GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden loss of power in 2018 Golf R

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious if anyone else has had this happen?

About a dozen times, most often after filling with gas, if I take off moderately quickly the car just "dies" for about a second. Thought it was DSG going into neutral but now I am thinking fuel to the engine is cut off (need to watch tach). It only lasts a second but can be a bit scary when trying to get out of an intersection and NADA. Seems most often to occur when doing a turn. Only happened once that was not after gassing up.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'd see what the dealer says. If you were new to GTI/R and didn't know about the electronic throttle and turbo lag I would have said you're giving it a little too much gas or left foot braking and touching the brake pedal before you take off. I have 9 years experience with this combination and still sometimes press a little too much on the gas to the point where the engine doesn't respond. And I always make sure I have a running start before making a left turn if there is any traffic in sight.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Could be possibly evap related, n80 purge valve, leak detection pump, maybe even the gas cap itself. Could have a soft code stored. The dealer should be able to diagnose your car is there is a stored fault. They may have take it to the dealer and have them add fuel. Be sure to be adamant about it happening after you fill up so they try to duplicate your concern properly

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Could be possibly evap related, n80 purge valve, leak detection pump, maybe even the gas cap itself. Could have a soft code stored. The dealer should be able to diagnose your car is there is a stored fault. They may have take it to the dealer and have them add fuel. Be sure to be adamant about it happening after you fill up so they try to duplicate your concern properly

Interesting. I drove with a bad N80 on my MK5 and I didn't have any drivability issues.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
happened again today. Tach went from 2K to 4K and I was dead in the water. So it looks like the DSG is going into neutral (on rare occasions) when trying to accelerate from a dead stop and is going to 1st to 2nd. Will take it to the dealer but again wonder if anyone else has had this happen?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Haven't heard anyone complain about this. Why do you care if anyone else has? Take it to the dealer. If you invested in a VCDS you would know.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Is it losing traction enough so that the TC is kicking in and reducing power ? I've read a few reports of loss of power when turning and accelerating hard at the same time.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Hmm sounds like it could either be dsg slip or as you said the day is somehow going into neutral. Hope the dealership can help figure this out for you, sucks having g these issues on a brand new car but stay adamant about them actually fixing it and not just say they couldn't replicate it.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
that's why I wondered if anyone else had this problem. my dealer is very good at denying anything is wrong.
used to have a mazda MX-6. Engine problems which the dealer kept denying until I brought them in an article from Autoweek about the exact problem I was having. Thanks.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
happened again today. Tach went from 2K to 4K and I was dead in the water. So it looks like the DSG is going into neutral (on rare occasions) when trying to accelerate from a dead stop and is going to 1st to 2nd. Will take it to the dealer but again wonder if anyone else has had this happen?
I don't know if you've read the threads about loss of power when accelerating at speed by applying WOT quickly on the freeway. Hitting the kick down switch quickly causes the transmission to drop down a couple or few gears and that transition can take a loooooong second or so to do. I've countered that by never mashing the pedal immediately but rather quickly, smoothly and deliberately. The RPMs spool up, the turbo spools up and the car accelerates nicely.

If instead you mash the throttle and engage the kickdown switch, the RPMs go up to about 4k, there's a hesitation as the transmission shifts and then the car takes off. Most people describe it being like losing gas but I clearly see my tachometer immediately go to 4k much like you are describing so that's not what's happening.

So while you say "moderately" it almost sounds as you're hitting that kickdown switch and reproducing that "loss of power" issue. If you have time, take the car out and experiment on some back roads with different throttle positions. See exactly where you're getting this to happen by foot travel and pay attention to the tach. Give yourself some good data points to post here as well as give to the service guy at the dealer when you bring it in.