GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shimmy/Bucking on light throttle at 70+ MPH (2015 GTI 6MT)

CH2015GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, I have a 2015 GTI MkVII with a manual transmission and I am having an issue that is really starting to bother me. I have experienced this shaking in the steering, gas pedal, floor when I apply very light throttle. It almost feels like the car doesn't know if it should start engine braking or accelerating. When letting up on the throttle while going downhill at higher speeds, it is extremely noticeable. I have taken my car to the VW dealership locally three times now. The first time was to replace my headlamp switch that was the incorrect part for my trim level (it didn't have auto function like it should have), the second time for this issue I am mentioning now along with brake squealing at slow speeds and rattles in the hatch plastic, and third time for first 10K mile service along with various other annoyances such as the brakes still squealing, windows that clunk and creak over rough pavement, a sunroof rattle, still rattling rear hatch, and occasional issues on startup where "front assist" not active error message popped up. My car is not tuned, I have always driven stick and I have been easy on the clutch. I also now am developing the fuel line rattle. My car is a 7/2014 build. Going back to the shimmy/jerk/bucking motion that I experience, the dealership said they felt it but that it was probably a normal "fuel saving" technique such as the DI's going from spraying fuel to no spray. Well, I have owned 2 other DI cars and neither of them have done that so I don't buy that. My car has also gotten hard to shift into 1st gear unless I am literally at a complete standstill and the clutch seems to be taking up so high in the travel. Shifting to other gears doesn't feel smooth like it once did and I am worried there is something with the transmission or clutch assembly. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I also have a buzzing in the gear shifter when in 4th gear and the car is decelerating. These two issues make me think it is a transmission or clutch issue more so than an engine issue. I have already spent so much time messing with this car in the 11K miles I have had it that I am really beginning to get frustrated. VWoA told me to take my car back to the dealer for a 4th time now and see if they can feel the shaking again and diagnose. Well, to diagnose if it is transmission is going to require them to drop the transmission and that sounds like a total nightmare waiting to happen. At this point, I am wishing VW would just buyback my car and give me a different GTI with the exact same kit.

P.S: Also, apparently VW doesn't make the correct bumper for vehicles equipped with parking sensors. When I purchased my car the dealership drilled the license plate holes way off center, so to get a new bumper, they have to take a non-park assist bumper without the pre-drilled holes; drill holes into that new bumper, sand, prime, paint and then reinstall the new bumper with a new parking sensor kit. All told, about a 5 day process that should be a 1 hour tear down and replacement with a new bumper directly from VW that is ready for park assist sensors.

Last edited: