GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hiccup/Hesitation on Hard-ish Acceleration

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I thought the same thing until the VW master mechanic told me it was clutch slip. I might go back and ask him for an explanation why. But until then here is something to consider, my theory to why RPM would drop from clutch slip...

Has there ever been any MK7 on video with RPM increasing on video? Like actual video proof?

Maybe VW put something in the ECU and TCU that detects when there is a slip in the transmission and cuts the power. Then gives the power back when it detects it is in gear again.

That is entirely possible with today's technology. As a safety measure put in place to prevent from hitting redline suddenly when the clutch slips.

I'm also a VW/Audi master mechanic, and work with some master mechanic who don't know anything, so take what he (and I) said with a grain of salt. There is no TCU for manual cars. Manual cars don't "pop" out of gear when the clutch slips. MK7 MT's can over-rev, and they store a code.

Here's a video of clutch slip on a MK7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_mSwU67kg

Here's a video of DSG clutch pack slip on a MK7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHfjPn0GMdU

I love youtube.

Last edited:
I'm also a VW/Audi master mechanic, and work with some master mechanic who don't know anything, so take what he (and I) said with a grain of salt. There is no TCU for manual cars. Manual cars don't "pop" out of gear when the clutch slips. MK7 MT's can over-rev, and they store a code.

Here's a video of clutch slip on a MK7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_mSwU67kg

Here's a video of DSG clutch pack slip on a MK7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHfjPn0GMdU

I love youtube.

Yeah YouTube is great. Anyways I wasn't saying manuals had a TCU. That's why I said ECU also. These developers could code it into the ECU if they wanted. For example all they would have to code is anytime trhe ECU detects that the RPM's suddenly rise at a rapid rate, without the front tire spinning faster at a rapid rate, then it cuts or limits the power of the engine. Just like it would when traction control kicks in.

So it certainly is possible. But whether they have that coded in the ECU of course I don't know. Just a guess.

Also those videos were both 2015 cars right? There was significant electronic changes to 2016+ the entire head unit was replaced. So maybe other electrical changes were made to ECU on the 2016 I had and the OP has.

Since your a VW mechanic in your experience, if it's not clutch slip, what would have cause RPM to paise or drop during heavy acceleration while the speed of the car is still increasing or constant?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yeah YouTube is great. Anyways I wasn't saying manuals had a TCU. That's why I said ECU also. These developers could code it into the ECU if they wanted. For example all they would have to code is anytime trhe ECU detects that the RPM's suddenly rise at a rapid rate, without the front tire spinning faster at a rapid rate, then it cuts or limits the power of the engine. Just like it would when traction control kicks in.

So it certainly is possible. But whether they have that coded in the ECU of course I don't know. Just a guess.

Also those videos were both 2015 cars right? There was significant electronic changes to 2016+ the entire head unit was replaced. So maybe other electrical changes were made to ECU on the 2016 I had and the OP has.

Since your a VW mechanic in your experience, if it's not clutch slip, what would have cause RPM to paise or drop during heavy acceleration while the speed of the car is still increasing or constant?

Anything and everything. Give me the car and I'll tell you in about an hour. Could be a bad ECU, could be a clogged air filter. Dropping two gears makes the most sense due to how the DSG works and is normal operation (and the tach looks like it pauses, startled me the first few times). No fault code, no problem is a good way to look at it. Like you said, the cars are complex, and normal operation can be seen as strange until you know it's normal.

Last edited:
Anything and everything. Give me the car and I'll tell you in about an hour. Could be a bad ECU, could be a clogged air filter. Dropping two gears makes the most sense due to how the DSG works and is normal operation (and the tach looks like it pauses, startled me the first few times). No fault code, no problem is a good way to look at it. Like you said, the cars are complex, and normal operation can be seen as strange until you know it's normal.

Hmm almost makes me wish I would have took it to another dealer for a second opinion before trading in. But since I got a year newer and went up to a sport trim with all the performance stuff. It worked out in the long run.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hmm almost makes me wish I would have took it to another dealer for a second opinion before trading in. But since I got a year newer and went up to a sport trim with all the performance stuff. It worked out in the long run.

Sport trim best trim. Like I posted earlier, really wish I could help more, but until the JB1 is removed it's hard to even guess. So hopefully OP will be able to do that soon.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
I’ll likely remove the JB1 this weekend. I emailed George and he recommended that the issue could be too much boost. I find that odd since I’ve only ever run map 1 and this is only now an issue with no adjustments made to boost. So... who knows. I’ll report back after I remove the JB1

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mine was fine for over a year then started detonating under heavy throttle input randomly. Turned my jb1 to map 0 and it's fine now. Although I think I need new plugs to solve my issue
I’ll likely remove the JB1 this weekend. I emailed George and he recommended that the issue could be too much boost. I find that odd since I’ve only ever run map 1 and this is only now an issue with no adjustments made to boost. So... who knows. I’ll report back after I remove the JB1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Mine was fine for over a year then started detonating under heavy throttle input randomly. Turned my jb1 to map 0 and it's fine now. Although I think I need new plugs to solve my issue

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Interesting... I changed mine to Map 0 and it is still happening. My plugs are 2-3 months old.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Scanned the car today for shits n giggles. Still no CEL but ever codes came up. I assumed related to removing the JB1

codes:
P011300 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Bank 1 Circuit High
Intermittent
P019000 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit
Intermittent
P010600 - Manifold Abs.Pressure or Bar.Pressure Range/Performance
Intermittent
P010800 - Manifold Abs.Pressure or Bar.Pressure High Input
Intermittent
P023800 - Turbocharger Boost Sensor (A) Circ. High Input
Intermittent

rossross

Scanned the car today for shits n giggles. Still no CEL but ever codes came up. I assumed related to removing the JB1

codes:
P011300 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Bank 1 Circuit High
Intermittent
P019000 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit
Intermittent
P010600 - Manifold Abs.Pressure or Bar.Pressure Range/Performance
Intermittent
P010800 - Manifold Abs.Pressure or Bar.Pressure High Input
Intermittent
P023800 - Turbocharger Boost Sensor (A) Circ. High Input
Intermittent

Did you remove the ground from the battery, or let the car go into sleep mode before removing the JB1? If not then yes that would throw a few codes. Sleep mode, you leave the hood up for 15 minutes without opening any door or the hatch.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Did you remove the ground from the battery, or let the car go into sleep mode before removing the JB1? If not then yes that would throw a few codes. Sleep mode, you leave the hood up for 15 minutes without opening any door or the hatch.

I didn’t. But luckily after clearing the codes it’s fine now.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie