GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Don't You Like About the R

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
They have trouble paving the roads in most urban areas. You aren't going to find budget to install that kind of infrastructure.

That's what I mean.
Let alone maintain whatever they do install.
I can very easily imagine people killing each other over functioning charging ports.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
They have trouble paving the roads in most urban areas. You aren't going to find budget to install that kind of infrastructure.
If drivers in the US had any sort of critical reasoning skills, they'd figure out that a slight gas tax, say 1 cent per gallon, dedicated to road maintenance, would easily pay back the drivers by offsetting losses from broken wheels, flat tires, wheel alignment, ball joints, etc.

Here's a story which is analogous to this. When I first moved to Philadelphia many years ago I was fascinated by the metal castings, with some sort of wagon, placed on the walls of many of the old colonial buildings. I eventually found out that those were "fire insurance" medallions. Way back, if you didn't pay for fire insurance, if you had a fire your home simply burned down. The problem with that was that virtually all colonial buildings in this city are built side-by-side, meaning that when your neighbor's house burned down, yours was likely to go too--even if you had fire insurance. The solution was to have the government provide fire departments for everyone in the city, which is something we all couldn't imagine doing without today. Those local fire departments were funded by taxes on every home. And as much as everyone hates having to pay taxes, the alternative was just too ridiculous to continue with.

Now think about those bent/broken rims, flat tires, and mangled suspension systems that those unfixed potholes add to everyone's operating expenses for driving automobiles. Our unwillingness to join together to fix a problem which affects virtually everyone who maintains a car, makes as much sense as opposing public fire departments in every town and city.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
If drivers in the US had any sort of critical reasoning skills, they'd figure out that a slight gas tax, say 1 cent per gallon, dedicated to road maintenance, would easily pay back the drivers by offsetting losses from broken wheels, flat tires, wheel alignment, ball joints, etc.

I would simply argue that maybe we should start using tax money more appropriately and we wouldn't have to raise anything... but that's none of my business.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I would simply argue that maybe we should start using tax money more appropriately and we wouldn't have to raise anything... but that's none of my business.

As long as the military industrial complex is alive and well, with manufacturing in virtually every Congressional District, Federal waste will always be through the roof. But dedicated local gasoline taxes could be a solution to our roads, and still be accountable to the citizenry.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
As long as the military industrial complex is alive and well, with manufacturing in virtually every Congressional District, Federal waste will always be through the roof. But dedicated local gasoline taxes could be a solution to our roads, and still be accountable to the citizenry.

Try telling that to Kalifornians, who suffer with the 2nd highest gasoline taxes in the country, while having to endure some of the most poorly maintained roads in the land.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Try telling that to Kalifornians, who suffer with the 2nd highest gasoline taxes in the country, while having to endure some of the most poorly maintained roads in the land.

The problem there isn't the taxes, it's how they are used. Governments are not very good at using tax money effectively in many cases.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
The problem there isn't the taxes, it's how they are used. Governments are not very good at using tax money effectively in many cases.

Pretty much. I don't mind the taxes I pay. The problem is, the current and past crop of elected officials, on both sides, is utterly incapable of managing the money effectively. Our "representatives" are somewhere between bat shit crazy and mentally defective.

This thread is ridiculously off topic.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

Since you're from Vermont, I'm sure you've driven up into Canada many times. It's amazing how much better paved the roads are, even in rural areas like Nova Scotia. Then again, the price of gas up there IS through the roof. . .

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Then again, the price of gas up there IS through the roof. . .

Compared to your prices, ours are heart-breaking. But we can get those checked for free ;)

Thanks, Kiefer Sutherland’s grandfather!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Since you're from Vermont, I'm sure you've driven up into Canada many times. It's amazing how much better paved the roads are, even in rural areas like Nova Scotia. Then again, the price of gas up there IS through the roof. . .

Yep. Taxes are like going out to dinner, it's about value. I can pay ten bucks for a sandwich and feel I got ripped off, but pay $200 for a nice dinner with my wife and feel it was well worth the cost. Ditto with taxes. I can pay modest taxes but still feel the money is wasted, but I can also pay significant taxes and (theoretically) see that the money is going to good use and that I'm getting good value.

Same with cars. The Golf R is a value to some, a waste of money to others.

gokumaryu76

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
No front fog lights and no sun roof. But I like my golf R still. Trying find a solution for the fog light, it’s a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tortoise

Ready to race!
Agreed, no sun roof, although I recognize, from an enthusiast's perspective, that it's morally superior to forgo such a middlebrow amusements.

flogR

Ready to race!
I believe crash test standards in the US are different and they need to repeat crash testing with new seats. It's not just a matter of plopping them in and charging a few extra bucks.

I think VW should have provided larger fixed front calipers for the R rather than the floating ones we have.

They should have given us better manual transmission components (clutch, fewer delay valves, etc.

My biggest gripe is the poor HVAC system... fogging windows, after the car is already warmed up, when in the auto setting, shouldn't be an issue on a car in this price range.
With the HVAC, according to my Owner manual, if you go into the Infotainment section for AirCon and set "automatic air recirculation" it should turn off recirc if it thinks the windows will fog. I have not had cold weather yet to see.