GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wiper Replacements

Snitt

Ready to race!
My PIAA ones had a horrible streak right in my line of sight after about 3 months of use. I prepped the windshield as instructed, too. I've been using Bosch Icons ever since then. No stupid windshield preparation, and they've been going strong for over 6 months.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My OEM Valeo blades on my R still perform perfectly and the car will be 2 years old in a couple of months. I will replace them with the same ones, based on that experience.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I bought the bosch aero twins and they're absolutely trash in the snow/rain. They streak constantly and are no where near as good as OEM. I've only had them 6 months and im going to replace them.

Might try icons, but leaning towards OEM once winter ends.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Bought some Bosch (Icon?) replacement wipers a week ago, went to fit them but they won't connect to the wiper arm. According to the book in store they are the right model, went back to check afterwards and everything. But whereas the old wipers have a kind of bulky rectangular bit that connects to the arm, the replacement wipers had sort of a hollow connector. Was the book wrong or is there an adapter I have to transfer from the used blades to the new?

There is a thread on this, you can make them work. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40066

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I bought the bosch aero twins and they're absolutely trash in the snow/rain. They streak constantly and are no where near as good as OEM. I've only had them 6 months and im going to replace them.

Might try icons, but leaning towards OEM once winter ends.

The cheaper Bosch blades are crap, they streak from day one. I ponied up for a pair of Icons for my last car and they lasted over a year in New England heat/cold dry/wet/ice/salt etc and were working beautifully when I traded the car in.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The cheaper Bosch blades are crap, they streak from day one. I ponied up for a pair of Icons for my last car and they lasted over a year in New England heat/cold dry/wet/ice/salt etc and were working beautifully when I traded the car in.

I had icons and on my previous car and absolutely loved them. Someone somewhere told me that the aero twins were the same quality as the icons (just with an oem fitment), which i've discovered is not at all true.

I'm going to grab a set of icons today and swap them, if they aren't any better i think ill just give up and go back to oem.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I had icons and on my previous car and absolutely loved them. Someone somewhere told me that the aero twins were the same quality as the icons (just with an oem fitment), which i've discovered is not at all true.

I'm going to grab a set of icons today and swap them, if they aren't any better i think ill just give up and go back to oem.

An oddity I discovered is that the brands of washer fluid that contain water repellent additives, while controversial (for coating onto the low fliuid sensor), can seriously reduce streaking with blades that would seem worn.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I use the Rain-X 2-in-1 repellant/cleaner in the yellow spray bottle to clean my windshield. The original stuff is too thick, and you still need to clean the glass first. I get at least 2 years, usually more from a set of OEM blades. They don't streak, the rubber just eventually splits at the ends. I have 2 years on my OEM's now with no splits. You need to clean the glass between car washes anyway, so why not apply repellant at the same time. Note: I always wash my car myself. Automatic ones are hard on the blades.

Bbissett

2018 Golf R Wiper Blades

Just picked up my 2018 Golf R and drove thru its first real storm. Not sure why, but the factory wiper blades were pretty terrible. I'm looking to replace them, and historically my go to has always been Bosch Icons. But when I go to the website it does not list any Icon's that will fit, only the cheaper Envision and Snow Driver lines.

Any idea as to why this is?

I noticed other people posted they have Icons on their 2015 and 2016 models. Are the 2018's different?

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
Just picked up my 2018 Golf R and drove thru its first real storm. Not sure why, but the factory wiper blades were pretty terrible. I'm looking to replace them, and historically my go to has always been Bosch Icons. But when I go to the website it does not list any Icon's that will fit, only the cheaper Envision and Snow Driver lines.

I noticed other people posted they have Icons on their 2015 and 2016 models. Are the 2018's different?

They probably haven't updated their catalog. The 2015-17 should be the same. I believe you need a 26" blade for the driver side and 18" for the passenger.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R

The 2018s are the same wiper size so you'll be fine. I usually google the GTI because that has much better results haha. The Bosch Icons are great, the adapters/connectors are a bit physically bigger than the OEM ones they look a bit uglier, but hardly a big difference.

You just have to make sure you get the packaging that says "Clear Max 365" (image below) because that logo basically means that it includes the adapter we need for our cars. Amazon sucks for this because its' the same part number whether it has the adapters or not, so you don't know which one you'll get.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Just for reference. Anyone getting the Bosch Icon wipers will need the OE designation, NOT the A and B. There isn’t a difference with clearmax, that’s only Boshcs technology. The OE has a clip on top that has to be popped of before they’ll fit.