GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another is38 victim

Hoon

Autocross Champion
e85 isnt really logical for my daily driver, my closest e85 station is a 130 mile round trip, so I have a 55 gallon drum with a pump in my garage I fill up, full e85 just wouldn't be practical.

Nope lol 91 & meth for that situation.

You can buy from Autotech directly and they also sell on ebay, so there's a price break if you wait for a sale day.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Ah, well I'm running a lot more meth with the second nozzle. I have a brand new spare clutch kit I could probably sell and buy the mpi lol, but then my luck my clutch would take a shit again
Nope lol 91 & meth for that situation.

You can buy from Autotech directly and they also sell on ebay, so there's a price break if you wait for a sale day.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Got a spare pump (2 actually, lol).

You probably have a spare MK7 by now lol

Ah, well I'm running a lot more meth with the second nozzle. I have a brand new spare clutch kit I could probably sell and buy the mpi lol, but then my luck my clutch would take a shit again

Eh, with very limited access to E85 the MPI loses most of its appeal. I'd keep the clutch and hit that sucker with a whole lot of meth.

Hans

Ready to race!
Dude; sorry to see another IS38 pop. :(

How aggressive the tune is makes the difference, not R vs Gti
^^ This is what I keep seeing; more often than OTS tunes (not exclusively), its tunes that have the ability for the user to make adjustments where the turbos go pop. Purely anecdotal, I know.

Seems like if you want to tweak, and/or get 400+whp, and/or do fueling, then a factory-based turbo isn’t the best option.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
You probably have a spare MK7 by now lol

Eh, with very limited access to E85 the MPI loses most of its appeal. I'd keep the clutch and hit that sucker with a whole lot of meth.
Ya probably my plan, easier to get meth.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I dont see an issue with factory "based" so far they have been pretty reliable for the ones that are out there, all updated stuff inside them, it's the oem ones that are prone to propping but when you push them to there limit constantly on a daily basis it's only a matter of time. I knew going into this when I got my is38 that it was a ticking time bomb
Dude; sorry to see another IS38 pop. :(

^^ This is what I keep seeing; more often than OTS tunes (not exclusively), its tunes that have the ability for the user to make adjustments where the turbos go pop. Purely anecdotal, I know.

Seems like if you want to tweak, and/or get 400+whp, and/or do fueling, then a factory-based turbo isn’t the best option. Also this had nothing to do with any changes I made, the logs when it gave actually looked good only thing was Watergate duty cycle was higher than usual but nothing that really said to die, it was just time for it to go, and I'll be honest I haven't checked the shaft play in a long time so had I been on top of that I probably would have avoided this

Last edited:

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Last edited:

railroader

Autocross Newbie

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ya but still good info to refresh with, thanks

Sorry for the loss, and i saw you ordered eqt so good luck with that, excited to see the comparisons.

One question, im sure its posted somewhere and i missed it but what tune were your running?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Sorry for the loss, and i saw you ordered eqt so good luck with that, excited to see the comparisons.

One question, im sure its posted somewhere and i missed it but what tune were your running?
Maestro. I was logging when it went and the log looked good only a couple issues like it was running a little fat but nothing to bad

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry to see this but at least it gives you the excuse to go BT. IS38s can make good power but the unfortunate reality is that reliability goes down the drain when being pushed.