Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Nice let's get some times

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Edit: Fixed the pic and video links

Finally got some times...

MK7 Golf R 6MT/Stock Turbo/UM Tuned/DP/Intake

I'm FBO but with the stock intercooler. It was 32 degrees yesterday and I was on all seasons (Conti DWS) but I still managed to get a 1.88 60ft.

I will post a link to the video as well. I let off just before the 1/8 so I think I could have made better time but this was my best run overall.

I really went out yesterday to practice my WOT shifting since putting in the BFI Stage 1 Engine/Trans mounts and it does feel smoother.

Here are my times:

4.32 - 0-60 (4.09 w/1ft rollout)
8.21 @ 87.25mph - 1/8th

Here's my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR0JNT-0cdc

Here are the pics:

Last edited:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Edit: Fixed the pic and video links

Finally got some times...

MK7 Golf R 6MT/Stock Turbo/UM Tuned/DP/Intake

I'm FBO but with the stock intercooler. It was 32 degrees yesterday and I was on all seasons (Conti DWS) but I still managed to get a 1.88 60ft.

I will post a link to the video as well. I let off just before the 1/8 so I think I could have made better time but this was my best run overall.

I really went out yesterday to practice my WOT shifting since putting in the BFI Stage 1 Engine/Trans mounts and it does feel smoother.

Here are my times:

4.32 - 0-60 (4.09 w/1ft rollout)
8.21 @ 87.25mph - 1/8th

Here's my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR0JNT-0cdc

Here are the pics:

Do you think the 0-60 would improve if you dropped the LC to around 4k?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Do you think the 0-60 would improve if you dropped the LC to around 4k?

That's where I originally had it and it bogs completely and rpm's drop to 1k. 60ft goes from 1.8 to about 2.3. My first runs at the drag strip I ran 14's with LC at 4k. When I went to 5.5k my time improved to a best 12.9

I'm going to try launching at 6k but I'm waiting until the weather gets warmer.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
That's where I originally had it and it bogs completely and rpm's drop to 1k. 60ft goes from 1.8 to about 2.3. My first runs at the drag strip I ran 14's with LC at 4k. When I went to 5.5k my time improved to a best 12.9

I'm going to try launching at 6k but I'm waiting until the weather gets warmer.

Jesus....I'm launching at like 3500-3600. Guess I need to raise it up a bit.

railroader

Autocross Newbie

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Jesus....I'm launching at like 3500-3600. Guess I need to raise it up a bit.

If you are a manual R then yes, raise those revs. Car and Driver was able to get a 13.4 (DSG got 13.2) out of a stock R in the 1/4 mile by launching at 6k...they say though to catch the revs as they ascend:

we found the most effective launch method is to catch the engine revs as they ascended to around 6000 rpm and then dump the clutch. This produced a 4.8-second zero-to-60-mph sprint and a quarter-mile time of 13.4 seconds with a trap speed of 104 mph.

Link to the article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a19460857/2018-volkswagen-golf-r-manual-test-review/

7k. dew it

x2...well maybe not at 7k, but I would try 5500 first and then maybe 6k. I'm going to try 6k when I get a chance but I know that from 4-5k I was getting too much bog.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
If you are a manual R then yes, raise those revs. Car and Driver was able to get a 13.4 (DSG got 13.2) out of a stock R in the 1/4 mile by launching at 6k...they say though to catch the revs as they ascend:

we found the most effective launch method is to catch the engine revs as they ascended to around 6000 rpm and then dump the clutch. This produced a 4.8-second zero-to-60-mph sprint and a quarter-mile time of 13.4 seconds with a trap speed of 104 mph.

Link to the article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a19460857/2018-volkswagen-golf-r-manual-test-review/

x2...well maybe not at 7k, but I would try 5500 first and then maybe 6k. I'm going to try 6k when I get a chance but I know that from 4-5k I was getting too much bog.

I am DSG. But i have the UM adjustable launch control so should be able to set to whatever I want.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
How are you guys launching so high? I launched at 4k last night and completely blew the tires off the car. Spun all 4, bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st!

-- Ed

H22hatch

Ready to race!
How are you guys launching so high? I launched at 4k last night and completely blew the tires off the car. Spun all 4, bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st!

-- Ed

Super sticky tires I suppose lol. I personally haven't tried a high rpm launch so not sure what it would do.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

-- Ed

6MT Golf R is different to launch then say a DSG R. AT 4k the car just bogs...you literally have to rev high enough for it not to bog and start to spin a little.

I imagine launching a GTI is different for either Manual or DSG so I can't speak on them.

Navi

Autocross Champion
6MT Golf R is different to launch then say a DSG R. AT 4k the car just bogs...you literally have to rev high enough for it not to bog and start to spin a little.

I imagine launching a GTI is different for either Manual or DSG so I can't speak on them.

What rpm are you launching at in the 6spd Golf R? I asked Alex at stratified to lower my launch control from 4000k rpm in my 6spd GTI bc I don't want to dump the clutch at such a high rpm. He said anything lower and the car bogs, which sounds like what you are saying... curious what you launch at?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
What rpm are you launching at in the 6spd Golf R? I asked Alex at stratified to lower my launch control from 4000k rpm in my 6spd GTI bc I don't want to dump the clutch at such a high rpm. He said anything lower and the car bogs, which sounds like what you are saying... curious what you launch at?

Right now 5500k. At the track here were my results:

Launch at:
4k: 2.3 60ft - completely bogs
5k: 2.0 60ft - bogs but not as bad
5.5k: 1.85 ft - still a little bog but not as bad as 5k

I’m dropping the clutch...I feel for the engagement point and hold there before dropping.

I’ve tried to slip slightly before letting go but it’s hard! I have a DKM Twin Disk and it’s taken the abuse.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
I got a 15.6 60-130mph. Lol. So slow........