GOLFMKV

JB1 Total Failure at Speed - a bad experience

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
VW Dealer & JB1 possible failure

This is for the benefit of George.

The VW dealer advised that after connecting their diagnosis it indicated a single momentary power interruption. I think that logically it has to have been the JB1 as following the failure the car refused to start even after 5 minutes or so from the time of failure plus on removal of the JB1 the car restarted and no further problems were encountered on what was around an 800 mile drive from UK to southern Portugal. During the past 3-weeks here there have been no issues.

For obvious safety reasons I would not be happy to reconnect this particular JB1 onto the car. Disappointing as it was a great device and operated very successfully for a couple of years on my old MK7. Not sure what to do with the equipment as I would not wish to see it fail again on my car or anyone elses. Of course unless it is reconnected I have no idea if it even operates.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

The VW dealer advised that after connecting their diagnosis it indicated a single momentary power interruption. I think that logically it has to have been the JB1 as following the failure the car refused to start even after 5 minutes or so from the time of failure plus on removal of the JB1 the car restarted and no further problems were encountered on what was around an 800 mile drive from UK to southern Portugal. During the past 3-weeks here there have been no issues.

For obvious safety reasons I would not be happy to reconnect this particular JB1 onto the car. Disappointing as it was a great device and operated very successfully for a couple of years on my old MK7. Not sure what to do with the equipment as I would not wish to see it fail again on my car or anyone elses. Of course unless it is reconnected I have no idea if it even operates.

When you removed the JB1 you also disconnected the battery which could have done a number of things too.
The JB1 is powered from the 5V supply on the boost sensor at the bottom of the engine. Its impossible for this to affect the whole 12V supply where it would cause a gearbox issue or total shut down of power.
I can replace the circuit board on the JB1 and you can sell it on if deep inside its what you think is the cause.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

When you removed the JB1 you also disconnected the battery which could have done a number of things too.
The JB1 is powered from the 5V supply on the boost sensor at the bottom of the engine. Its impossible for this to affect the whole 12V supply where it would cause a gearbox issue or total shut down of power.
I can replace the circuit board on the JB1 and you can sell it on if deep inside its what you think is the cause.

If you want to sell the JB1 for the cost of shipping to the US, I'm game :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

The VW dealer advised that after connecting their diagnosis it indicated a single momentary power interruption.

Did you ask for & get a print out from their diagnostics??…

VCDS virtually 90% of the dealer tool, but not set up in a "do this do that" for dummies way...

Go onto google "briskoda VCDS map"...they have a big UK community & many are good with VCDS & offer their services for beer money...

Basically you need a full fault code scan & all fault codes store the time/date stamp & mileage of car when it happened...also the number of times it has happened since first time..

Stating is a power failure is wrong..a fault code is generated in every module..so what module was it first generated in??…their diagnostics would tell them this...& also what was the fault code?...etc..

Dealer techs & their diagnostics is just very basic...in many ways..

you have too little info to 100% blame the JB unit....& you could end up with it happening again as it could be a car fault...or just a one off coincidence of car fault occurring when running new add on electric box & nothing to do with add on box...I've had that happen...(Autopolar)

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

I don't see why you keep mentioning that this is such a safety issue. The car died (maybe at fault of the JB1 maybe not) and you act like this horribly jeopardized your safety. No it's not ideal to pull off to the side of the road when your car breaks down, but it's not the end of the world. This is no different than the car breaking down any other time of its own accord. Cars break all the time, especially tuned ones. If you were this concerned about “your safety" you should have never put the tuner on there in the first place. I don't mean to be rude but come on man.

greens

Ready to race!
I don't see why you keep mentioning that this is such a safety issue. The car died (maybe at fault of the JB1 maybe not) and you act like this horribly jeopardized your safety. No it's not ideal to pull off to the side of the road when your car breaks down, but it's not the end of the world. This is no different than the car breaking down any other time of its own accord. Cars break all the time, especially tuned ones. If you were this concerned about “your safety" you should have never put the tuner on there in the first place. I don't mean to be rude but come on man.

