GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
In a nutshell:

Front and rear differentials on the Golf R are open differentials. They provide no limited slip or locking. That is handled by computers which apply brake pressure to slipping wheels, that mimic a limited slip differential.

Now imagine the improved handling and predictability when using a true mechanical locking differential.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Sale for this at WITW.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I just got United Motorsport Gen 5 Haldex Tune (MQB) today. Stage 2 Unitronic ECU/TCU. I'll let you know what I think after a week of driving.

Looking forward to your review

JS12

Ready to race!
I’m also scheduled to get this installled next week. My car is stock except JB4 so I’ll get in some before and after dragy runs with JB4 map 0 and 2 as well.

Thurnis

Ready to race!
I think you really need to push the car to feel the impact in this tune. I would be much more comfortable if this were in the 200-300 price range. But at 599 its very hard to justify for street performance.

It did eliminate the last bit of wheel spin i was getting from a stop (apr stage 2). and you do feel a bit more push from the rear in cornering. but it's just not really a necessity and there are other things to be done with a whopping 600 including tires. but im addicted to modding at this point so im satisfied.

if you are someone who went stage 2 because you just werent satisfied with stage 1, then this will be in line with your taste and budget of chasing daily driver performance to marginal perfection. but if stage 2 was stretching it for you or you are a bang for your buck modder... i would pass on this. Just my opinion. I will spend more time with it and share thoughts when i can autoX or push the handling harder.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I think you really need to push the car to feel the impact in this tune. I would be much more comfortable if this were in the 200-300 price range. But at 599 its very hard to justify for street performance.

You need to push the car sideways to be exact.. :D Worth every penny if you drive like an a$$hole :cool:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
With a FWD car, even though you have 50% going to the rear wheels, the front of the car still rises up and unloads weight from the wheels under hard acceleration. Unless you weld the suspension so there's no movement you'll always spin the fronts. No tune will solve that. I don't even see the value of a Haldex unit over the viscous coupling I believe Subaru still uses.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
With a FWD car, even though you have 50% going to the rear wheels, the front of the car still rises up and unloads weight from the wheels under hard acceleration. Unless you weld the suspension so there's no movement you'll always spin the fronts. No tune will solve that. I don't even see the value of a Haldex unit over the viscous coupling I believe Subaru still uses.

No the fronts will not always spin, that largely depends what RPM you leave at and how much power you are making. If you set your LC high enough after haldex tune, you will spin all 4 rather than just the front wheels. Keep the rpm under 3700 and you will not spin at all(weather permitting). Now if you were to set up a high speed camera, you may catch the fronts spin a few milliseconds sooner, but you will not feel it one bit.

JS12

Ready to race!
Fred was accommodating enough to meet me at a random Starbucks while he happened to be near me on vacation this past week to have this installed. It took longer to get a good Wi-Fi signal that it did to perform the flash. Thanks Fred!

My initial impressions are somewhere between those of tortoise and Thurnis:

1. The Haldex tune becomes more noticeable and more beneficial the harder you drive. As others have commented, it provides a more balanced/neutral feel.
  2. It definitely reduced wheelspin on launch. The results of my completely unscientific test are below.
Car is '18 DSG: JB4 Map 2, Drop in filter, Shell 93, stock everything else including Pirellis

Previous best 0-60: 4.33 (dry road, chirps on 1-2 and 2-3 shift, dragy verified)
Today (wet road, weather listed as "heavy drizzle", no perceived wheelspin)

Ready to race!
anymore updates?
the $399 price is not really offered to the rest of us. so that was a boo. $599 is pretty high. HPA is still working on theirs. might be a lower price when it comes out.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie

The value of the Haldex is in the reduced wear and fuel consumption while driving at cruising speeds on the highway.