GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a case for using 504/407 approv oil?

H

Huntermike

In case anyone is following this (and to save sorting through all the specs), the most readily available via internet 504/507 oils that I've found are (all 5W30):

Total Ineo Quartz 5W30
(Private brand) Triax 5W-30 Ultra VX
LiquiMoly 4200
Motul X-Clean+
Ravenol VMP
Pentosin SP-III

I'd be curious if anyone else is going this route?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30
Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 & 5w-30
EDGE Professional LL03 5W-30

zero10

Ready to race!
Given that people on here are scared to run their 502 oil further than 5-7,500mi, I'm not really buying the argument that VW 504 is suddenly fine to use

VW, LiquiMoly, etc. all recommend VW 502 for North America.

MB 229.5 is the most stringent oil spec, other than Ferrari.

That's the nice thing about each of us owning our own cars and not having to share one - we can have different opinions :)

Some people insist on changing the factory fill at only a few hundred miles, or sometimes 1-3 thousand. To me that seems wasteful, to them it's cheap protection. I subscribe to the line of thought that oil takes some usage to reach it's peak protective ability while other feel brand new oil will always protect best.

Personally I'm planning on using 504 certified oil and running factory change intervals (15,000km) until warranty is up and if the UOAs keep coming back good at that interval until then, I'll stretch it to 20,000km and continue increasing 5000km at a time until I hit 30k / 1 year or get an analysis back that recommends a change. Stepping up conservatively like this means I am extremely unlikely to do any damage even if I exceed the useful life of the oil once and also gives me more data points which pleases my inner data junkie. If there is a risk that the sulfur content in North American (or even just local) fuel is too high and it will shorten the oil's useful life then I will see for myself in the next couple years. I suspect though, based on what I have read about Canadian (and US) fuel standards, that there is no concern there.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
curious why you would think that oil takes time to reach it's full protective ability?

I understand reasoning behind filters working better in some cases when slightly used but oil?

trying to learn

Mud

zero10

Ready to race!
curious why you would think that oil takes time to reach it's full protective ability?

I understand reasoning behind filters working better in some cases when slightly used but oil?

trying to learn

Mud

I'm definitely not the primary source of this argument, but if I recall correctly the basis of the argument was doing 1000km (1000mi?) sampling intervals during an oil change interval and finding the wear metal rates started high and declined through the life of the oil until the oil was used up then increased again. I don't have a thread handy to link containing this information but could try to dig it up again if necessary.