What exactly do you gain from being argumentative here?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG

George I will go back to this local dealer tomorrow and ask them to show me exactly what they did and to give me a proper report what report was sent to VW. I want my dealer in the UK to have access to the data and then perhaps they can tell me more.

Just one thing I would like to mention and that is the day before we started our trip from the UK I attempted to connect my laptop to the JB1 just to check the settings as the JB1 though only in use for 1 week on the new car was last used on my previous GTI back 4 months ago. For whatever reason it would not connect. I was short of time and so did not pursue it because as far as I was concerned the car was running OK. Now whether this has any bearing on the issue I have no idea.

I will refit it back to this car in a day or two just to see if the car will start with it connected.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If you're worried why bother connecting the JB1 risking damage to your car? George gave you a very generous offer of replacing the PCB. I'd just send it back and decide later whether you want to try it on the MK7.5 again or just sell basically NIB. He can probably run diagnostics on your PCB for faults off the car.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
If you're worried why bother connecting the JB1 risking damage to your car? George gave you a very generous offer of replacing the PCB. I'd just send it back and decide later whether you want to try it on the MK7.5 again or just sell basically NIB. He can probably run diagnostics on your PCB for faults off the car.

Yes, you are quite correct in what you say so I may just do that. Not knowing how the system works or how the car would be affected in terms of a poor plug connection or perhaps something like a dry joint in any wiring I have some concern if it is something other than a PCB issue. Thanks to you and others for their views but as I said I will give the PCB change some thought. One thing for sure is that I really do miss the difference in performance.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG

I have just read what you have written. Now I am always trying to be polite on this forum but now I will say to you. You come across with your comment like an arrogant idiot who is short of gray matter. Whoever and wherever you are in the USA it may be a hell of lot different to being here in the UK or in Europe. I was on a journey from southern England down through Spain and on to southern Portugal. Now use your imagination where I could easily have been in the outside lane of a very busy 4-lane motorway at 120kph coming for example into Madrid where the standard of driving is far from the best and the car dies on me. Imagine suddenly decelerating and then trying to drift across 3 very busy lanes to find a safe place to stop. Virtually impossible as these people drive nose to tail at high speed and have little regard for safety.

As a former Police trained driving instructor who has driven worldwide for the past 40 years or so I can assure that you have no idea of the potential risk in that type of situation irrespective of what vehicle is being driven or whatever the reason for a sudden and total loss of power. Pull off to the side of the road you say; well just try it and see how easy it is. Get out there in the centre of a motorway (but make sure its busy and everyone is doing 80mph tailgating each other) and knock it into neutral.

Let me know how you get on!

Last edited:

greens

Ready to race!
What exactly do you gain from posting this question?

Ditto.

I have just read what you have written. Now I am always trying to be polite on this forum but now I will say to you. You come across with your comment like an arrogant idiot who is short of gray matter. Whoever and wherever you are in the USA it may be a hell of lot different to being here in the UK or in Europe. I was on a journey from southern England down through Spain and on to southern Portugal. Now use your imagination where I could easily have been in the outside lane of a very busy 4-lane motorway at 120kph coming for example into Madrid where the standard of driving is far from the best and the car dies on me. Imagine suddenly decelerating and then trying to drift across 3 very busy lanes to find a safe place to stop. Virtually impossible as these people drive nose to tail at high speed and have little regard for safety.

As a former Police trained driving instructor who has driven worldwide for the past 40 years or so I can assure that you have no idea of the potential risk in that type of situation irrespective of what vehicle is being driven or whatever. the reason for a sudden and total loss of power. Pull of to the side of the road you say; well just try it and see how easy it is. Get out there in the centre of a motorway (but make sure its busy and everyone is doing 80mph tailgating each other), knock it into neutral.

Let me know how you get on!

Precisely.