GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How hard are these spark plug tips?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Ordered some OEM NGK spark plugs, and they did not come gapped. Wide open past 0.050. I'm not the strongest guy around, but I've put as much force as I can while sitting down and the gaps just won't go down to 0.032

I saw some videos use a hammer (albeit very gently) or a channel lock plier, but I'd rather not resort to those tools.

Any advice on closing down the spark plug tips?

Elwood

3-7-77
Bending the tips cracks the platinum coating. It will flake off. Not a big deal because the gap usually gets bigger due to the center electrode eroding.

The easiest way to close the gap is to just gently hit the plug on a concrete floor. Like you're trying to bounce the plug. Don't let go - just bounce the plug. If the gap doesn't close (measure often), then bounce it a little harder.

I don't understand why the gap is too big. Did you double-check the part number?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Doing it while standing up worked. They might have tools, but I'd rather not spend money on something I'm going to use once every 3-4 years.

It's weird, the NGK that I ordered before came perfectly gapped out of the box, but the VW/Audi-branded NGK was way too big. I am actually going to return them, it does seem a little suspect. Not to mention iridiums should be marginally better now that I plan on a stage 1 tune.