GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
pm incoming. As for treybyday, what part number do you have? What other info did Alex give you? If it's anything like the info he gave me, it's that the 844 (discover media mib2) can't have his process done to it, only the 0xx (discover pro mib2).

5Q0 035 844 A

So it's as you said. That's unfortunate. He said I should get a replacement headunit, but now I think he meant different headunit.

He said that because of the SWAP functions applied, it's registered to my VIN and "wont ever work". Also said that my part number couldn't support Nav or App-Connect (even though I had been using Android Auto just fine before having Component Protection removed), but only radio and bluetooth, which is conveniently what my dealership was able to turn on.

I asked if buying an App-Connect key and going back to the dealership would work, he said that it's never been tested. :eek: Thoughts?

I didn't realize there were so many different MIB2 part numbers. So basically no USA according to this list, lol.

Are there any other options besides getting a different headunit and doing this all over again? My dealership had my car for six days trying to figure out the coding. :mad:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
My experience with app-connect at the dealership didn't work out. If you want an app-connect key i will gladly sell it to you cheaper than anybody on the internet to try.
Yeah, i completely blanked on difference between discover pro versus discover media. There's another way, as per george's recommendations in the first and second post. I will have more results for that process in the not-so-far future. And we may just get a cable swap going around to make it happen.

McSkripps

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a remote coding session with Jack today to try to remove CP and install the FeCs for my car. Didn't go as planned but that wasn't his fault. I didn't realize that running Windows as a virtual machine on a MacBook Pro would cause driver issues. Trying again Monday and can update you guys. If this ends up not working out for me, I've got a head unit, screen, and USB port that I've verified functionality on if anyone wants to buy the bundle. I'm retrofitting this into a base 2015 GTI S.

danjam

I had a remote coding session with Jack today to try to remove CP and install the FeCs for my car. Didn't go as planned but that wasn't his fault. I didn't realize that running Windows as a virtual machine on a MacBook Pro would cause driver issues. Trying again Monday and can update you guys. If this ends up not working out for me, I've got a head unit, screen, and USB port that I've verified functionality on if anyone wants to buy the bundle. I'm retrofitting this into a base 2015 GTI S.
Instead of virtual, are you just going to run through bootcamp? That's how I use vcds. Also, do you know if your head unit is an 844 or 844a? If the former I would gladly buy it from you [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bigmahlman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thinking about giving this a shot. Has anyone been able to find a way to get the mib1 amp to work with mib2? I'm not having any luck finding one that's not super expensive. Any way to get everything activated without visiting dealership?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thinking about giving this a shot. Has anyone been able to find a way to get the mib1 amp to work with mib2? I'm not having any luck finding one that's not super expensive. Any way to get everything activated without visiting dealership?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was not able to get Mib1 amp, but I did not try to hard based on not hearing of anyone able to do that. Most junk yards list under older part number, but based on year it will be a MIB2. I believe I addressed activation without going to dealer in article; remote activation with proper cable.

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
5Q0 035 844 A

So it's as you said. That's unfortunate. He said I should get a replacement headunit, but now I think he meant different headunit.

He said that because of the SWAP functions applied, it's registered to my VIN and "wont ever work". Also said that my part number couldn't support Nav or App-Connect (even though I had been using Android Auto just fine before having Component Protection removed), but only radio and bluetooth, which is conveniently what my dealership was able to turn on.

I asked if buying an App-Connect key and going back to the dealership would work, he said that it's never been tested. :eek: Thoughts?

I didn't realize there were so many different MIB2 part numbers. So basically no USA according to this list, lol.

Are there any other options besides getting a different headunit and doing this all over again? My dealership had my car for six days trying to figure out the coding. :mad:

So my 2015 USA MK7 R with the MIB1 currently has NAV. If I understand correctly, if I want to still have nav after the MIB2 retrofit upgrade I need to get a unit with part number 3Q0 035 876 according to your list?

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
So my 2015 USA MK7 R with the MIB1 currently has NAV. If I understand correctly, if I want to still have nav after the MIB2 retrofit upgrade I need to get a unit with part number 3Q0 035 876 according to your list?

Correct. Also try to get one that came from a Fender system. Will save you a lot of headache.

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct. Also try to get one that came from a Fender system. Will save you a lot of headache.

Thanks for the quick reply. And I'm guessing that's to avoid having to change the adaptations to add the fender amp?

Also 2 other questions for everyone:

1. Is the person removing component protection and adding App-Connect key remotely still Jack? How did you contact him. I found him on Skype and sent him a message but haven't gotten a reply yet. I wasn't sure if there's a better way to get in touch with him

2. What service/method did you guys use to find your parts at salvage yards. Never got something from a salvage yard before and I'm not too sure where to start with trying to locate these parts

Thanks

wvw89

pm incoming. As for treybyday, what part number do you have? What other info did Alex give you? If it's anything like the info he gave me, it's that the 844 (discover media mib2) can't have his process done to it, only the 0xx (discover pro mib2).

By this process are you refering to applying the app connect FeC at the dealership? Just wanted to know as 3Q0035844 is the part number George mentions in his OP and I was planning on picking one of those up...also is anyone aware of the difference between 3Q0035844 and 3Q0035844 A?

Thanks in advance.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the quick reply. And I'm guessing that's to avoid having to change the adaptations to add the fender amp?

Also 2 other questions for everyone:

1. Is the person removing component protection and adding App-Connect key remotely still Jack? How did you contact him. I found him on Skype and sent him a message but haven't gotten a reply yet. I wasn't sure if there's a better way to get in touch with him

2. What service/method did you guys use to find your parts at salvage yards. Never got something from a salvage yard before and I'm not too sure where to start with trying to locate these parts

Thanks

It's more than just long coding and adaptations, apparently. I am still trying to establish a dialogue with Jack as well, so I'm not sure what all is involved.

As far as salvage yards, I compiled a list of more than 20 around the DFW area, none of which had parts for GTI's 2016+. OP may have better advice.

By this process are you refering to applying the app connect FeC at the dealership? Just wanted to know as 3Q0035844 is the part number George mentions in his OP and I was planning on picking one of those up...also is anyone aware of the difference between 3Q0035844 and 3Q0035844 A?

Thanks in advance.

I picked up the 3Q0035844 A from a guy on Facebook. Not sure what's different in the rev A version. This one came out of a 2017 AllTrack without the Fender system. I've got sound, but it's off and sub is producing vocals.

I'd recommend finding a unit that matches the features of your existing MIB1 as closely as possible. From my experience so far, I've learned that VCDS can only do so much before other cables/programs are required.

wvw89

It's more than just long coding and adaptations, apparently. I am still trying to establish a dialogue with Jack as well, so I'm not sure what all is involved.

As far as salvage yards, I compiled a list of more than 20 around the DFW area, none of which had parts for GTI's 2016+. OP may have better advice.

I picked up the 3Q0035844 A from a guy on Facebook. Not sure what's different in the rev A version. This one came out of a 2017 AllTrack without the Fender system. I've got sound, but it's off and sub is producing vocals.

I'd recommend finding a unit that matches the features of your existing MIB1 as closely as possible. From my experience so far, I've learned that VCDS can only do so much before other cables/programs are required.

Hopefully I won't run into any issues on my non fender system...worst case scenario I guess it's just a matter of sourcing out another head unit.

Thanks for the reply.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!

Did you have any luck getting it to all work?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you have any luck getting it to all work?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Making progress! Anyone have a VAS 5054A cable they'd be willing to lend/sell me? :D