GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
How does not using 508 affect warranty

As surprising as it sounds, 508 spec oil is greenish.

If you have an engine issue, and they pull the oil and they see it's not green when they specifically say "only use VW508 spec oils" then you may get denied.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
Old thread but I just got my 2019 in March. Just did the first oil change at 1,265 miles on May 4th. Used 0W-20 Castrol Edge like all my literature states to do. I debated hard about using Motul or Amsoil but after consulting with people(two engineers and a two technicians from different manufactures) I know in the industry I was advised MILLIONS are spent by manufacturers every year on R&D to ensure compatibility of oil with their engines for both longevity/reliability and economy. Although I agree Motul is probably a better oil than Castrol... is it so much better that my "old-man style driving", drastically reduced oil change intervals and just good engine etiquette will see any appreciable difference in wear during my ~100,000 miles with the car? I doubt it. What do you guys think?

Nickva

I'll will use mobile 1 0w-20 synthetic with it. Never had any problem with mobile on all of my cars. Under the hood it say use vw508.00 or SAE 0W-20 oil.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Old thread but I just got my 2019 in March. Just did the first oil change at 1,265 miles on May 4th. Used 0W-20 Castrol Edge like all my literature states to do. I debated hard about using Motul or Amsoil but after consulting with people(two engineers and a two technicians from different manufactures) I know in the industry I was advised MILLIONS are spent by manufacturers every year on R&D to ensure compatibility of oil with their engines for both longevity/reliability and economy. Although I agree Motul is probably a better oil than Castrol... is it so much better that my "old-man style driving", drastically reduced oil change intervals and just good engine etiquette will see any appreciable difference in wear during my ~100,000 miles with the car? I doubt it. What do you guys think?

What are you worrying about? You could of run with Walmart's very own Super Tech Any SAE, given you're changing at 1,265 miles :confused::confused::confused:

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
That was just to get as much contaminants out of the engine after break in as possible. I'll do another change at 5,000mi then 10,000mi and every 10,000mi thereafter. I don't want to be doing harm by using 0W-20 but it seems a lot of manufacturers are going to it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
Yeah, I've read all the way through that... But this is an oil thread and thats a 2019 stalling thread. Anyone with a 2018 or earlier mk7 have a good baseline operating oil temp on the 5w-30 or 5w-40? I have almost 1,400mi on the odo and the highest I've seen is 225F with an OAT 72F after a ~30mi trip from work starts with highway then ends with relatively frequent stoplights/signs. This is on 0W-20 Castrol Edge. If I'm seeing ~220F on 0W-20 and someone with 5W-30/40 is seeing 220F... I'd think the oil is doing it's job, preventing metal on metal? I dunno. Also, at 1,400mi my "extended period" mpg is 31.3... 31.3 and 220F on 0W-20... I would like to see other numbers people are seeing on both the 0W-20 and 5W-30/40 or hell 0W-40(which I personally think is probably the way to go).

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
Please.

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
Yeah, I've read all the way through that... But this is an oil thread and thats a 2019 stalling thread. Anyone with a 2018 or earlier mk7 have a good baseline operating oil temp on the 5w-30 or 5w-40? I have almost 1,400mi on the odo and the highest I've seen is 225F with an OAT 72F after a ~30mi trip from work starts with highway then ends with relatively frequent stoplights/signs. This is on 0W-20 Castrol Edge. If I'm seeing ~220F on 0W-20 and someone with 5W-30/40 is seeing 220F... I'd think the oil is doing it's job, preventing metal on metal? I dunno. Also, at 1,400mi my "extended period" mpg is 31.3... 31.3 and 220F on 0W-20... I would like to see other numbers people are seeing on both the 0W-20 and 5W-30/40 or hell 0W-40(which I personally think is probably the way to go).

On my previous 2017 GTI I would typically see right around 220F oil temps, with 5W-40. Same with my 2019 when running the OEM 5W-20. Two days ago I did my second oil change at the 6K mark (first was at 1K) and I decided to use Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4. My oil temps are still the same.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
On my previous 2017 GTI I would typically see right around 220F oil temps, with 5W-40. Same with my 2019 when running the OEM 5W-20. Two days ago I did my second oil change at the 6K mark (first was at 1K) and I decided to use Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4. My oil temps are still the same.

Yeah, we're pretty like minded. I'm going to do my second oil change at 5,000 just so I have 1,000, 4,000 and then 5,000(progressively longer intervals) while getting back onto the factory oil change schedule. I don't know if I'll do 10,000 ever but we'll see. I'll probably do 0W-40 next time as well. What kinda mpg are you getting average?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Is this green thing true? You could use liquidity molygen 5w-40 and that oil is green. Really doubt color is what’s going to deny a warranty claim. They all become brown after a couple hundred miles anyway

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
I paid a lot more attention to the oil coming out than going in and it seemed completely normal to me(except very dirty for 1,200mi but it has done a lot of work during break in) But at the time wasn’t expecting to see a difference either. So I probably saw what I expected to see - psychology I guess...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'll will use mobile 1 0w-20 synthetic with it. Never had any problem with mobile on all of my cars. Under the hood it say use vw508.00 or SAE 0W-20 oil.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

0w20 that has 508.00 approval, not any 0w20.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
How do you know a specific oil meets 508? I used the Castrol so I know by tribal knowledge I guess and that VW told me to use it in my new car literature but other than, the Castrol bottle doesn't say meets or exceeds vw 508 like it does with a bunch of other makes...