GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
In light of all this, i would like to ask: say a bolt connecting the sway bar and the endlink needs tightening. Can this be done while the car is on ramps, or do i need to do this with the suspension unloaded?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
In light of all this, i would like to ask: say a bolt connecting the sway bar and the endlink needs tightening. Can this be done while the car is on ramps, or do i need to do this with the suspension unloaded?

Just curious, stock or aftermarket links?

Ideally, it should be done with the suspension loaded but I've always done mine with the car on stands as the last step before I put the wheels on (when doing suspension installs).
But I've always had the nut tighten down all the way with no issues & stay tight.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Just curious, stock or aftermarket links?

Ideally, it should be done with the suspension loaded but I've always done mine with the car on stands as the last step before I put the wheels on (when doing suspension installs).
But I've always had the nut tighten down all the way with no issues & stay tight.

SuperPro rear endlinks.

mk7tsivariant

I have a grinding type of noise coming from the front right every morning when I pull out of the neighborhood... happens when I slow down and make a right at the first stop sign. the thing is I only hear it when cold. Once the car is warmed up it’s not there.

Stock suspension

Snap! My first 90 degree turn to the right everyday produces this noise
- but mine is a right turn from a stationary position - car stopped at traffic lights.

To me the sound is similar to a worn CV joint noise.

As you say, as the car “warms up” it completely goes away - I can’t replicate it for the rest of the journey. In fact, mine never does the noise twice - only once. So to say “warmed up” for my symptom isn’t correct. Unless it is something ridiculous like the grease in the CV and it literally takes 1 turn to “mix the grease” which then doesn’t allow the noise to happen again - I don’t know if that’s even feasible(!) :p

The engineering part of my brain tells me wtf is wrong with my car - but I have to say, my opinion is if it was a worn CV (or anything else worn to the point of danger) you would hear the same noise irrespective of temperature and probably even direction turn and you would hear it multiple times during a journey.

This does lead me to the dubious “characteristic of the car” quote as some sort of reasoning.

I don’t pull away with enough force to get anywhere near dashboard ESC activation (especially when cold, I gently warm the car up - no high revs) - but I do wonder sometimes (especially having an estate/Variant) that pulling away in any fashion (fast or slow) to undertake a 90 degree turn right, leaves the front right wheel with the least load on it. Haven’t tried it with ESC turned off yet though!

As it doesn’t happen turning left - I feel it has to be something do with weight transfer and the front right suspension “lifting”

Basso Profundo

I’m a new forum member with a two-week-old (for me) 2017 S, manual trans, certified, with 9500 miles. I’ve put about 500 miles on since taking ownership and in the past few days have noticed an unusual noise. It’s an intermittent, but prominent, clunk/thwack coming from the passenger-side front during low & moderate speed travel and over normal roads. I drove with my wife today (she, owner of a 2013 Autobahn with DSG) and asked her if she noticed any unusual noises. She first remarked my car was noticeably quieter than hers, and then added, “But there’s some strange noise over near this (passenger-side) corner.”

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m a new forum member with a two-week-old (for me) 2017 S, manual trans, certified, with 9500 miles. I’ve put about 500 miles on since taking ownership and in the past few days have noticed an unusual noise. It’s an intermittent, but prominent, clunk/thwack coming from the passenger-side front during low & moderate speed travel and over normal roads. I drove with my wife today (she, owner of a 2013 Autobahn with DSG) and asked her if she noticed any unusual noises. She first remarked my car was noticeably quieter than hers, and then added, “But there’s some strange noise over near this (passenger-side) corner.”

You said "certified". If that's certified as in a dealer certified used car just take it to the dealer.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
VW certified, yes. I’ll be scheduling an appointment ASAP. Something is not right.

Sounds like a swaybar end link, report back their findings.

Hopefully shipping pucks weren’t missed during PDI (lots of threads out there on that)

PS, welcome to the forums and thank you for using the search function! Always glad to help and it’s nice to see people looking for advice in the proper places rather than constantly starting new threads!

Basso Profundo

Looks like you called it, Gti jake!

The suspension noise has been too disturbing so, not willing to wait six more days for a diagnosis, I stopped at my dealer today. Fortunately, since it was the end of their day, they threw the car on the lift as a courtesy. Bingo!

The accordion gaiters are quite torn up, so they’re ordering a pair. When they install them they’ll further inspect for any secondary damage.

I’ve now driven about 10 miles with the little bastards removed and things are noticeably better. Still, they were missed not only by my dealer during PDI, but also the original owner’s. Crazy.

Attachments

• 26C6C218-B23B-40BC-8606-A3A6E74A22D2.jpeg
    26C6C218-B23B-40BC-8606-A3A6E74A22D2.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 785

jstnstr

Passed Driver's Ed
Just bought my GTI a few weeks ago, I get a pretty bad crunchy squeak when I go slowly over speed bumps from my front axle. Not sure if its the struts, springs, control arms, or whatever else. I have DCC if that makes any difference. Still under warranty but I'd have to flash back to stock... take it to the dealer?

Basso Profundo

As expected, the accordion gaiters needed to be replaced due to the shipping pucks not being removed for 10k miles...

Attachments

• 7A603FE2-C384-46B6-AD9B-69D5522D59DD.jpeg
    7A603FE2-C384-46B6-AD9B-69D5522D59DD.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 670

Basso Profundo

But wait, there’s more!

Three days after the shop replaced the accordions, I go out to wash the car. Now, I always start with the wheels, and once I move to one front corner I’m greeted with a surprise: grease covering the inside surface of the wheel as well as splattered/coating much of the components. It’s not only not water soluble, but my Meguiar’s cleaning spray won’t cut through.

Naturally, I’ll head back to the shop, but might someone guess as to what I’m dealing with?

Attachments

• E47E4859-F4D1-4E13-AAB9-B10076F6D5BD.jpeg
    E47E4859-F4D1-4E13-AAB9-B10076F6D5BD.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 705
  • 04745ACB-C44E-4559-B824-0E46B3F95A54.jpeg
    04745ACB-C44E-4559-B824-0E46B3F95A54.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 655
  • 8916DD04-45BC-4D15-ADC5-8E3F882DCD7C.jpeg
    8916DD04-45BC-4D15-ADC5-8E3F882DCD7C.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 640
  • CAC60C8B-8077-49D5-9295-A59508837857.jpeg
    CAC60C8B-8077-49D5-9295-A59508837857.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
But wait, there’s more!

Three days after the shop replaced the accordions, I go out to wash the car. Now, I always start with the wheels, and once I move to one front corner I’m greeted with a surprise: grease covering the inside surface of the wheel as well as splattered/coating much of the components. It’s not only not water soluble, but my Meguiar’s cleaning spray won’t cut through.

Naturally, I’ll head back to the shop, but might someone guess as to what I’m dealing with?

Axle grease?