mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
2017 SE 6MT.
Been driving manual for 13 years.
Installed JB1 around 2K miles.
Wow.
Never dumped the clutch.
Never floored it in 5th or 6th gear.
Around 6K miles, clutch slipped in 4th gear.
When I gave it gas, RPMS would shoot up to around 4K and would hold and car wouldn't accelerate.
Took JB1 off. Stock power :(
No slip anywhere.
Ran like that for over a year.
Put JB1 back on for sh*ts and giggles.
Slip in 4th gear again.
Back to stock power again :/

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Like he said, were all entitled to our own opinions on here and i dont wanna start any drama. I read everything on here and take in what is necessary. I owned almost 20 mk3's and about 26 vws total, the majority (90%) of them being n/a vr6 motors. This turbo stuff, and newer styling has me feeling like a noob so i dont mind any criticism, especially if its constructive. I think they have a lot of gray areas in the warranty do's and dont's and im sure every dealership would handle each situation differently, unfortunately. I have been looking up different options for clutches, and i dont think it would be a big deal, especially considering i have a buddy with a euro garage. Id rather be safe than sorry, which was the whole reason behind this post.

I appreciate all the first hand situations and even some others from other posts with the same general topic. I want to have fun in this car, but i dont want to smash shit so i need to be smart. Im not a dumb kid anymore, tough lessons already learned lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
2017 SE 6MT.
Wow.
Never dumped the clutch.
When I gave it gas, RPMS would shoot up to around 4K and would hold and car wouldn't accelerate.
No slip anywhere.
Slip in 4th gear again.
That really sucks man. At least you were smart enough to go back to stock. Once you get the cash, throw a better clutch in it and go have fun [emoji1690]

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
2017 SE 6MT.
Wow.
Never dumped the clutch.
No slip anywhere.
Slip in 4th gear again.

Why not cut the boost under 4k?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I zip tied plug D to the charge pipe so it stays out of the way. Also, I kept the original harness in the same bend/origination as if it were to be plugged into the sensor, wires tend to take form after a while so this way if I pull the JB4 off for any reason, it will plug right in and not risk breaking any wires. This is definitely overkill, but my personal preference.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I zip tied plug D to the charge pipe so it stays out of the way. Also, I kept the original harness in the same bend/origination as if it were to be plugged into the sensor, wires tend to take form after a while so this way if I pull the JB4 off for any reason, it will plug right in and not risk breaking any wires. This is definitely overkill, but my personal preference.

That's a smart way to do it. I remember a post where the wires for plug D got chewed up by the fan.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
One other tip, i guess you could call it, is buy the harness for the AFR wire so you don't need to cut/tap into it. Someone out there sells them, cos i have one. Don't know who, cos i bought my JB4 used along with the harness. If you had to take in your gti for a serious engine issue, (or a warranty clutch if its under 12months lolololol) its nice to know that even if they suspected, and look for a tapped AFR sensor wire, they won't find one.. Don't bother doing anything with the grommet for warranty, If they were to ask you could just say, i had an aftermarket amp installed which i tried to install but decided to sell. There's no law against installing an aftermarket amp and loads do exactly that.

Can't think of an excuse as to why you'd have a tapped AFR wire though.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
That really sucks man. At least you were smart enough to go back to stock. Once you get the cash, throw a better clutch in it and go have fun [emoji1690]

Fo sho. I plan to save up for an HS Tuning RSR clutch later on so I can turn the boost back up. It was a blast to drive :cool:

Why not cut the boost under 4k?

I don't have the data cable or a PC to change the boost values. It was just easier to remove the JB1 for now. Also, as the clutch already slipped this early, I don't want to take the chance of further damaging it and being forced to shell out for a new clutch right now, in case even the slightest bit of extra boost hurts it.

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Nothing wrong with that. It's smart really

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
One other tip, i guess you could call it, is buy the harness for the AFR wire so you don't need to cut/tap into it. Someone out there sells them, cos i have one. Don't know who, cos i bought my JB4 used along with the harness. If you had to take in your gti for a serious engine issue, (or a warranty clutch if its under 12months lolololol) its nice to know that even if they suspected, and look for a tapped AFR sensor wire, they won't find one.. Don't bother doing anything with the grommet for warranty, If they were to ask you could just say, i had an aftermarket amp installed which i tried to install but decided to sell. There's no law against installing an aftermarket amp and loads do exactly that.

That's a really good point. Maybe I'll order that quick before i install. This weather is breaking my balls tho. I'm ready for spring

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
That's a smart way to do it. I remember a post where the wires for plug D got chewed up by the fan.

I actually ran the wiring down near the WP, there is a factory harness that runs along there so I ran it in parallel. You honestly can't really tell its not factory unless you know what you're looking for.

Have that too. There is a harness for sale in the classifieds currently, I actually made it.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
For fishing through the grommet: Find yourself a flexy stick, like a 3/8" plastic PEX tube from home depot. Tape your wire to the end. Shove the stick from inside the cabin up and into the engine bay. Pops right out alongside the battery with no effort.

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
For fishing through the grommet: Find yourself a flexy stick, like a 3/8" plastic PEX tube from home depot. Tape your wire to the end. Shove the stick from inside the cabin up and into the engine bay. Pops right out alongside the battery with no effort.
Always got pex laying around. Thats a good idea. Thanks!

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Do i also have to get either the bluetooth cable or the cable for the computer? If so, which one? Quite a price difference