GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission warning light, shift selector mech replacement

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
On my 2016 Golf 1.8 TSI 6A I had the flashing transmission warning that others here have reported. Initially mine flashed so quickly that I couldn't read it, and then later would appear until the car was in park, and generally seemed to happen when the motor was cold. I thought it was another electrical quirk, not unlike the rear camera issues -- first it shorted (speculated high pressure car washes), then was replaced but continues to have the "park pilot error" where it refuses to work while in reverse, which is at random and once every four or five reverses.

I finally took it in to VW San Francisco and they kept it over night and replaced the "transmission shift mechanism", also stated as the "gear selector mechanism". The work order specifically said, "Scanned vehicle using guided fault finding, detected diagnostic code B116229 -- selector lever park position switch implausible signal. Found technical service bulletin 37-16-02TT that states to inspect wiring harness for gear selector near the dash support brackets. Inspected wiring harness. Wiring harness ok. TSB recommends replacing gear selector assembly." They then describe steps taken to replace it, and then, "Cleared diagnostic codes and rechecked. No diagnostic codes returned. Vehicle ok at this time." Luckily this was covered under warranty. Their guess for out of pocket may have been around $1,200.

Has anyone else here who had that transmission warning ended up needing this repair? Is it a known part to fail on a barely 2 year old automatic? And could it potentially be caused by paddle shifting maybe 1/3 of its life? I drive the car with care for sure, but I'm not the least aggressive driver out there. Still, I don't drive it hard.

Incidentally they also stated, "Sunroof recall repair kit completed. Sunroof inspected for stress cracks. Eight stress cracks detected. Repaired all stress cracks using sealant per recall. Proceeded to apply stickers to areas that are vulnerable to stress cracks that could cause water leaks." I did have leaking within the first 6 months, and the original dealer did eventually take care of it. These must be continued or new stress cracks. Eek...

bacisface

Car(s)
2016 Golf S with sun
I brought mine in for the transmission failure message in July and the service report says "found fault for lever P17C500, tech replaced gear shifter" I also had them replace the shifter trim because it was very sharp at the cubby edge (cut my wife's hand). All done under warranty.

I might have to go in about that sunroof thing before my warranty runs out. I had the leaking in the roof fixed in the first year too, but it sounds like this is a different issue.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Hrm I've been getting this same exact error message as well. Probably best to go get it sorted, but I do wonder if this has anything to do with the recall that was recently issued for Mk7's with the 09g transmission.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Hrm I've been getting this same exact error message as well. Probably best to go get it sorted, but I do wonder if this has anything to do with the recall that was recently issued for Mk7's with the 09g transmission.

Trip, its a Japanese transmission.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I brought mine in for the transmission failure message in July and the service report says "found fault for lever P17C500, tech replaced gear shifter" I also had them replace the shifter trim because it was very sharp at the cubby edge (cut my wife's hand). All done under warranty.

I might have to go in about that sunroof thing before my warranty runs out. I had the leaking in the roof fixed in the first year too, but it sounds like this is a different issue.

What was the mileage on yours when they covered it under warranty?

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Mine has the ‘error service vehicle, shift to p position’ that pops up for second then goes away a couple times a month, I’m out of warranty though so I just deal with it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Mine has the ‘error service vehicle, shift to p position’ that pops up for second then goes away a couple times a month, I’m out of warranty though so I just deal with it.

A VW dealership rep told me VW plans a recall this December. Don't know how true that is.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
A VW dealership rep told me VW plans a recall this December. Don't know how true that is.

I have heard a lot of this kinda thing about the DSG on different forums/threads so I hope they roll out a recall. Making me paranoid as hell that this things gonna turd out after I am out of warranty.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Wondering if anyone has any information on whether or not there will be a recall for this issue. Just received the error message today and from what I can tell, it's a pretty widespread issue.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Brought mine in for this exact issue two months ago and from what I learned the shifter assembly is currently subject to a recall notice. Service department told me they're still waiting with no ETA for the new fixed unit, but in the meantime they've just been throwing in the most modern revision which most people don't seem to have a problem with.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Wondering if anyone has any information on whether or not there will be a recall for this issue. Just received the error message today and from what I can tell, it's a pretty widespread issue.

Yes there is a recall for the issue and you should have gotten a notice about it in the mail. The service parts for repair are not yet available. If you didn’t get the notice in the mail contact VWOA and adjust your contact info.

Dealing with this now. Went to the dealer and let them know what I've found in the forums and they just want to reflash the TCU. Then they couldn't even do that because they claimed the VW server was down at the time last friday. I have to go back to have them swap out a switch for the window since one touch down failed. So we'll see what happens next. 2017 33k DSG