GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vehicles better with Manual

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
As the title above states, what vehicle can you think of that's better solely with the manual, can be anything.

Example: Tacoma, never drove an automatic, hear it gear hunts and the manual reminds me of my B7. Easy to drive, only immediate fix would be converting the rear drums to disc's.

Your turn

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
my 06 4x4 Taco (4.0) automatic is in the correct gear 99%+ of the time....not the question you asked but free bump.

Auto's are getting better and better there is just a stigma that MT's are for Men.

17 GTI Sport MT I find the transmission easy to shift but kinda floppy lever and I should get out to the garage and remove delay valve.
Mud

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Any underpowered vehicle (hard to even find these days) is better with a manual. IMNSHO.

Vic

Exactly, and even if they're hi-po, still more enjoyable with a stick, since you're not always racing around

my 06 4x4 Taco (4.0) automatic is in the correct gear 99%+ of the time....not the question you asked but free bump.

Auto's are getting better and better there is just a stigma that MT's are for Men.

17 GTI Sport MT I find the transmission easy to shift but kinda floppy lever and I should get out to the garage and remove delay valve.
Mud

I bet, but I've driven my share of performance autos and just find stick more enjoyable. I did, no wrong answer here

Don't own a manual golf, but I'm sure it'd make all the difference

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Everything lol.

That being said, I know MT is dying and autos are equal if not better than the comparable MT. The 6AT in my wife's Accord is pretty good.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Low power, high-revving cars in particular benefit a lot from a stick. Anything you have to muck around in in very low gears, like an off-road thingy.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Of the vehicles I've personally owned...the B5 S4. The auto does not really feel all that good from a dig and on twisty roads. On the highway..it's not too bad. My GF has a Nissan Cube. It's got a fairly short 6 speed manual. The short gearing gives it a fairly peppy feel around town. I'd hate to imagine that car with a auto. I'm really trying to get her into another car:D. Pretty much any grossly underpowered car can feel better with a manual.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Save the manuals! Lol I know cars like the Miata,and FRS/GT-86/BRZ are more fun in the manual version.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Save the manuals! Lol I know cars like the Miata,and FRS/GT-86/BRZ are more fun in the manual version.

You are correct sir! :)

The only automatic we have is our Dodge 2500 Diesel. I can say that rowing gears in that probably wouldn't be that much fun.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you never drove a high performance car from the 60's and 70's you really never drove a manual. They made the clutches and shifters so light to operate now they take all the skill out of driving. Heck, a five-year-old can drive one now if they can reach the pedals.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
If you never drove a high performance car from the 60's and 70's you really never drove a manual. They made the clutches and shifters so light to operate now they take all the skill out of driving. Heck, a five-year-old can drive one now if they can reach the pedals.

Cable operated transmission, yes. Rod based systems like 370/G37 and STi still have a heavy mechanical feel.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion

Oh yah? Let's forget about synchromesh altogether! 4-speed crashbox that requires double clutching and precise rev-matching to even shift. :p

In all candor, I made it around the block once in this beast. By the time I fiddled around enough to actually get it in second, it had slowed down enough that I had to put it back into first. I've never driven it since. :(

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Cable operated transmission, yes. Rod based systems like 370/G37 and STi still have a heavy mechanical feel.

I didn't know that. Good for them. I had cars I didn't dare try to flat shift, back when there were no rev limiters. I thought the 427 'Vette clutch I instaled in my T/A 6.6 Trans Am was heavy until I tried my buddy's modified 10-second 454 Chevelle. I was going to buy it until I drove it.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Oh yah? Let's forget about synchromesh altogether! 4-speed crashbox that requires double clutching and precise rev-matching to even shift. :p

In all candor, I made it around the block once in this beast. By the time I fiddled around enough to actually get it in second, it had slowed down enough that I had to put it back into first. I've never driven it since. :(

Lulz. That is one impressive dinosaur, for sure. Worst I drove was a early seventies (?) Camaro with a three-on-the-tree. Shudder.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Lulz. That is one impressive dinosaur, for sure. Worst I drove was a early seventies (?) Camaro with a three-on-the-tree. Shudder.

I learned to drive in a '71 F-100 column shift, so I'm with ya. It also had no power steering (factory - not broken.) Why waste money on a gym membership, when all you have to do is drive an old truck once a day?