GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Refitting Interior Rear View Mirror

Quarkrad

I was cleaning the interior windscreen when the rear view mirror fell off. I must have hit it, slightly, at the wrong angle, and it fell off. I have unplugged it - photo below. Any ideas on the method to replace it much appreciated.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 8,767

Ronin3

Ready to race!
Looks like it should clip back on but if you're in any doubt take it back to your dealer.

The part might not have been fitted correctly when the car was built and it should be able to withstand a gentle tap when cleaning the windscreen.

Fingers crossed for you it comes under dealer goodwill or warranty.

Quarkrad

Actually this turned out to be not so bad. If you pull at the plastic casing sides, where the arrows are, slightly apart the casing comes away. You then offer the mirror up the the housing on the windscreen and the four spring clips on the mirror line up with the housing part. The spring clips are too strong to push directly onto the housing - if you look carefully you turn the mirror body about 30 degrees and the springs fit in to the side. You then twist the mirror body with your hand and they click into place. You can then refit the wiring plug and replace the plastic trims.

Attachments

• mirror2.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 6,343

DukeofVW

So I am talking to Mito who makes/distributes the Gentex homelink mirror and they have asked for a picture of the mirror mount on the windshield. I came across this thread in my great search for a solution. I unfortunately do not have access to my car for a few days so I am asking for help to get a pic of the windshield mount, was hoping that you may have one from when your mirror was off? Any help would be appreciated.

Our cars here in the US did not get the auto dimming mirror thus my search for a solution to this.

robby1

Ready to race!
Brilliant - found this thread via google as i was struggling to refit my mirror yesterday and had all but given up - now refitted
Many thanks :)

Timgolf

Car(s)
VW golf
Actually this turned out to be not so bad. If you pull at the plastic casing sides, where the arrows are, slightly apart the casing comes away. You then offer the mirror up the the housing on the windscreen and the four spring clips on the mirror line up with the housing part. The spring clips are too strong to push directly onto the housing - if you look carefully you turn the mirror body about 30 degrees and the springs fit in to the side. You then twist the mirror body with your hand and they click into place. You can then refit the wiring plug and replace the plastic trims.
Thank you so much for posting this information. Helped me get this fixed very quickly after I knocked it off.