GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dome light buttons?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I did this "mod" a month ago and bought a backlit overhead panel off Ebay for about $88Cdn. Definitely something worthwhile to do on the 7.5.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Your math is missing one important item - the number of Golfs they build in a year, which is somewhere around 1m worldwide. So even at a paltry $1.05 of savings per vehicle, that's $1m. A drop in the bucket for a company of VW's size? Perhaps, but still a buttload of money.

Just pointing out the math, NOT siding with VW for stupid little cost-cutting moves like this. Annoys the hell out of me too.

I hear ya, just would have made WAY more sense to never have the lights since day 1. The fact that they paid to engineer them in, just seems stupid to not leave the lights in. They probably even incurred some (minor) cost to design parts without the lighting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
VW has to make all the cuts that they can to make up for the $35 billion that Dieselgate cost them.

mawallace

Ready to race!
On my 2014 Gt the fornt 'dome' buttons light up; but the rear ones don't. Is there a part which I could fit which would do this? I have the LED reading lights

ImMrMeeseeks

Ready to race!
A good thread to reference is one called MK 7.5 Cost Cutting or something like that. There are quite a few deletions after 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
So is this very difficult? I saw the links but cannot tell what pieces come apart. Any advice?
No, the whole unit pops out and you just install the new one and plug the cord into the harness.

steveaustin

Ready to race!
No, the whole unit pops out and you just install the new one and plug the cord into the harness.

That does look easy...someone mentioned having to transfer a microphone or something, did you? Thanks for the pic! Does that unit also contain LED dome lights?

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
That does look easy...someone mentioned having to transfer a microphone or something, did you? Thanks for the pic! Does that unit also contain LED dome lights?
Yes you will have to transfer over the microphone to the new console, I forgot to mention that in my previous post. The unit does contain LED dome lights.

zech912

Ready to race!
Yes you will have to transfer over the microphone to the new console, I forgot to mention that in my previous post. The unit does contain LED dome lights.

I have to undo all three lighting or whatever they are, clips, correct? I am struggling with the one in left side front (toward window). anyone know how to release that? I guess each side comes out separately? that is, it does not pop out in one piece, does it? the two prongs that hold in the entire piece are too strong to flex.

Attachments

• 2F838A85-0B42-4E02-B685-31A6369925DE.jpeg
    2F838A85-0B42-4E02-B685-31A6369925DE.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 324

zech912

Ready to race!
ok, i see now they have to come out separately. the one side is embedded in the trim piece, that is the wire embedded into the ‘made in mexico” piece, the other side is from a wire in the roof. is this the microphone? I am mystified how either of the two parts/wires of this piece are released.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
ok, i see now they have to come out separately. the one side is embedded in the trim piece, that is the wire embedded into the ‘made in mexico” piece, the other side is from a wire in the roof. is this the microphone? I am mystified how either of the two parts/wires of this piece are released.

Hey, I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I did mine at night so I couldn't see the clips very well. I remember using pick tools to get some of the clips undone.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey, I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I did mine at night so I could see the clips very well. I remember using pick tools to get some of the clips undone.

Do you have a link on ebay for it?

zech912

Ready to race!
Hey, I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I did mine at night so I could see the clips very well. I remember using pick tools to get some of the clips undone.

hey, I figured out what needs to be done as far as both pieces that need to be undone, but I have yet to figure out exactly where and what and how the clips are undone. and to think you did it at night! I did kinda decide it must require pick tools rather than the usual push and pull (so thank you for that confirmation) but I have not figured out exactly how to do them. I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow, just to see if he can get those two clips released.