GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Touch Up Paint

sabs77

Hello all ... just wondering if anybody has purchased touch up paint for their car lately from the dealer. I live in Ottawa, Canada and I have a MK7 White GTI. In the past the dealer sold the touch up paint as a kit with 2 separate containers, one paint and one clear coat. I contacted the dealer and they said they no longer do it separate, they are now mixed together in 1 pen.

Just wondering if anybody has experience/knowledge of this and if the results are the same.

Cheers.

SM075180

Ready to race!
I purchased some deep black pearl and clear locally and they’re separate pens- the color pen is either lacking the metallic component or it’s just not able to “flow” from the reservoir due to the design of the pen.

I’ll be purchasing an airbrush and cracking open the pen in hopes that it actually contains the metallic flake- and is just a design flaw.

Anyone else experienced this?

OP I’d be happy to call my dealer if you PM your paint code. Maybe I can help get you hooked up with some remaining “old style” stock of it if VW has changed how they’re doing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
I just purchased the paint chip pen from my VW dealer, earlier this week. It is for a 2018 Tornado red Golf R.

I asked the parts guy if it is a single pen or 2 pens. He said they come in a kit with 2 paint pens. One is the base coat and the other is the clear coat. Even showed me a sample, but a different colour.

I asked if he knew if the paint was water based or acrylic? He did not know, but e-mailed the factory, and called me back 4 days later. The paint is acrylic, which IMO is much better in blending in, and more durable. :)

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
To my dismay my dealer had to special order the pen for my 2015 black Golf and it will take 10 business days to arrive. You'd think they would keep at least a few of all the common colors from the past 3-5 years in stock. I checked every auto parts store in town and they didn't have any compatible black VW paints. Hopefully my chip doesn't go rusty by the time they get it.

SM075180

Ready to race!
To my dismay my dealer had to special order the pen for my 2015 black Golf and it will take 10 business days to arrive. You'd think they would keep at least a few of all the common colors from the past 3-5 years in stock. I checked every auto parts store in town and they didn't have any compatible black VW paints. Hopefully my chip doesn't go rusty by the time they get it.

Spray wax it in the meantime? Just because there’s no paint yet doesn’t mean you’ve gotta let it sit naked in the elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Honestly for doing touch up work, the combined paint is SO MUCH easier to use.

I also hate the pens as they tend to clog after a few uses. I prefer to buy my paints from aftermarket. Although it is a separate paint, I mix the base with the clear and apply together if it the chip is small enough. I use a brush like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Label-D...17&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=touch+up+brush&psc=1

I usually buy my touch ups from paintscratch.com

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I've had the local paint guy mix some up, but it was off. Recently bought some online, hoping for better results. Automotivetouchup.com, good reviews.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I ordered touch-up paint for my 2018 Dark Iron Blue Metallic GTI a couple months ago. It took a month to get to the dealer but it came in two pens, the color and a clear.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I bought a VW touch up pen for my last white Golf. TBH it sucked. Hopefully they've improved. It either gave you no paint or way too much.

I think the trick is to disperse the paint you need into a small container of some kind then use your own method of applying it like a plastic toothpick or those really tiny brushes another poster linked to.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I've used DR Color Chip on 4 cars now and plan to use it on my Lapiz R. Just got a small bottle delivered and the color looks good to me. I'm very happy with this product.