my windshield (until they went belly-up). The same product is now available under the label Finish First. It’s designed for the paint, but it does what Rain-X claims to do, but it does it way-way better. The rain just beads off. It also lasts MUCH longer.

Anyway, I had a similar problem to yours on a previous vehicle, and the liquid glass (again, now known as Finish First) fixed the problem. I suspect other products would also work (I’m guessing you’d want to stay away from waxes).

It will leave the glass very smooth and very hydrophobic.

I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I wonder if the springs inside wiper arms are either too weak or too strong. I can see if they are loose then it doesnt create enough pressure the arms jump when used, or if they are too strong it pulls down too hard causing the wipers to stick and jump. I have no idea if either is possible, just throwing it out there.

I didn't even think of that. That's a very good theory. I might take it to the dealership to have them look into that specifically.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
is the windshield surface rough to the touch?

It is not. When the glass is dried and in the garage, if I feel it with my hands, it is smooth. After it rained badly yesterday, when I got back to the garage, even my hands felt a bit of resistance on the window. It is not roughness, but a resistance (unlike the feel of freshly waxed paint thats super smooth).

I had the same problem.

It's waxy build up/Rain-x.

You need to mechanically polish the windshield glass with a glass pad and polish, preferably via a machine.

https://www.autogeek.net/dia-glasswork-restorer.html

Absolutely a possibility. I tried to use magic eraser to clean the glass a while back (after doing the attempt with RainX and the wax), and it is possible that it made worse. I thought magic eraser did not have any chemicals in it but someone told me it does. I have been contemplating buying a Griot's Garage DA so I think now is the time. I have no idea how to use it, would you recommend any pads/polish to use with it?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
My backglass did this until I polished it. I used Sonax Profiline Perfect finish(yes a paint polish) and it cured the ills. Just needs a good polish. As for wipers you won't find anything better then OE, others just do it worse.

For upkeep I use a FINE grade Nanoskin clay pad on all of my glass a couple times a year.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
It is not. When the glass is dried and in the garage, if I feel it with my hands, it is smooth. After it rained badly yesterday, when I got back to the garage, even my hands felt a bit of resistance on the window. It is not roughness, but a resistance (unlike the feel of freshly waxed paint thats super smooth).

Absolutely a possibility. I tried to use magic eraser to clean the glass a while back (after doing the attempt with RainX and the wax), and it is possible that it made worse. I thought magic eraser did not have any chemicals in it but someone told me it does. I have been contemplating buying a Griot's Garage DA so I think now is the time. I have no idea how to use it, would you recommend any pads/polish to use with it?

Magic eraser isn't much else other than very fine sandpaper. I wouldn't use it.

I'd suggest getting a Porter Cable DA, lake country glass pads, and that Wolfgang glass polish.

I've used it 2-3 times now over the years, and my wipers move quietly and smoothly.

That said, you can also try a cheaper solution and use Bon Ami 1886 to polish the glass.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Polishing the windshield will take care of it. I have had good luck using Duragloss Nu Glass. It is cheap. Regular paint polish will work in a pinch. If you don't want to polish it, at least take a clay bar to it.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
My backglass did this until I polished it. I used Sonax Profiline Perfect finish(yes a paint polish) and it cured the ills. Just needs a good polish. As for wipers you won't find anything better then OE, others just do it worse.

For upkeep I use a FINE grade Nanoskin clay pad on all of my glass a couple times a year.

I will look into the Sonax polish, thanks!!

Magic eraser isn't much else other than very fine sandpaper. I wouldn't use it.

I'd suggest getting a Porter Cable DA, lake country glass pads, and that Wolfgang glass polish.

I've used it 2-3 times now over the years, and my wipers move quietly and smoothly.

That said, you can also try a cheaper solution and use Bon Ami 1886 to polish the glass.

Thank you for that. Since I am purchasing the Griot's Garage polisher, I can pick up their glass polishing pads as well.

Polishing the windshield will take care of it. I have had good luck using Duragloss Nu Glass. It is cheap. Regular paint polish will work in a pinch. If you don't want to polish it, at least take a clay bar to it.

Any reason you picked the Duragloss over other brands? Thanks!

ogrisker

Ready to race!
I have tried everything I can to fix the stutter on my wipers and nothing seems to solve it. I initially thought it was just chemicals so I wiped it clean with alcohol, used Stoners Glass cleaner, and it didn't improve. I followed up with waxing the windshield after my first wash, which didn't improve. Tried RainX, nothing. Tried new blades, and nothing.

I've taken it to the dealership twice, once they gave me new blades, and it didn't improve. I took it again and they gave me a bottle of their glass cleaner (which honestly was great) but it didn't seem to improve it either. I finally switched wiper fluid, and put back my Bosch blades, and that seemed to make it stop stuttering when I am using the fluid (still does not stutter when using the fluid), but if it is raining heavily, it will start stuttering extremely bad.

I do not think its mechanical issue with the wiper motor because it works fine with the fluid. Anyone can recommend any product or solution? Or should I try the dealership again?

Have you tried a coat of Rain-X? worked for me. Same issue

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
What brand new blades did you use?